Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky Hardtop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hmmm so I removed the hardtop as the weather is rapidly warming up here in Dallas.

After I got it off, there was an obvious spot on the CF rollbar (drivers side) that had rubbed enough to wear a bit threw the clear coat :cursing:

anyone with this issue? I sprayed the silicone judiciously over all the pads!

It's important to clean really well the CF roll bar as well as the foam strips before putting the hard top on. I started getting some scuffing but caught it early enough to buff it out. I also was reluctant to use silicone spray on the roll bar because I didn't want the foam sliding on the CF. Silicone will facilitate sliding, which will scuff the finish. The solution I found was to use 3M Ultra High Molecular Tape on the ridge that seals against the gasket. The 3M tape is designed for dashboards to reduce squeaking. It's very low friction. You have to cut a strip about 1/2" wide and tape it to the underside of the hard top. Don't put the tape anywhere that might touch the CF or any surface that will scratch.

The tape will last about a month before you have to replace it because it starts squeaking again. Not perfect but best solution I've been able to find.

hmmm so I removed the hardtop as the weather is rapidly warming up here in Dallas.

After I got it off, there was an obvious spot on the CF rollbar (drivers side) that had rubbed enough to wear a bit threw the clear coat :cursing:

anyone with this issue? I sprayed the silicone judiciously over all the pads!

When you re-install it next time, you could remove the old weather stripping from the top and stick the new stuff onto the roll bar where the problem ocurred. that way the wear/movement would be on the top instead of the roll bar. By the way, for any of you out there that still have a problem with squeaking with the top on the car, by far the best solution I found was to leave the screws just slightly loose instead of making them wrench tight. You can tighten them down with a wrench and then back them off maybe a half turn or so. I was amazed at the difference, my squeaks are gone.

thanks guys, could you take a pic of where you installed the 3m tape and a link (amazon?) to what kind?

I just re-applied the anti-friction tape treatment to the underside of my hard top. It's quiet now - a nice relief! It will get progressively worse over the next month or so and then I'll have to apply new tape again. I took a pic so you can see where I've applied the tape to the raised ridge that comes in contact with the rubber gasket that's on the car in front of the roll bar. I run the tape all the way to the end including most of the rubber part. I trim the tape to about 1/2 inch wide. Maybe less on the rubber parts at the end.

UndersideWithTape.JPG

This problem is driving me crazy. I tried spraying silicone lubricant around all of the surfaces that contact with the car. It was wonderfully effective for about 20 minutes of driving, then it went back to being really annoying.

Has anyone found an effective solution?

This year my hard top is quite quiet. I did add a few foam strip from some adhesive foam from Lowes. It is in the Insulation section. I suspect that a proper install also affects noise. There is hope as mine is quiet but not 100% sure what I did to fix.

My ranger gave me these pointers for the install:

• Use an allen wrench with a rounded end. It'll make it much easier to install the bolts with the wrench on an angle.
  • First position the hard top and install all bolts, but don't tighten.
  • Fully tighten the rear bolts, then tighten the fronts.
  • Be careful with the alignment of the cover panel bolts and don't over-tighten. These are easy to cross-thread.

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time trying to solve the problem. The solution for me was to leave the bolts a little loose. I would say snug them down and then back them off half a turn or so. For me that was the end of the problem. It bugged me to leave them loose but it doesn't bother me anymore. The car doesn't need the top as a structural piece. It would be a good idea to check once in awhile and make sure the bolts have not loosened too much, that reminds me...:biggrin:

So far, adding more foam strips is working. We drove 2 hours, 72 miles, in four segments, mostly on freeways where the squeaking had been the worst, and didn't hear anything from the hard top at all. I'll want to do more driving before I call it a success, but it's sounding very good so far.

Here's what Cathy and I did:

I measured the existing foam strips at approximately 15/16" wide by 3/8" thick. At Home Depot, I purchased Rubber Foam Weatherseal that's 1 1/4" x 7/16" ($7.67 for ten feet). We applied it next to the existing strips, approximately as shown by the blue rectangles below.

Roadster-Hardtop-Foam2.jpg

We then placed the hard top on the car, put in the four screws finger snug, then tightened down the rear screws, then the fronts, then put on the front cover piece.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and helping us find what appears to have solved the problem!

This has been a great thread!
Thanks to all for good ideas and great solution to the hard top creeeeeekkkkk!
I'm having trouble getting motivated to remove the clear top. I love looking up and seeing the sky.......but....... If it ever gets cold here in MD ( washed #992 outside last week ..... 70 degrees! ........gotta love that Global Warming!!! Even if it is a fantasy of one Political Party around here .......or so they say ...........NOT!!!) I will use the afore mentioned padding to ease the annoyance.

Thanks again. :biggrin::biggrin:

I think I found a real and lasting solution to the squeaky hard top problem. The rear brackets do not have any felt or cushioning on them. Even when tight they do not fully seal the hard top. So I added a little bit of weather stripping in the bottom of the U. For 3 plus weeks all has been quiet. The first shot is of the stock bracket. The second after I added a 1/4" of soft foam weather stripping.
PC220007.JPG
PC220013.JPG