Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky Scratchy Sound When Turning Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two days ago I noticed a squeaky scratchy (for lack of better terminology) noise which appears to come from the steering column of my 2018 mid-range Model 3 with 32,000 miles on it. This happens every time I turn I turn the steering wheel right or left, even a small amount. This happens whether the car is moving or not. It's not particularly loud but definitely noticeable.

Does anyone have an idea what is causing this.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

I know you want an opinion by posting here, but just take it to the service center.
Okay, I've done that - for the steering wheel noise and also a needed tire rotation.

But the earliest service date I could get is November 20 - over a month away. My next question is driving the car with this steering wheel noise until then damaging to the car or perhaps even dangerous?

Okay, I've done that - for the steering wheel noise and also a needed tire rotation.

But the earliest service date I could get is November 20 - over a month away. My next question is driving the car with this steering wheel noise until then damaging to the car or perhaps even dangerous?

Update 10//17/2020 Based just on my noise complaint I see the Service Center has ordered a FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH. So I guess they figure that is the problem. I kinda need the car so will search on this part in this forum to see if driving with the squeak is a problem.

Interesting. This is one thing I have seen on my one month old M3 and my wife’s 3 month old M3. I’ve only noticed it when there is no music playing and its quiet and I turn the steering wheel. Since it was on both, I just assumed it was normal.

They are just throwing parts at the problem. BAU.

Plenty of people had their UCAAs replaced (with older and most recent part numbers) and its either done wonders or nothing at all to fix their issues.

There are as many sources or potential sources of noise from the chassis and suspension as there are multi-page threads about that on here and other Tesla fora.

@BruceInFlorida I've had the exact same problem as you described above 2 days ago! Did you figure out, what is the exact problem, if you can further drive with it & how much the potential costs of repair would be? Cheers from Melbourne!
Does Melbourne have Tesla service centres or mobile techs? If so, and your car is still under warranty, it should be free to have it looked at, and likely repaired. Do you hear the noise all the time like Bruce?

Does Melbourne have Tesla service centres or mobile techs? If so, and your car is still under warranty, it should be free to have it looked at, and likely repaired. Do you hear the noise all the time like Bruce?
@BruceInFlorida I've had the exact same problem as you described above 2 days ago! Did you figure out, what is the exact problem, if you can further drive with it & how much the potential costs of repair would be? Cheers from Melbourne!
I ended up taking my M3 to the local service center where they fixed the problem.I don't know the cost as it was under warranty. My understanding is that it was safe to drive with the scratchy sound but very annoying.