Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squealing Brakes....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every morning when I back out of my driveway, my brakes yell at the top of their lungs. So much so that even my neighbor a few days ago asked if that was my new car making that sound. This began as the temperature started cooling here in SoCal so I thought maybe it was the moisture it built up throughout the night and the problem only happens in the morning. During the summer, it would make that sound after I would wash my car. But now, it's happening when I leave for work too! Also only when I back out. I rarely use my brakes so it's not that i've already gone through them. Got my car in July and have 3k miles on it. Anybody else having this issue or am I going to have to go into the service center. :(

Every morning when I back out of my driveway, my brakes yell at the top of their lungs. So much so that even my neighbor a few days ago asked if that was my new car making that sound. This began as the temperature started cooling here in SoCal so I thought maybe it was the moisture it built up throughout the night and the problem only happens in the morning. During the summer, it would make that sound after I would wash my car. But now, it's happening when I leave for work too! Also only when I back out. I rarely use my brakes so it's not that i've already gone through them. Got my car in July and have 3k miles on it. Anybody else having this issue or am I going to have to go into the service center. :(
Mine would squeal at very low speeds while turning left. They changed the brake caliper clips and I am squeal free.

• Informative
Reactions: BOBEDIGITL

Last time I picked up the car from the SC I heard this horrendous squeal from one side, way louder than anything I ever heard from any pad/disc combination I’ve ever had.

I drove the car home and then, as tradition has it these days, drove it right back to the SC the next day. The respective brake now both squeals and grinds under hard braking. Without having looked at it, I’d guess the pad’s structural integrity must have been compromised, which would lead it to vibrate in all kinds of unintended ways.

I observed this behavior consistently, with only one of the front brakes. Coincidentally, this also happened as the temperatures started dropping (not really that cold around here through).

• Informative
Reactions: BOBEDIGITL

This happened to me too. They told me it's from never really using the brakes due to regen, then pressing them so lightly (like while backing up).

Try getting up to speed and SAFELY pressing the breaks very hard a few times to give them some wear. If that doesn't work, Tesla will replace them.

This happened to me too. They told me it's from never really using the brakes due to regen, then pressing them so lightly (like while backing up).

Try getting up to speed and SAFELY pressing the breaks very hard a few times to give them some wear. If that doesn't work, Tesla will replace them.

I'll have to give that a try. It's not like I haven't used them before but maybe I just haven't used them enough. My only concern is that it just started happening and only when i'm slowing backing up. Luckily I have an appt with them on the 26th for another issue so I'll definitely be bringing it up to them.

Mine would squeal at very low speeds while turning left. They changed the brake caliper clips and I am squeal free.

Hopefully my solution is something as simple as this. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

Resurrecting an old threat... my brakes don't squeal when I drive the car daily, BUT... if I don't drive the car for a week or two, like now because I'm working remotely, they squeal real loud for a block or two. This isn't sporadic, this occurs every time the car sits for a week or so.

The rust issue is worsened if the clips that push the brake pads away from the rotors are damaged/broken. I check them every fall when I clean up and lube the slides on my brakes. I have spare clips on hand. Don’t do this unless you really know what you are doing though.

FYI I do this once a year due to Ohio salt use in the winter.