Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squealing from rear end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've had my M3 for about 2.5 months, and for a while I thought the tires just sucked, but I don't think it's the tires. I've been noticing noises from the rear end, there is a squealing sound when I'm turning (and not tire squeal from going to fast). I hear it when the regen braking is happening too, and turning certain angles, I can't always hear it, but it happens often. So often that I go incredibly slow around corners or when turning so people don't think I'm hooning around, which is frustrating. I just want to be sure this is, in fact, not normal before I make a service request. I put together a compilation of clips that I've recorded, mainly as proof for the service request, because I kinda assume they'll just blow me off as going to fast around corners.

Also, I've had issues with it keeping centered in the lane, whether I'm driving or it is, a lot of tiny corrections are needed to stay straight. And I've had scary moments in the rain where the back end kicks out, even at 45mph. I'm putting all the pieces together and thinking they're all related and that something is up with the axle, drive train, wheel bearing or something else back there. I guess I'm just looking for thoughts?

In case anyone was curious, definitely an alignment issue, don't know why I didn't check the tires before, but finally did yesterday... Don't think I'll be driving it until my appointment.

Attachments

• IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
So Tesla Service is saying that they'll fix the alignment for free, but "we don't cover tires" and are expecting me to pay $650 after only driving the car for 2700 miles. Is there anyone higher up I can contact because this is ridiculous? Can you actually call a service center and speak to a manager?

So Tesla Service is saying that they'll fix the alignment for free, but "we don't cover tires" and are expecting me to pay $650 after only driving the car for 2700 miles. Is there anyone higher up I can contact because this is ridiculous? Can you actually call a service center and speak to a manager?
Doesn't hurt to try. You could always tweet your predicament to Elon, too.

I don't know what tires those were, but the tirerack price of those tires is likely in the $200 range each.