Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squealing from regen braking - Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Err0r

May 26, 2017
TX
Hi all,

I have taken my 2017 Tesla 75D twice to service for the same issue and they diagnose and resolve the issue the same way each time which is not what is happening with my car.

When I slow down to make a right turn without applying any brakes, the left front makes a squealing type noise very similar to when applying the brakes, but it's slightly different pitch squeak noise. The noise continues throughout the turn and a few seconds after accelerating. There are random times when I will be driving straight and let off the accelerator and hear this same squeak intermittently. But it will always happen coasting on a right turn and how I reproduce the issue every time to the techs.

I have told the service center tech this is happening with regen braking and not when I apply the brakes. I have taken 2 techs on a drive now, one of them driving and reproducing the issue just like I tell him to. All done without applying any brakes, all done through the regen braking. The techs say yea it's not normal.

I just got my car back after the 2nd appointment for this issue, here is what is on the invoice:

Concern: Customer states squeaks from brake pedal when releasing
Pay Type: Goodwill
Corrections: Brake Discs and Calipers General Diagnosis
Removed the front left wheel and inspected the dust shield - No foreign objects found.
Performed a brake deglaze by setting regenerative braking to 'Low', and performed a
series of hard stops to scrub any excess debris collected on the brake pads. This is
something that can be expected to happen over time, especially in humid weather or after
rain. The Tesla regenerative braking system places less stress on the brakes themselves,
and a buildup is natural. Brake noise has been eliminated

Even after I repeatedly specified it's not from the brakes but they keep diagnosing my issue like the above. I told them when I picked up my car I have a feeling I will be back. I took the car, and it didn't do the issue at first so I was like OK maybe they did fix it but too early to say. The noise came back after driving it for about 30 minutes and now I have a 3rd appointment scheduled.

Really frustrated with this and want to see if anyone else has had this issue and know what it could be?

Thanks!

The noise continues throughout the turn and a few seconds after accelerating.

I’m afraid I can’t help much with the issue, but I did notice that this sentence is key. Regen brakes use the drive motor, but it turns in reverse. So if you are still hearing the noise as you accelerate then it absolutely cannot be a regen issue because regen and acceleration cannot physically happen at the same time.

I work in IT and I will say that sometimes people accidentally shoot themselves in the foot when they try to ‘self’ diagnose their issues. It’s easy to do as people naturally want to know what’s going on, but if you come in and say “I have this problem with regen braking” but the problem isn’t actually related to regen then it’s quite possible that the technician will get sidetracked by the mention of regen and spend a lot of time diagnosing the regen system and not finding any problems and totally missing the real problem.

You will probably have better luck coming in and just giving them a list of symptoms... “when I take my foot off the accellerator and make a right turn I hear a sound coming from the left front”. Maybe even see if you can take a ride with the technician to point out the noise to him.

I’m afraid I can’t help much with the issue, but I did notice that this sentence is key. Regen brakes use the drive motor, but it turns in reverse. So if you are still hearing the noise as you accelerate then it absolutely cannot be a regen issue because regen and acceleration cannot physically happen at the same time.

I work in IT and I will say that sometimes people accidentally shoot themselves in the foot when they try to ‘self’ diagnose their issues. It’s easy to do as people naturally want to know what’s going on, but if you come in and say “I have this problem with regen braking” but the problem isn’t actually related to regen then it’s quite possible that the technician will get sidetracked by the mention of regen and spend a lot of time diagnosing the regen system and not finding any problems and totally missing the real problem.

You will probably have better luck coming in and just giving them a list of symptoms... “when I take my foot off the accellerator and make a right turn I hear a sound coming from the left front”. Maybe even see if you can take a ride with the technician to point out the noise to him.

Didn't even think of it like that. You are right. I will be sure to mention this when I drop it off Friday. Thanks for this feedback.

I have taken 2 techs on the ride, one even driving my vehicle and reproducing the issue. Figured that would be good enough but stuck in the same issue.

It could be the steering system too. The noise only happens as you're slowing down or accelerating and turning? What about if you simply slow down to a stop, without turning? You can try an experiment in an empty parking lot to see exactly how to reproduce it. If the noise only happens while turning, then it's likely a problem with the steering system.

I hope they fix it for you soon!

I have a 2022 Model Y and only when I am decelarating on “hold” setting and turning all the way to the left or right, there is a rubbing noise from the front. My technician first said it was normal. A second technician later decided to replace the entire front drivetrain and it still makes the same noise. Not on braking, never when going straight, and rarely if not on the “hold” setting. Wondering if you have forgives this out by now?