Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeeky suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago, I noticed an incredibly loud squeeking noise coming from (what sounds like) the front passenger wheel well. It specifically happens when the car bounces, leading me to believe it has something to do with the suspension arm. I also hear it when I turn the steering wheel, although it's not as bad as when the car bounces. I have an appointment tomorrow to drop the car off for service and eval.

The interesting thing.... After I made my appoinemt, I received an email from Tesla service with a pdf for me to sign that states they assume they know what the issue is.... Apparently, they need to replace the "windshield washer inlet valve".

Wtf does that have to do with the squeeking I hear?

Of course, I plan on getting more info tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone has had a similar issue and/or understands how a windshield wiper inlet valve could be involved.

I had my Model X in a few times for the half shaft replacement. After the vehicle was returned to me after the most recent replacement, I noticed a creaking sound coming from the front suspension that sounds like what you're experiencing. I would hear it at lower speeds over small bumps and while moving the steering wheel. They replaced the control arm since they found premature wear due to the motor mount tear from a previous service.

May be this.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 160
Or this.

Concern: Customer states of the vehicle makes a clicking noise on bumpy roads and slower
speeds. Customer to confirm on test drive.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Replace Front Stabilizer Bar Links
Replaced passenger front stabilizer link. Noise no longer present.
Part Quantity
FR STABAR LINK LH (1027391-00-B) 1

I had my Model X in a few times for the half shaft replacement. After the vehicle was returned to me after the most recent replacement, I noticed a creaking sound coming from the front suspension that sounds like what you're experiencing. I would hear it at lower speeds over small bumps and while moving the steering wheel. They replaced the control arm since they found premature wear due to the motor mount tear from a previous service.

What were the symptoms that led Tesla to do half shaft replacement? I think I might be in same situation.

Yup, that describes exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll definitely know more after my service appointment, but I suspected it was the control arm as well. Thanks for your input!

My new ‘raven’ model X is in today for a clicking/knocking noise from front suspension at low speeds. Will update once they diagnose.

Congrats on your Raven! I took delivery of an inventory vehicle and I haven’t test driven the Raven. Wondering if the wheels vibration normal at freeway speed 65-70mph? I haven’t felt any acceleration shudder but the wheels vibration seemed to be very noticeable. Is this normal for the X?

Congrats on your Raven! I took delivery of an inventory vehicle and I haven’t test driven the Raven. Wondering if the wheels vibration normal at freeway speed 65-70mph? I haven’t felt any acceleration shudder but the wheels vibration seemed to be very noticeable. Is this normal for the X?

Not normal. Mine is smooth as glass at highway speeds. Almost too smooth.

We had our upper control arms replaced because of the noise you described!
Since they told us “they never heard that noise before” and we had passed 50k miles already we had to pay for it.
It was about $530 each side...

I was past my 50k warranty too but "luckily" they just replaced my half shaft before the noise started so they attributed the control arm issue to the associated repairs. I'm starting to hear a single "knock" on the right front side on hard accelerations, so I'll probably have to pay out for the repair on that if needed.

What were the symptoms that led Tesla to do half shaft replacement? I think I might be in same situation.

There's a huge acceleration shutter post about the half shaft issue. Mine sounded like a grinding noise at speeds higher than 40 mph. Word is, the angle of the shaft and the joint is more stressed under hard accelerations and normal suspension height. After a replacement, my suspension was set at low, which I'm hoping will fend off the issue. I also had a torn motor mount issue in which I would get a rattle/clicking noise at spirited acceleration, which was unrelated to the half shaft issue, but might have resulted because of the repair process.

So Telsa tried to give me back my MX today. I took a drive before accepting it and the knocking from the front suspension was still there. I told them and they sent the tech out with me who agreed it was occurring. The rep then came back out and told me this was just normal and there was nothing they could do! They said; 'it's a new suspension system and we have no info on how to fix this' and that the engineer said it was just normal.

I left it with them but now in a position where I may have to return the car. I am not accepting a 100k car with suspension noise from 20 year wreck with shot suspension.

Just got the car back. Replaced the control arm (just as suspected). Noise is now gone.

I did inquire about the 'windshield wiper inlet valve". Basically, they just put anything to get the service on the books with something official under warranty.

In any event, parts replaced free of charge and car back to normal!

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
A few days ago, I noticed an incredibly loud squeeking noise coming from (what sounds like) the front passenger wheel well. It specifically happens when the car bounces, leading me to believe it has something to do with the suspension arm. I also hear it when I turn the steering wheel, although it's not as bad as when the car bounces. I have an appointment tomorrow to drop the car off for service and eval.

The interesting thing.... After I made my appoinemt, I received an email from Tesla service with a pdf for me to sign that states they assume they know what the issue is.... Apparently, they need to replace the "windshield washer inlet valve".

Wtf does that have to do with the squeeking I hear?

Of course, I plan on getting more info tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone has had a similar issue and/or understands how a windshield wiper inlet valve could be involved.

I feel your pain, I have an appointment to address the same issue for the 3rd time this coming Friday. So here is what I know, the noise IS from your suspension. On my 1st visit to Tesla Service, 1 month into ownership, they swapped out my two front strut towers but the problem still existed. On the 2nd Tesla Service they "over lubed the sway bars", their terminology. This worked for about 2K miles. Now the problem is back again and in addition there is a popping/rattle noise coming from the front passenger floor board area. I've coined the noise to be like the sound to the noise the door openers and closers on a MX make. Kind of a popping noise if you will. It happens when the vehicles body flexes or is under strain. Wish me luck, hoping the repair is a perminant one this time!!!

It happens when the vehicles body flexes or is under strain. Wish me luck, hoping the repair is a perminant one this time!!!
I have what I think is the same issue. Only happens to me at slow speeds on roads that have a lot of poorly or partially filled potholes. You can feel the car torque and flex. Not sure where the sound is coming from. My first thought was the FWDs flexing but it will be interesting to hear what is found in your case.

Also BTW I too did have both my front struts replaced and the sway bar links too because of front end knocking. This sound is different.

And then I have one more rattle project too: The lower panel on the trunk door has a bit of a rattle too. I have some replacement clips to see if that helps. Sometimes those metal clips just break.

I have what I think is the same issue. Only happens to me at slow speeds on roads that have a lot of poorly or partially filled potholes. You can feel the car torque and flex. Not sure where the sound is coming from. My first thought was the FWDs flexing but it will be interesting to hear what is found in your case.

Also BTW I too did have both my front struts replaced and the sway bar links too because of front end knocking. This sound is different.

And then I have one more rattle project too: The lower panel on the trunk door has a bit of a rattle too. I have some replacement clips to see if that helps. Sometimes those metal clips just break.

I posted about a trunk rattle on the forums last week, did you check the plastic drain on the bottom of the door?

Model X - Trunk Rattle Solved