Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

squirrel guard and tesla install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the DC metro , and apparently squirrels are a big issue here, and chew things and damage solar
The local solar installers always charge extra and install squirrel guard ..what ever that is.
Mammals have teeth, and they use them

I was not informed / given a choice in Tesla install
Since Tesla install team is separate with no direct communication allowed , its not even something i am able to ask if it was included
Any comments ?

Is it installed in tesla systems ?
How can we get it ? can 3rd part install it , if tesla does not install
I rather pay for it now, vs have tesla downtime , and run around
Also what is covered in warranty. assuming squirrel damage in 3 years the system

I believe squirrel guard is a chicken wire looking mesh that goes around the racking to prevent birds and pests from getting up under the panels.

I think Tesla usually uses asks installers to affix skirts around their panels to look more cool. I guess skirts can keep out a wily squirrel too.

There are people that install the mesh screen on solar. I live in Northern California and had my 48 panels screened. It cost approximately $1,500 to do all the panels.

It is my understanding that Tesla will do the screening. They are more expensive. Good Luck, these varmints eat the connection wires and damage solar installations. Tesla with all their technology needs to figure out a way to protect the solar panel wire connection. It would not be hard to protect all the connection points.

There are people that install the mesh screen on solar. I live in Northern California and had my 48 panels screened. It cost approximately $1,500 to do all the panels.

It is my understanding that Tesla will do the screening. They are more expensive. Good Luck, these varmints eat the connection wires and damage solar installations. Tesla with all their technology needs to figure out a way to protect the solar panel wire connection. It would not be hard to protect all the connection points.
Can you please advise more
How can i get this done

Did you pay tesla or a 3rd party
Does it void Tesla warranty if 3rd party
If tesla did it , was it a option before the install
I doubt they will run a new truck roll , just to install a screen

Tesla with all their technology needs to figure out a way to protect the solar panel wire connection.
They have. It's called the Tesla Solar Roof. 🙂

We have squirrels where I live but the tree squirrels are not too bad. It's the ground squirrels that chew everything up. Wires, drip lines, you name it.

Squirrels, like other rodents, have teeth that constantly grow and are always looking for things to chew on to wear them down.

They have. It's called the Tesla Solar Roof. 🙂

We have squirrels where I live but the tree squirrels are not too bad. It's the ground squirrels that chew everything up. Wires, drip lines, you name it.

Squirrels, like other rodents, have teeth that constantly grow and are always looking for things to chew on to wear them down.

Great point about the solar roof!

Just because their teeth are growing, doesn't mean that I condone their behavior...

Yes, drip irrigation lines, under foundations, excavations under the driveway, around entire fence posts, you name it. This past year has been nutso with a superabundance of ground squirrels. We had them burrowing places that they haven't ever been before.

If you have tree squirrels or birds, or leaves that could get trapped under the panels, I would definitely look into pest abatement.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: aesculus
Had this problem with an existing system. Once I knew they were going up there, chased them off a few times. That kept them away for a while. Then we started feeding the neighborhood cats, squirrels will no longer even step foot in our yard. The Tesla skirting is useless, still plenty of room for rodents/birds to get under. They really should make the wiring harness chew proof, or protected in some way.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
Just what I need. The sound and sight of a partially squished squirrel echoing through our yard. 🙂

I even imported a few rattlesnakes from a neighbor and the damn squirrels killed one of them too. I understand there is some natural species adaptation going on between the rattlesnakes and ground squirrels in So Cal where each is outwitting the other. So now we are getting super rattlesnakes and super squirrels. Climate change and COVID were bad enough!

I feel like the solution here is to teach the squirrels a lesson if they get up near the panels. Enphase should incorporate a feature in their mcros where the device can emit an electric pulse if acorns are detected. IQ9 When?

images

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
26942A32-C7C6-4637-83C1-374A992EA222.jpeg

7C00BBA6-9DAD-4132-94D4-E91C151AAB5C.jpeg

This was the pest abatement wire screening installed on our system by Tesla back in Sept last year. Pre-arranged, paid for and done at install. The roof ridge side of the panels as you can see are left open normally and while the side and front skirts make for a more attractive look, they still leave air space where some pests can gain access. The screening used on our panels seems to be pretty common and allows a good amount of air flow to pass through between panel and roof. The panels will generate a good amount of heat that you’ll want dissipated. We’ve seen birds on our roof on occassion and seen squirrels climb the stucco walls to the roof. On one occasion we saw a roof rat on a fence and know they are all over the Bay Area. You really don’t want birds nesting under your panels creating a mess or other critters chewing on the wiring. Bird poop as you know from it on car finishes is caustic and will eventually affect your roof tiles plus is a pain to remove from under your panels when it accumulates.

In some cases the screening was attached to our panel edge first and then skirt applied. In other places along our roof edge it was attached directly to the skirt face; but it was attached around the entire array perimeter.

Last edited:
View attachment 729503

View attachment 729510

This was the pest abatement wire screening installed on our system by Tesla back in Sept last year. Pre-arranged, paid for and done at install. The roof ridge side of the panels as you can see are left open normally and while the side and front skirts make for a more attractive look, they still leave air space where some pests can gain access. The screening used on our panels seems to be pretty common and allows a good amount of air flow to pass through between panel and roof. The panels will generate a good amount of heat that you’ll want dissipated. We’ve seen birds on our roof on occassion and seen squirrels climb the stucco walls to the roof. On one occasion we saw a roof rat on a fence and know they are all over the Bay Area. You really don’t want birds nesting under your panels creating a mess or other critters chewing on the wiring. Bird poop as you know from it on car finishes is caustic and will eventually affect your roof tiles plus is a pain to remove from under your panels when it accumulates.

In some cases the screening was attached to our panel edge first and then skirt applied. In other places along our roof edge it was attached directly to the skirt face; but it was attached around the entire array perimeter.
"Pre-arranged, paid for and done at install"
Did they gave you this option, or did you ask for it ?
How much did they charge approx ?
My rep is not responsive, it will be a humongous task to get anything from tesla.

"Pre-arranged, paid for and done at install"
Did they gave you this option, or did you ask for it ?
How much did they charge approx ?
My rep is not responsive, it will be a humongous task to get anything from tesla.
Sorry for delay in answering. No we had asked them about it. Had read someone on the forum mention pest abatement so called and asked. Preferred to get done at time of install by same Tesla team. We were among the few in our area at that time to get this done. The lead solar guy said he had only installed on one other house and trained his guys while putting up ours. That was back in August/Sept. last year with the complex fires on both sides of us. I think we paid something like $1500-1600 for it, separate from our contract and up front I think. Guess pricing based in part on the perimeter length of materials.

Glad we saw the mention in the forum and were able to schedule it before our install. It might have cost a bit more than going thru a third party but felt it was preferable to only have one team instead of two up on our cement tile roof. Guys did a nice job and we have heard birds and squirrels up on the roof in the past, and since, and glad to know they aren’t getting under the panels.

BTW we have 24 panels split over 2 roof sections and neither installed as a rectangle as indicated in my photos due to roof setback spacing and vents, so had more exposed area to cover than otherwise.

If you are having trouble getting through to your advisor, call the main Energy number and speak to whomever answers and say you need to schedule pest abatement before your install. We were told a price and sent a contract for it. They’ll need to order the materials ahead of time so it gets put on the truck when they roll it. This is also assuming they are still doing this, but we’re likely both in the same warehouse area the teams come out of so I think good chance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Sorry for delay in answering. No we had asked them about it. Had read someone on the forum mention pest abatement so called and asked. Preferred to get done at time of install by same Tesla team. We were among the few in our area at that time to get this done. The lead solar guy said he had only installed on one other house and trained his guys while putting up ours. That was back in August/Sept. last year with the complex fires on both sides of us. I think we paid something like $1500-1600 for it, separate from our contract and up front I think. Guess pricing based in part on the perimeter length of materials.

Glad we saw the mention in the forum and were able to schedule it before our install. It might have cost a bit more than going thru a third party but felt it was preferable to only have one team instead of two up on our cement tile roof. Guys did a nice job and we have heard birds and squirrels up on the roof in the past, and since, and glad to know they aren’t getting under the panels.

BTW we have 24 panels split over 2 roof sections and neither installed as a rectangle as indicated in my photos due to roof setback spacing and vents, so had more exposed area to cover than otherwise.

If you are having trouble getting through to your advisor, call the main Energy number and speak to whomever answers and say you need to schedule pest abatement before your install. We were told a price and sent a contract for it. They’ll need to order the materials ahead of time so it gets put on the truck when they roll it. This is also assuming they are still doing this, but we’re likely both in the same warehouse area the teams come out of so I think good chance.
Great info...thanks.
How is this different from the skirting shown in standard Tesla marketing photos?