Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Squishy" sound during low speed <15mph - Performance Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to drive with my windows down today and noticed an intermittent "squishy" sound while driving at speeds 15mph or less. The sound seems to vary by the rate of speed, so possibly wheel or tire related. Any other Performance Y owners notice this? Will be setting up a service appt soon.

Sounds like the PWS (pedestrian warning system), which is apparently present on some Model Y unit. Here's a video that shows it in action on Model 3:

Thank you for sharing, but the sound is definitely not that. My sound is intermittent, like at a specific point on the tire or wheel that triggers with each revolution. The tires look fine, so will see if the SC can look at the wheels.

Happened to drive with my windows down today and noticed an intermittent "squishy" sound while driving at speeds 15mph or less. The sound seems to vary by the rate of speed, so possibly wheel or tire related. Any other Performance Y owners notice this? Will be setting up a service appt soon.
I have noticed a crackling sound from my wheels when driving slowly through the drive thru.
I think it is from the wheel covers.
I have a LR Y with the smaller wheels.

I have noticed a crackling sound from my wheels when driving slowly through the drive thru.
I think it is from the wheel covers.
I have a LR Y with the smaller wheels.

Yeah, I saw the thread about the wheel cover noise. I have the 21" Ubertines, so no wheel covers. Service appt is set of 8/31...soonest I could get for the SC near me. I'm thinking it could be a busted belt in a tire, but I don't notice any vibrations while driving.

I have heard the same thing. I was thinking its the tire covers...I might remove and see what happens. It's amazing when you don't have engine noise what you do hear...my ac fan is hella loud as well

These wheels don't have tire covers, but my noise may be a somewhat similar issue...the center cap. Its been too hot around here to spend too much time trying to narrow it down, but my neighbor and I tried to see what would happen if we removed the center cap. Based on the very short distance I tested, it seemed to cure the noise. When I put the center cap back on, the noise still seemed to be gone. It's still going to the SC on Monday to get checked out, as well as for my separating spoiler.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Quick update...

I dropped off the Y at the SC last week and they determined the "squishy" sound is coming from the center cap. If you notice this sound, try popping off your center cap (Ubertine wheels), rotate them or apply light oil to the retention springs, and pop them back on.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but my car MYP is making the same exact noise! like the video you recording, i wouldn't know the difference between yours in my car.

My issue is I did remove the center cap thing and it still made that noise! Doh...

Reactions: tylermatney
Did you get this noise fixed as well? If so, what was the solution? My MYP is making an identical noise. I’d like to save myself a trip to service.
Not yet. I tried lubricating the center cap and nothing. It’s a constant rubbery sound. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I tried letting air out of the tire and filling it back up thinking it had something to do with how it was seated. That was not it. It could be the CV boots. They look okay, but maybe they’re misaligned somehow. If it was a brake pad I’d be a little concerned about the surface of the disk. But brake pad to disk sound doesn’t sound rubbery… my service appointment is Friday. It’s kind of embarrassing to be driving it in town and in the parking garage at work as it’s obviously a brand new car and an expensive one at that. Also, it didn’t stop when it rained.

Not yet. I tried lubricating the center cap and nothing. It’s a constant rubbery sound. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I tried letting air out of the tire and filling it back up thinking it had something to do with how it was seated. That was not it. It could be the CV boots. They look okay, but maybe they’re misaligned somehow. If it was a brake pad I’d be a little concerned about the surface of the disk. But brake pad to disk sound doesn’t sound rubbery… my service appointment is Friday. It’s kind of embarrassing to be driving it in town and in the parking garage at work as it’s obviously a brand new car and an expensive one at that. Also, it didn’t stop when it rained.
I’m curious to hear what they tell you. Soonest available time for service is march 8th for me. I took all caps out and the noise persisted. I’m getting by pretending other people think it’s something in my tire…but I know better.

Reactions: tylermatney