Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Fred42
I'm not sure how trustworthy the account in that article is, based on what it says in Step 1. It says to place an SR+ order and not include Autopilot. Autopilot is standard and there's no option to deselect it when placing the SR+ order online (unless I'm missing something).

I would not do what the author is suggesting. I would just call Tesla sales and ask them to place the order for you. But the article is helpful in at least letting people know that the car still exists and can be ordered offline for those who want it. If you don’t need autopilot, that is a lot of car for $35K.

I’m not sure I’d do what the article suggests either. But then again calling and placing an order over the phone sounds messy. Ordering the SR+ and then asking to be downgraded while your order is pending is more or less what I was told back in November when I inquired about this in a SC. Nonetheless, great to know that the SR is still available to order. As an aside I was just wondering whether there will be a stripped down model Y as well for this price, although I doubt it.

I’m not sure I’d do what the article suggests either. But then again calling and placing an order over the phone sounds messy. Ordering the SR+ and then asking to be downgraded while your order is pending is more or less what I was told back in November when I inquired about this in a SC. Nonetheless, great to know that the SR is still available to order. As an aside I was just wondering whether there will be a stripped down model Y as well for this price, although I doubt it.

It took almost 2 years from the time the first Model 3 rolled off the line until Tesla introduced the standard range. I would guess Tesla will follow a similar pattern with the Model Y of selling the highest margin cars first, and only introducing less expensive variants if they determine they have excess capacity and need to drive sales.