Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Change battery for LR battery possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, if you can swap out a SR+ battery and put a LR battery in.

Questions to consider are:

1. Would the battery from the LR bolt straight in , or does it totally need new mountings to screw / bolt to
2. Integration into the SR+ computer - will the SR+ accept the larger range battery, or would it need upgrades, and if so what are they.
3. Controller -- replace ?
4. Charging hardware?
5. Wiring harness - ok as is?

Thanks for reading.. questions are because at $23, 000 aud more for the LR AWD, it might be better path , SR+ , then upgrade from a wrecked LR when one becomes available. Shocks etc are they the same , suspension wise , for the two variants , given the extra weight of the LR battery and extra front motor etc ? (about 200 kgs )

Other possibility is to wait for a second hand LR RWD to come up second hand - that would mean no Tesla for a long time.

Just curious, if you can swap out a SR+ battery and put a LR battery in.

Questions to consider are:

1. Would the battery from the LR bolt straight in , or does it totally need new mountings to screw / bolt to
2. Integration into the SR+ computer - will the SR+ accept the larger range battery, or would it need upgrades, and if so what are they.
3. Controller -- replace ?
4. Charging hardware?
5. Wiring harness - ok as is?

Thanks for reading.. questions are because at $23, 000 aud more for the LR AWD, it might be better path , SR+ , then upgrade from a wrecked LR when one becomes available. Shocks etc are they the same , suspension wise , for the two variants , given the extra weight of the LR battery and extra front motor etc ? (about 200 kgs )

Other possibility is to wait for a second hand LR RWD to come up second hand - that would mean no Tesla for a long time.

Rich Rebuilds

You should ask rich rebuilds and let us know the response.

The charging hardware is part of the pack, so that shouldn't be an issue.

#2 would be the main issue in that you would have to root/hack the car to update the configuration. And of course you would have no warranty on the battery/charger/PCS at that point. (And they might claim that it voids the drive unit warranty as well, since the changes would push it harder.)

The charging hardware is part of the pack, so that shouldn't be an issue.

#2 would be the main issue in that you would have to root/hack the car to update the configuration. And of course you would have no warranty on the battery/charger/PCS at that point. (And they might claim that it voids the drive unit warranty as well, since the changes would push it harder.)

Thanks for you reply.. so if I found a wrecked model 3 long range, I should grab what parts to maximise a successful swapover.
1. Battery
2. PCS
3. Require interior screen? (or is it the same screen)

Wonder if the underneath floor pan / mounting points are multi use - as in bolt in SR+ , and bolt in LR RWD - different dimensions, I assume.

• Informative
Reactions: Onyx M3
Thanks for you reply.. so if I found a wrecked model 3 long range, I should grab what parts to maximise a successful swapover.
1. Battery
2. PCS
3. Require interior screen? (or is it the same screen)

Wonder if the underneath floor pan / mounting points are multi use - as in bolt in SR+ , and bolt in LR RWD - different dimensions, I assume.

The PCS is inside the battery. The screen in the Model 3 is just a screen, the computer is elsewhere. The battery should be a direct bolt in fit, your only issue would be getting the computers rooted and adjusted for the different battery.

Just as a heads up Tesla lists the book time to replace a battery in the Model 3 as 4.5 hours since it wasn't designed for quick swaps. (It doesn't just unbolt from the bottom of the car you have to take the interior apart to get to the bolts that go into the pack from the inside as well.)

I would not buy a Tesla and plan on being able to replace or upgrade the battery in a cost effective manner outside of warranty.

Tesla has every interest in selling you a new car, not retrofitting old ones.

Aftermarket can attempt to do this for you but that’s not going to be cheap. You also need to worry about transportation to/from and if you get help from Tesla going forward.

The amount of time I think I spent hassling Tesla on getting a spoiler for a car I already bought might have been better spent just working towards a new 3P that had it preinstalled. ;)

Reactions: Onyx M3
The PCS is inside the battery. The screen in the Model 3 is just a screen, the computer is elsewhere. The battery should be a direct bolt in fit, your only issue would be getting the computers rooted and adjusted for the different battery.

Just as a heads up Tesla lists the book time to replace a battery in the Model 3 as 4.5 hours since it wasn't designed for quick swaps. (It doesn't just unbolt from the bottom of the car you have to take the interior apart to get to the bolts that go into the pack from the inside as well.)

Thanks MP3 Mike ... very helpful

Nice to know the battery would be a direct fit - thats a start
So if the battery LR came from a wreck, then it would be wise maybe , to also get the computers. Or would they still need to be rooted anyway? (In which case just root the SR+ comps)

i would recommend watching a few Rich's videos. I know he was having a time working on the Model X due to replacement parts not communicating to the MCU and having to swap out the MCU that the drive unit was associated with or desolder components on the board. Makes one wonder what to do with an X when the extended warranty runs dry.

maybe wait to see what is revealed come the mid-May battery chat that Elon is planning. Might be some interesting battery options coming up soon.

I would think you could pick up a battery from a wreaked M3 LR. Guessing just a software update. Have you asked Tesla about this option? I've often wondered about doing something like this.

maybe wait to see what is revealed come the mid-May battery chat that Elon is planning. Might be some interesting battery options coming up soon.

I would think you could pick up a battery from a wreaked M3 LR. Guessing just a software update. Have you asked Tesla about this option? I've often wondered about doing something like this.

Yeah that's the only way I'd do it while under warranty. Hope it'll be an official option one day. Surprised they didn't make the pack easier to swap/recycle. Seems wasteful for a "sustainable" company