TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sr+ charged to 70% at pickup. Regen dots

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Darthbenji, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Any idea why a 70% charge at pickup would show regen dots on the left of the bar?

2. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

Ambient temperature. It was probably parked below 20C.

3. DJVoorhees

DJVoorhees Member

Mine has been showing that too, it's a recent thing for me.

4. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

It went away but did seem to take a long time. Over an hour of driving.

5. inthecity

inthecity Member

Don’t fret, charge state isn’t the only indicator.

6. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

No I realize that. I drove my LR to the pickup that had sat out all night and no dots. Wondered if it was something particular to the SR+

7. vickh

vickh Active Member

what do the dots indicate? no regen?

8. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Just car temperature (likely battery) here then. I see the same on my car.

9. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Drove all day today. To work after just charging to 80%. Then for lunch. Then to another location about 40 mins away. Then home about 40 min drive. Charged for about 30 mins before the trip home and I had the regen dots all day. They never went away. This isn’t normal. Never ever happened with my LR.

10. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

What is the outside temp in Ontario? Have you contacted Tesla. Get on the App and schedule an appointment.

11. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

18-20c. The car didn’t sit and had been charged for two of the drives, freshly. That heats the battery. It never happened on my LR unless it had sat in the cold. Tomorrow will be 26-27c. I’ll bet ya it still happens.

12. Bill Foster

Bill Foster I'm going home!

I see it sometimes too. I dont pay it any attention

13. Lakeshow24

Lakeshow24 Member

What is Regen Dots?

14. Bill Foster

Look on the left side of that bar that moves when you are on and off the accelerator. There will be some dots instead of a line. charge your car to 100% and they will be there

15. Lakeshow24

Lakeshow24 Member

They always been there since I picked up my car and I have never charged my car to 100%. 90% is my max.

16. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Even after driving down to say 60%?

17. Bill Foster

cool. mine seem to come and go. doesnt seem to effect regeneration in any way so I dont pay attention

18. Lakeshow24

Lakeshow24 Member

Honestly I haven't really payed much attention but I will now for the dots. Just learned something new and need to do a little more research.

19. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

Well, let's say limited regen. It depends how many dots you have. The longer the row of dots, the lower the regen ability of the car. Charge to 100% for the most extreme case.

If it's SOC-related, the dots will fade away and disappear when you get down to 95% or so. If it's cold-related, it's a bit harder to predict, but still you'll see the dots diminish as the car warms, and you'll feel regen strengthening.

• Informative x 1
  20. Dante

Dante Member

So the answers you are getting are similarly confused as when I asked this question months ago. From what I gathered of the informed responses/people who have SR cars is that this is normal behaviour. I have an LR and SR+. The LR only shows ...... with charges above ~90%, or when the temperature gets quite cold (like single digits or below zero celsius). The SR+ shows the regen limited dots as low as the mid 60% range (I usually leave my cars on km not %, so the exact number I don't recall) regardless of temperature all summer long. The regen limited dots seem a bit glitchy to me, as they seem to come and go (mostly present though) depending on how long you've driven the car. Don't have an explanation as to why this behaviour is unique to the SR+ (or maybe it's not, and it's an issue with some and not an issue with others). I have asked SC individuals who first don't even know what the dots are that I am talking about, then proceed to tell me that it's normal (not super reassuring when they don't even know those dots are there or what they mean). The closest to a legit explanation is that the SR cars have a slower charge rate because of whatever equipment is used to put energy into the car (charging or regen) therefore the regen is limited most of the time. So my SR+ supercharges slower than my LR, and I guess therefore regent not as well as the LR?

To the people offering blanket answers, I know you're trying to be helpful, and I would have said the same thing you are saying until I actually got an SR+ and started seeing the weird behaviour. LR cars absolutely only show limited regen dots with low temps or high (>90%) charge state. I've never seen dots even with ambient temps in the 42Celcius range. Yet the SR+ behaves differently and has the dots in charge ranges between let's say 65% and up... but it's inconsistent and sometimes 'glitches' in and out of being there even when parked.

• Informative x 2