Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Delivery with Scratch | Tesla would not fix | Poll Q

Would you have taken delivery AS IS with no fix from Tesla given I don't need another car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those little white things? Really?
Not even visible with the trunk closed. Sharpie over that will do the trick

The scratch on the edge there. It is still visible when closed. Also, was deep enough to go through the paint entirely.

With the dealer-manufacturer model, the dealer catches these things and makes the manufacturer pay to fix them. The dealer wants perfect cars to sell and will push back on the manufacturer when they sling crap. Here, the sales guys work for the manufacturer so they try to get you to accept cars flaws and all.

Those little white things? Really?

Not even visible with the trunk closed. Sharpie over that will do the trick

You would accept a brand-new $50k+ car with a scratch through the paint all the way to bare metal? If that happened to me 30k miles after I bought the car taking something out of my trunk I'd be sick over it. I can't imagine accepting that on a brand new car.

The scratch on the edge there. It is still visible when closed. Also, was deep enough to go through the paint entirely.

With the dealer-manufacturer model, the dealer catches these things and makes the manufacturer pay to fix them. The dealer wants perfect cars to sell and will push back on the manufacturer when they sling crap. Here, the sales guys work for the manufacturer so they try to get you to accept cars flaws and all.

I don't buy that for a second. Really. Honestly based on our experience with two Teslas and the experiences of many others on here, you just had a bad experience with that delivery center or certain people working there. I still don't understand why they wouldn't due bill you for the scratch given the car hadn't even left the lot and it would have resulted in another car sold that day. And yes probably you made someone else's day by rejecting it who wanted the car with the $3750 rebate and maybe a due bill on getting it addressed. After we bought our Model S, checked it over closely, and drove it 6 miles up the street to our detailer for PPF, our guy pointed out a scratch in the wheel well area that we either missed or likely got from the road driving up there. They did paint correction on it before Xpelling it and we couldn't even tell where it was. If someone was going to add PPF I would have simply gone that route and driven the car home.

Last edited:
Try calling Tesla and getting to management. Currently it routes you to the delivery staff in your state through the phone system. When I tried, I ended up with the same ding dongs that created the situation. Management turn over has so much churn, not sure anyone you would get to would even care as they blast out their resume to find their new gig.

We just have to accept that the Teslas have many exclusive features, but the company is dumpster fire. After buying 6 Teslas, the 7th attempted purchase cleared this faboi's Koolaid fog. Might switch back to my Model 3 after driving the Bolt for a while. The adaptive cruise and lane keeping (aka "Autopilot") is definitely a killer feature, but the rest is meh to me anyway.

I can tell by your posts over the past 24 hours that your experience really soured you to Tesla. You had a bad experience with a delivery center, and it sounds like a specific manager at the center. While it was a bad experience, I would hesitate to throw out the entire company because of one bad experience. Everyone has bad days at a company where they do dumb things but that doesn’t mean the entire company is dumpster fire. I’ve purchased two Model 3’s in the past three months and both experiences have generally been very good. No doubt they were a little unorganized but overall they did a nice job and we are very happy with both cars.

If the Bolt is the right car for you, so be it. But personally I’d settle for a few days of aggravation with delivery personnel over many years of driving a car that is not what I really wanted.

The Bolt was a competitive alternative to the Model 3 prior to the SR/SR+ being announced and the prices of all models dropping on February 28th. I vaguely considered buying a Bolt when the cheapest Tesla was the MR at mid $40’s. But after Tesla dropped their pricing, the Bolt seemed almost silly to me, and that’s even with the full $7,500 tax credit. Once the credit gets cut in half I think the Bolt is dead. I don’t see a 2020 Bolt in GM’s future.
Tax credit on GM EVs/ PHEVs gets cut in half to $3750 on April 1, 2019. We'll see. Volt ended production early. Orion where Bolt is built is only running a single shift (unlike the truck and SUV plants that I've looked at which seem to be running 3 shifts), yet General Motors invests $300 million in Orion Assembly Plant, adds 400 jobs is happening. Go figure.

If the Bolt is the right car for you, so be it. But personally I’d settle for a few days of aggravation with delivery personnel over many years of driving a car that is not what I really wanted.
I have had ZERO issues with my Tesla X over 2 years but I am on my second Bolt as of today and I would rather own a Bolt over a Model 3 (I am a reservation holder) ...It is much more useful for me...more cargo room, hatchback, more ground clearance. I drove the Model 3 and passed especially while owning the X (the best car Tesla ever made).
So maybe if Model Y is out then I would consider replacing the Bolt.

I beat the hell out of cars and had zero issues with either brand.

Try calling Tesla and getting to management. Currently it routes you to the delivery staff in your state through the phone system. When I tried, I ended up with the same ding dongs that created the situation. Management turn over has so much churn, not sure anyone you would get to would even care as they blast out their resume to find their new gig.

We just have to accept that the Teslas have many exclusive features, but the company is dumpster fire. After buying 6 Teslas, the 7th attempted purchase cleared this faboi's Koolaid fog. Might switch back to my Model 3 after driving the Bolt for a while. The adaptive cruise and lane keeping (aka "Autopilot") is definitely a killer feature, but the rest is meh to me anyway.

Actually not true. I was able to reach someone in customer support in California, and I live in Canada. I will admit that I had to be persistent likely because it was end of Quarter, but I was able to resolve my issue. Considering your long standing history with Tesla, I find it hard to believe that you would not have gotten more concern regarding your issue then what was shown to you.

Don't know what to say, but their call system must have the smarts to route me locally and you not according to whatever algorithm they have. I have no curiosity on how to figure this out, but I called Saturday to get information on my refund and was routed to someone in Denver. I was down the street on car dealer row and just dropped in. Ding dongs are easier to deal with in person.

I have only so much energy in dealing with a seller that doesn't want my money. Tesla was not my favorite car brand before this incident, but they have been the only AWD electric pretty much. Not a fan of minimalism or proprietary nav, etc. With another option, I would have bailed on that dumpster fire long ago. The Jag didn't interest me, but a Kia, VW or Chevy with AWD would be perfect. I care more about Android Auto than a $40K SR+ without phone mirroring or live traffic routing. Adaptive cruise is on most cars and lane keeping with a constant nag is not so useful.

Last edited:
From what I was told by Customer Service, calls are routed to California first, if a call doesn't get picked up within a certain period of time, it then automatically goes to another call center, so guess it depends on how many calls are coming in at a particular time.

Nothing against the Bolt or it's owners, but I would so rather be driving around a car I find sexy and way fun to drive with all the tech, great screen and cameras the Model 3 has than a Bolt. I just don't see that in a Bolt at all. Reminds me in looks of an old Honda Civic hatchback I had years ago, but an EV.

This is sad and Tesla unfortunately it seems that there is no sign of the company turning these failures in customer service around.

When we took delivery of our first Model 3 in last May, the delivery process was so incredible. They didn’t differentiate the differences whether you took delivery of a S, X or 3. You had a one hour appointment where they had the car parked in a showroom stall and they went through and taught you everything about the car in detail. As we pulled out. There were a group of employees clapping at us as we drove out of their showroom. I was thinking that this direct sale model and treatment made dealers obsolete.

By August when we were taking delivery, they were still attentive, but rushed. They took care of a dent that the car had by rushing their PDR guy to the location and took care of the issue. No extended into. Just paperwork. Car wasn’t even charged at pickup.

Now after hearing these experiences, I am concerned. True that I probably won’t be back at Tesla until a redesigned Model 3 or if they create a smaller version of a Model S with its more luxurious features. So hopefully they will have this all sorted out so that it’s just a dark moment in their past. Now it sounds like the Tesla purchase and delivery experience is not as good as a traditional dealer if they’re doing what I’ve been reading.

TL;DR they’ve really given up on customer service and need to get back to the days where they were nothing short of amazing.

Tesla is getting itself into a problem that can snowball on itself. The more problems Tesla has with quality when cars are delivered, the more buyers are prone to show up with checklists and go over the car with a fine tooth comb and a caliper to measure panel gaps. The more problems people have getting issues addressed after delivery, the more prone buyers are to demand everything in writing and reject or return cars - which creates huge hassles and inefficiency for Tesla. While I voted that I would have taken the car with that minor scratch, I don't have any problem with anyone who would want to have it fixed, and it should not be expected on a new car.

The biggest risk to the future of Tesla is not new electric cars from other manufactures, it is Tesla becoming complacent with quality and customer service. They already have fantastic cars that are way ahead of the competition, and (at least in the US) a charging network that no one else can come close to. If they can execute on quality and service, they will be unstoppable. If they continue to struggle with quality and customer experience, they put themselves at risk of loosing the goodwill of Tesla owners which is another of their greatest assets.

Reactions: Scott7 and abasile
Scratches are not in reliability category, unless you are Consumer Reports.

Not sure why Tesla will not give Due Bills then. I started another poll asking just that question and so far no one has reported getting a written Due Bill. With a deep scratch through the paint, I would have been been happy if there was at least something noting the issue so I could prove it happened before delivery.

Did you have a delivery issue and did Tesla put the issue in writing?

Also for this attempted purchase, I was promised two free Tesla services since I paid $2500 for the SR+ upsell rather than the $2000 I would have got at the time of ordering. I asked for that in an e-mail or something rather than a verbal from some random sales guy. They said they could do an e-mail several times, but basically refused in the end. With nothing in writing, I have had Tesla fail to honor those even when I confronted the actual employee who gave the verbal.

Nice if they will honor something not in writing, but the contract you sign at delivery clearly says that verbal stuff is non-binding.

Not sure why Tesla will not give Due Bills then. I started another poll asking just that question and so far no one has reported getting a written Due Bill. With a deep scratch through the paint, I would have been been happy if there was at least something noting the issue so I could prove it happened before delivery.

Did you have a delivery issue and did Tesla put the issue in writing?

Also for this attempted purchase, I was promised two free Tesla services since I paid $2500 for the SR+ upsell rather than the $2000 I would have got at the time of ordering. I asked for that in an e-mail or something rather than a verbal from some random sales guy. They said they could do an e-mail several times, but basically refused in the end. With nothing in writing, I have had Tesla fail to honor those even when I confronted the actual employee who gave the verbal.

Nice if they will honor something not in writing, but the contract you sign at delivery clearly says that verbal stuff is non-binding.

I have a feeling that they figured they could not please you and lost their patience.

That’s what happens when sales persons work for commissions and bonuses. I think moving more towards galleries instead of stores is a good idea.

Maybe. I noted the 6 or so scratches within 2 minutes of seeing the car. They said they could fix all. Most of the damage was on the bumper and they claimed to have a painted one in stock to quickly swap. Other than the 2 minutes walk around of the car, no new issue was brought up. I was fine to take the car right then with a Due Bill or e-mail, but they refused to put anything in writing.

I guess the buyer the next day was fine with a scratch clean through the paint over a half inch long. Maybe they didn't see it on a snowy weekend. Whatever, I am glad I walked.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Decided to get another Chevy Bolt. $32,500 with delivery, dealer, doc fees. Full $7500 Federal Tax Rebate and $5000 Colorado Rebate so a net of $20K. I like the Android Auto on these better than the Tesla nav and they drive fine. Not a debate on which is better, but happy with the Bolt for a net of about $15K in savings over the SR+ I tried unsuccessfully to buy yesterday.
Just out of curiosity did you inspect this car with the same fine tooth comb?

Just out of curiosity did you inspect this car with the same fine tooth comb?

I did the same 2 minute walk around that I did on the Tesla. No flaws at all. Perfect gaps and paint. Have been driving the car since as I am kinda turned off on the whole Tesla thing right now. Still have noticed no issues at all.

Plus it came with floor mats, live traffic with Android Auto and all my other phone music options, heated steering wheel, cloth seats (personal preference), WiFi hotspot, rims that don't scratch when rubbing against the curb, instrument cluster in line of sight, real buttons for commonly accessed things, keyless entry with fob that works 100% of the time (phone BT option too), extra storage space with hatchback, upright SUV seating position (more comfy), one foot driving with strong regen and paddle for even more, better time-of-use charging options, etc.

The only thing I miss on my Model 3 that has been parked since this purchase is the lane keeping & adaptive cruise that Tesla calls Autopilot. Given the stuff in the last paragraph, not sure I will drive my Model 3 much anymore.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r