Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR downgrade finally coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is getting a little harsh so I’m not going to respond to any specific comments but I think we all need to respect other people’s opinions here and try not to be so judgmental.

In the legacy automobile world manufacturers would custom build cars so that options were only added to a car if you specifically paid for them or if they were included in the trim level you purchased. We did not see a car with fog lights installed but disabled through software.

Tesla has apparently decided that it makes more sense for them to use software to control the options in their cars rather than custom building each car to the exact spec that was ordered. Some people paid $10,000 for ludicrous mode when all that gave them was a little more access to the battery for faster acceleration. So Tesla customers have become accustomed to the concept of paying to unlock features that don’t have an “incremental” cost to Tesla to unlock.

But many here are new to Tesla so give people a chance to get used to a different way of doing business. It took me a while to wrap my head around how Tesla does things. Everyone needs time to acclimate to a very different kind of car from a very different kind of company.

It's irrelevant what is "equitable". All I care about is what's legal. As a side note these window stickers are no laughing matter. There's a $1000 fine for not including the window sticker on a new car and I know for a fact my buddy who bought the same car never got his window sticker. And this sticker can only be removed by the consumer.

The Monroney sticker is required to be affixed to the side window or windshield of every new car sold in the United States and can only be removed by the consumer (Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233, Title 15 of the United States Code). A fine of up to US$1,000 per vehicle for each offense is authorized if the sticker is missing, and other fees and penalties are authorized if the sticker is altered illegally (including imprisonment).[4] The act does not apply to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 8,500 lb (3,856 kg).

The sticker must include the following information:

Of course you only care about what is legal, when it suits your entitlement desires. Sickening really

One of the primary reasons I decided to buy the car was that the sales guy assured me I would have 7 days no questions asked to return the car if I didn't like it. Having only driven the model 3 performance during the test drive I had no basis for what a SR/SR+ felt like. If I had known during the 7 day no questions asked return period that a standard was slow I may have returned it.

When the car showed up at my house delivered by a Tesla employee I was surprised to see heated seats as I was told the standard didn't have it. It appeared my standard was actually a standard plus. I checked the monroney label and this affirmed my suspicion. I asked the Tesla driver why I got a Standard Plus when I ordered a standard he just said "you must have got a free upgrade, enjoy!" So of course if I think I got a free upgrade and I'm happy with the way it drove I decided to keep it when in fact I could have returned it if I received the car I was supposed to get and had a proper 7 day evaluation. Now it's clear to me the 7 day no questions asked was a meaningless marketing pitch as they gave me a car that does not match what I will end up with so I had no real way of evaluating the car.

So the bait and switch is very much an issue during that 7 day return period as I never had a chance to truly evaluate the car that I will now end up with after this software update.

I don’t believe this story at all.

I did check with not only the delivery guy but also with my sales guy. Who else am I supposed to check with? Elon? Should I just keep checking with every employee up the chain until I am absolutely sure what the heck is going on and why a different model was delivered to me than what I ordered? And this is clearly systemic and not a one off. As far as I can tell everyone who ordered a standard received a standard plus which would make the 7 day no questions asked period meaningless as the car you are evaluating in the 7 days is not the same car as what you end up with.

The right thing to do is for Tesla to give everyone another 7 days from the time of update to return the car if they are not satisfied.
Lol that’s rich.

If you like the features, pay for them...like the rest of the Tesla owners. If you don’t want to pay for them, then you won’t get them.

The rest of this discussion is plain nonsense

Last edited:
This thread is getting a little harsh so I’m not going to respond to any specific comments but I think we all need to respect other people’s opinions here and try not to be so judgmental.

In the legacy automobile world manufacturers would custom build cars so that options were only added to a car if you specifically paid for them or if they were included in the trim level you purchased. We did not see a car with fog lights installed but disabled through software.

Tesla has apparently decided that it makes more sense for them to use software to control the options in their cars rather than custom building each car to the exact spec that was ordered. Some people paid $10,000 for ludicrous mode when all that gave them was a little more access to the battery for faster acceleration. So Tesla customers have become accustomed to the concept of paying to unlock features that don’t have an “incremental” cost to Tesla to unlock.

But many here are new to Tesla so give people a chance to get used to a different way of doing business. It took me a while to wrap my head around how Tesla does things. Everyone needs time to acclimate to a very different kind of car from a very different kind of company.
It is actually a great way to do it, since you can add more feature during your ownership. On this topic, I only wish the MR was a software limited LR, cause I would have loved to turn my car in a LR. However I am not complaining since I knew what I was buying.

So as an average consumer that has to deal with financing, signing documents online, asking everyone I came into contact with to make sure I got the right car and was confirmed by multiple Tesla employees that I received the car I ordered and then the car physically shows up at my house driven by a Tesla employee who again confirms its the right car I ordered-- it's still incumbent on me to somehow figure out this was all a huge mistake by Tesla and it's army of employees involved in the logistics of delivering a car to me and that I should have refused the car? LoL

A reasonable person would presume after all that -- that the car that physically shows up and matches my VIN # is the car I was meant to get! And I'm guessing there's not a single person who purchased a standard model do what it is you say we should have done.

So whatever it is you are smoking may I have some?
So all that checking...what car did you pay for? I’m fairly certain if you were paying for the SR+ and all the paperwork said SR, you wouldn’t have gone through with the deal. But no, you paid for an SR and went through with the deal hoping to keep an SR+.

You really want(ed) something for nothing and are now crying about not getting it.

Just pay for what you want and stop crying.

Elon screwed up the SR+ owners like you and me and the others, now adding more SR owners into the band! hope there will at least be some good news/perks for the SR+ owners that's bought in the car at March/April and decided not to downgrade.
Lol, no matter the angle everyone wants something out of it.

Somehow this effects my LR RWD...I want a perk too

• Funny
Reactions: TQCLove
I've worked a ton In customer service and retail in my day and this situation reminds me of the type of customer that you bend over backwards to help them out with what they need. You give them the best deal to help them avoid the hassle and accommodate them as best as you can. Then they demand more and more not being fully satisfied. It starts to make you not want to go above and beyond because start getting burned by these demanding personalities that think they should be catered to when you've done everything you can putting your job at risk to satisfy them.

This whole argument of window stickers is moronic. Everyone knows how much they paid for the car and if they want to keep what they paid should just be asked to pay the difference. Tesla went out of their way to provide a superior vehicle to keep customers HAPPY. To get customers into their cars and keep the value in the brand alive. This is one of those situations where a company goes above and beyond and then the customer is trying to burn them. It's not like they are going to all these vehicles and ripping out the seats to truly match the configuration.

I think we truly and deeply want Tesla to be here for the long haul. Conflicts like these are what put Teslas future and funds in jeopardy.

I've worked a ton In customer service and retail in my day and this situation reminds me of the type of customer that you bend over backwards to help them out with what they need. You give them the best deal to help them avoid the hassle and accommodate them as best as you can. Then they demand more and more not being fully satisfied. It starts to make you not want to go above and beyond because start getting burned by these demanding personalities that think they should be catered to when you've done everything you can putting your job at risk to satisfy them.

This whole argument of window stickers is moronic. Everyone knows how much they paid for the car and if they want to keep what they paid should just be asked to pay the difference. Tesla went out of their way to provide a superior vehicle to keep customers HAPPY. To get customers into their cars and keep the value in the brand alive. This is one of those situations where a company goes above and beyond and then the customer is trying to burn them. It's not like they are going to all these vehicles and ripping out the seats to truly match the configuration.

I think we truly and deeply want Tesla to be here for the long haul. Conflicts like these are what put Teslas future and funds in jeopardy.
It’s actually a vocal few that run to a forum and try to activate the crowd for their cause. They fail to understand that most here not only paid for what they got, for those that paid early, we paid much more.

This guy buys a $35k Tesla and wants more free stuff. It’s pure entitlement

It was not. It showed the SR+ features. You cant buy an SR on the website. You have to buy the SR+ and later Tesla changes the configuration to an SR. all done over the phone OR in person at a dealer. That were the shady sales promises come into play. The customer either trusts what they are told or they do research on their own to know the reality of what the SR really is. Since Tesla has opened it sales to more of the general public ( and less enthusiasts ) the common person usually doesn't scan forums for research.
Thank you for the information.
So if I well understand: we have 2 options for the generic public/the common person
1) the customer belonging to the generic public/ the common person is savvy enough to make a phone call to buy an SR even if this information (SR can be bought only at the phone) is not on the website and it's a relatively hidden information, but he/she is not capable of looking what they're buying. Not sure I believe this cluster of persons didn't know what they were buying. I believe in general people are smart enough and not dumb.
2) The customer belonging to the generic public/ the common person went to a delivery center (or made a phone call to buy a generic model 3) and was told by a sales rep to buy the SR since was exactly the same as SR+ but at a lower price, so the persons understood the deal and didn't wonder how is that possible or make research. It looks to me we have 2 problems here: a) The sales person acted as a standard car seller, but the customer was already aware since he/she was not savvy enough to make research about the difference between Tesla and other car manufacturer. (I doubt about this). b) the person didn't wonder why this looks too good to be true, I call it to be "scrooge" since you see something good and you don't wonder why, or you don't perform any research.

Please note: NOT talking about those that ordered the SR before it was changed to a better one at the same price since I'm assuming these knew what they were buying since they ordered online but just got a better model ("Vegan" seats, power seats, central console at minimum)
Please note 2: I'm all about defending persons that cannot defend themselves. But if this is the case than please sue the sales guy, don't take it on the company.

Reactions: Matt L
It was not. It showed the SR+ features. You cant buy an SR on the website. You have to buy the SR+ and later Tesla changes the configuration to an SR. all done over the phone OR in person at a dealer.
My apologies but your statement is incorrect;
1) You can buy on the website an SR+ at the price of the SR+ and maybe after downgrade to an SR . Not yet possible, and not yet clear who'll be given this option, since the communicate from Tesla speaks about "anyone who has already bought Standard Plus" and not those that will.
2) You can buy the SR and you'll be delivered an SR+ that in future will be reduced to the SR you bought via software update
3) You can order an SR+ and on the phone request to downgrade to SR before deliver. Then go to point 2
4) Tesla doesn't change anything by themselves

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people are upset that they are finally getting what they paid for. They knew up front they were paying for a SR and now they want to use the court system to waste people's time and money because of a technicality in an antiquated law (re: monroney sticker). That's just morally wrong. Intent does play into what is legal. If you intended to buy a SR and you knew it didn't come with some features, there should be no remedy to you in the court. Tesla may ended being fined (still wrong in my opinion) but they should not be forced to give you a car you did not knowingly intend to buy.

I don't like teslas approach in this one at all. It leads to unhappy customers. There has certainly been some confusion created.

In the end SR customers are still getting more than they paid for (better seats, and capabilities to upgraded). Plus the software limited battery just means you can charge a little higher every night to compensate ( battery unlock only matters longer trips when you would have had to charger to 100%).

Tesls did this so they could deliver more cars now and not have customers waiting forever, but it could have been handled a little better. For instance, they could have been very clearly stating that SR cars would be getting an SR+ trial.

People like trials, they don't like downgrades.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SO16 and Talax74
For the life of me, I cannot understand why people are upset that they are finally getting what they paid for. They knew up front they were paying for a SR and now they want to use the court system to waste people's time and money because of a technicality in an antiquated law (re: monroney sticker). That's just morally wrong. Intent does play into what is legal. If you intended to buy a SR and you knew it didn't come with some features, there should be no remedy to you in the court. Tesla may ended being fined (still wrong in my opinion) but they should not be forced to give you a car you did not knowingly intend to buy.

You are still not grasping the point. I agree that if the customer knew what was going away and then complained about it they are wanting something for nothing. There are many people who were told that the only difference was lack of auto pilot and shorter range. Now Tesla came out with an email stating those two things PLUS much more is going away. Heated seats, lower acceleration, multiple software features... who knows what else. The sales reps either lied are were not trained on what the downgrades would be. I suspect they just didn’t know (judging on Tesla’s past record of poor communication with their employees). As said before, the customers could have done further research and found out that what was told to them by Tesla wasn’t true but is that a customer requirement to double check every statement that a Tesla employee says? If you bought a Cadillac and was told that you had navigation free for a month and then it would be software deleted and accepted those terms, then after the month the navigation was deleted BUT you also lost heated seats, HD radio, collision detection and auto wipers wouldn’t you be a little upset? Same argument.

The problem with getting what they paid for is whether they were told precisely what they were paying for.
At least one person in the thread is claiming the sales person only mentioned there will be shorter range after software lock up.
I am inclined to believe this story because salespeople will say things that aren't entirely true to make the sale whether they were misinformed or playing misinformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.