Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR downgrade finally coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly equitable that you get the car you agreed to buy and paid for.

It's irrelevant what is "equitable". All I care about is what's legal. As a side note these window stickers are no laughing matter. There's a $1000 fine for not including the window sticker on a new car and I know for a fact my buddy who bought the same car never got his window sticker. And this sticker can only be removed by the consumer.

The Monroney sticker is required to be affixed to the side window or windshield of every new car sold in the United States and can only be removed by the consumer (Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233, Title 15 of the United States Code). A fine of up to US$1,000 per vehicle for each offense is authorized if the sticker is missing, and other fees and penalties are authorized if the sticker is altered illegally (including imprisonment).[4] The act does not apply to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 8,500 lb (3,856 kg).

The sticker must include the following information:

I imagine with Tesla's record of poor communication, we may never have a clear answer on what will be deleted. I suspect some cars will have some things deleted while other will not. They are really a chaotic company. My guess is that the lawsuits will be starting an hour after they delete things. I am no attorney but the window sticker stating certain features are connected to that VIN seems like a solid case for someone to take court action.

Reactions: joe12pack
It's irrelevant what is "equitable". All I care about is what's legal. As a side note these window stickers are no laughing matter. There's a $1000 fine for not including the window sticker on a new car and I know for a fact my buddy who bought the same car never got his window sticker. And this sticker can only be removed by the consumer.

The Monroney sticker is required to be affixed to the side window or windshield of every new car sold in the United States and can only be removed by the consumer (Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233, Title 15 of the United States Code). A fine of up to US$1,000 per vehicle for each offense is authorized if the sticker is missing, and other fees and penalties are authorized if the sticker is altered illegally (including imprisonment).[4] The act does not apply to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 8,500 lb (3,856 kg).

The sticker must include the following information:

When we bought our Honda Accords and then later Toyota Avalon and Camry, the cars were on the lot to select from. The Monroney stickers were on the windows so as you walked around to make your choice you could see the options, VIN and price. However, once we chose the car, signed our purchase agreement and went back for delivery after the service center was done prepping, in all of those cases the service center had removed the stickers ahead of time, not us.

I have been under the impression that the stickers were meant to protect potential buyers. in all of those cases the service center had removed the stickers ahead of time, not us.
Yes the monroney label introduced in 1958 was meant to protect consumers from bait and switch dealers. During the 7 day return period if the car was delivered as was intended I am sure some folks would have returned them and now with these features being removed months later and after the important 7 day no questions asked return window combined with this monroney mismatching-- this is all shady at best and illegal at worst. Can you imagine Porsche asking you to bring your car in because they intend to replace your engine with a less powerful engine because they decided a month later they gave you the wrong car even though the window sticker said you got the right car? Definitely a bush league move by Tesla.

Reactions: jrcase
I’m going to predict (based on the SR I took delivery of last week) that those who took delivery of an SR+ but paid for an SR will see the following:

1) Battery locked to 220 miles of range
2) Fog lights disabled
3) Immersive sound disabled (maybe, ours had the on/off setting still but the spec says it shouldn’t be there).

Both the SR/SR+ have heated front seats, neither have heated rear seats. So nothing is changing there. At least that’s what Tesla has been saying up until now.

• Informative
Reactions: A2be
I’m going to predict (based on the SR I took delivery of last week) that those who took delivery of an SR+ but paid for an SR will see the following:

2) Fog lights disabled
3) Immersive sound disabled (maybe, ours had the on/off setting still but the spec says it shouldn’t be there).

Both the SR/SR+ have heated front seats, neither have heated rear seats. So nothing is changing there. At least that’s what Tesla has been saying up until now.

The lower acceleration is what is a surprise to most. They specifically said the SR and SR+ were exactly the same 0-60 times. If Tesla is going to do these sort of shady things, they should make sure all of their dealers are in the same page and giving out the same information.

2) Fog lights disabled

If that's all that we lose I'll be happy as a clam saving $4500 clams. The email mentioned performance taking a hit "To continue experiencing the extended range, faster acceleration and Autopilot features of Model 3 Standard Range Plus, schedule a service appointment... "

That would be the only thing that would be a bummer.

Yes the monroney label introduced in 1958 was meant to protect consumers from bait and switch dealers. During the 7 day return period if the car was delivered as was intended I am sure some folks would have returned them and now with these features being removed months later and after the important 7 day no questions asked return window combined with this monroney mismatching-- this is all shady at best and illegal at worst. Can you imagine Porsche asking you to bring your car in because they intend to replace your engine with a less powerful engine because they decided a month later they gave you the wrong car even though the window sticker said you got the right car? Definitely a bush league move by Tesla.

And are you saying people who ordered online didn't do their research before signing up for a particular model version with features to see what was included? For some people the bottom $ line was the deciding factor to stay in budget, but regardless of SR or SR+ or MR or LR people had the information available if they chose to see it. You're making it sound like the people who ordered an SR thought they might be actually getting a 240 or heck maybe a 310mi range battery. Don't think so.

And I'm sure probably every other manufacturer out there will be following Tesla's lead with software battery limitations. No doubt in my mind. Batteries are going to be a huge cost concern for all of them and being able to produce fewer battery designs and just instead adjust mileage up or down as an option by software controlled by the manufacturer will be the way of the future. So yeah, I think Porsche will be doing the same exact thing among their close versions to differentiate them by price. No one is going to be removing batteries or engines so that was just a laughable thing to say IMO. If they can, companies even like Porsche will be offering upgradeable through software engine upgrades. Loved the uncorking we got on our Model S.

Good thing the court systems care less what random social justice warriors using vague terms like "equitable" think. The monroney label not matching the car is one of several potentially serious issues here. But thanks for your banal input in this conversation.
I can see that Tesla could conceivably have to pay that $1000 fine, but I don't think a judge is going to unjustly award someone a car they didn't pay for.

P.S. I didn't call you names. I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

The lower acceleration is what is a surprise to most. They specifically said the SR and SR+ were exactly the same 0-60 times. If Tesla is going to do these sort of shady things, they should make sure all of their dealers are in the same page and giving out the same information.

Shouldn't be a surprise. This is what was being advertised on acceleration and was in the press. From GreenCarReports on February 28, 2019 "Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Arrives Soon at $35,000 and 220 Miles. Really.":

"The Standard Range model, which costs $36,200 after a mandatory destination and documents fee, is listed with specifications that include a 130-mph top speed and a 0-60 mph acceleration time in 5.6 seconds.....

Another new Model 3, the Standard Range Plus, will cost $38,200 and bring 240 miles of range, with a top speed of 140 mph and 5.3-second acceleration."

Where's the confusion or surprise?

Just sad the number of disparging remarks about this company I see on this forum and the misinformation spread. I get it when it comes from short-sellers who are looking to profit themselves.

Last edited:
And are you saying people who ordered online didn't do their research before signing up for a particular model version with features to see what was included? For some people the bottom $ line was the deciding factor to stay in budget, but regardless of SR or SR+ or MR or LR people had the information available if they chose to see it. You're making it sound like the people who ordered an SR thought they might be actually getting a 240 or heck maybe a 310mi range battery. Don't think so.

One of the primary reasons I decided to buy the car was that the sales guy assured me I would have 7 days no questions asked to return the car if I didn't like it. Having only driven the model 3 performance during the test drive I had no basis for what a SR/SR+ felt like. If I had known during the 7 day no questions asked return period that a standard was slow I may have returned it.

When the car showed up at my house delivered by a Tesla employee I was surprised to see heated seats as I was told the standard didn't have it. It appeared my standard was actually a standard plus. I checked the monroney label and this affirmed my suspicion. I asked the Tesla driver why I got a Standard Plus when I ordered a standard he just said "you must have got a free upgrade, enjoy!" So of course if I think I got a free upgrade and I'm happy with the way it drove I decided to keep it when in fact I could have returned it if I received the car I was supposed to get and had a proper 7 day evaluation. Now it's clear to me the 7 day no questions asked was a meaningless marketing pitch as they gave me a car that does not match what I will end up with so I had no real way of evaluating the car.

So the bait and switch is very much an issue during that 7 day return period as I never had a chance to truly evaluate the car that I will now end up with after this software update.

I can see that Tesla could conceivably have to pay that $1000 fine, but I don't think a judge is going to unjustly award someone a car they didn't pay for.

P.S. I didn't call you names. I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

Perhaps Tesla may want to go easy on the downgrades as it would be cheaper than a class action lawsuit which would be $1000 x all the Teslas that didn't get a window sticker which from the few comments here seems like it's been a reoccurring issue,

ps - I normally refer to people who use the term "equitable" as communists so I went easy on you.

So of course if I think I got a free upgrade

You have a purchase agreement with no mention of it (which is your contract) and nothing to show it was amended...

Good luck on relying on the sticker, since that very likely also did not match what you ordered.

Even though the window sticker said you got the right car?
The sticker said "Standard Range Plus", which was _NOT_ what was ordered. In other words, the sticker said he got the _wrong_ car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.