Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR downgrade finally coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So of course if I think I got a free upgrade...

And you thought the delivery person knews what you bought or got in the way of an upgrade? Did you think to check with Tesla in those 7 days, someone in position to know, whether you got the wrong car?? I don't buy you really thought you were getting a $2K+ upgraded car for free.

ps - I normally refer to people who use the term "equitable" as communists so I went easy on you.

images

And you thought the delivery person knews what you bought or got in the way of an upgrade? Did you think to check with Tesla in those 7 days, someone in position to know, whether you got the wrong car?? I don't buy you really thought you were getting a $2K+ upgraded car for free.

I did check with not only the delivery guy but also with my sales guy. Who else am I supposed to check with? Elon? Should I just keep checking with every employee up the chain until I am absolutely sure what the heck is going on and why a different model was delivered to me than what I ordered? And this is clearly systemic and not a one off. As far as I can tell everyone who ordered a standard received a standard plus which would make the 7 day no questions asked period meaningless as the car you are evaluating in the 7 days is not the same car as what you end up with.

The right thing to do is for Tesla to give everyone another 7 days from the time of update to return the car if they are not satisfied.

Shouldn't be a surprise. This is what was being advertised on acceleration and was in the press. From GreenCarReports on February 28, 2019 "Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Arrives Soon at $35,000 and 220 Miles. Really.":

"The Standard Range model, which costs $36,200 after a mandatory destination and documents fee, is listed with specifications that include a 130-mph top speed and a 0-60 mph acceleration time in 5.6 seconds.....

Another new Model 3, the Standard Range Plus, will cost $38,200 and bring 240 miles of range, with a top speed of 140 mph and 5.3-second acceleration."

Where's the confusion or surprise?

Just sad the number of disparging remarks about this company I see on this forum and the misinformation spread. I get it when it comes from short-sellers who are looking to profit themselves.

I don’t read Green Car Reports. Even if I did, I (and probably most) would tend to listen to a dealer employee that should have been trained on what they are selling. They should have had a sheet (signed by the buyer and seller) of what exactly would be downgraded when the time came. Telling a customer that acceleration is the same on both models may have been a mistake but if it is a written policy, no questions or surprises down the road. Tesla is getting that shady “used car salesman” reputation more and more and actions like this only amplify it. I hope Tesla is hugely successful but these type of actions must stop. Integrity is a must.

I don’t read Green Car Reports. Even if I did, I (and probably most) would tend to listen to a dealer employee that should have been trained on what they are selling.

In this case joe12pack knew exactly what was going on. Quoting him:

When the car showed up at my house delivered by a Tesla employee I was surprised to see heated seats as I was told the standard didn't have it. It appeared my standard was actually a standard plus. I checked the monroney label and this affirmed my suspicion.

In other words, he knew that the car he had for the moment did not conform to what was on his purchase agreement. He also had a fairly good grip on the feature differences. He didn't contact Tesla for clarification, he did not return what was the "wrong" car, he just hoped he got a free upgrade (and also assumed it was going to be permanent).

I'd wish him good luck on his attempt to sue Tesla, but that would not be sincere. I think if he sues Tesla it's going to cost him a lot more than what he'd pay to upgrade to SR+, and still not get him an SR+, but hey, it's his money and his choice.

I did check with not only the delivery guy but also with my sales guy. Who else am I supposed to check with? Elon? Should I just keep checking with every employee up the chain until I am absolutely sure what the heck is going on and why a different model was delivered to me than what I ordered? And this is clearly systemic and not a one off. As far as I can tell everyone who ordered a standard received a standard plus which would make the 7 day no questions asked period meaningless as the car you are evaluating in the 7 days is not the same car as what you end up with.

The right thing to do is for Tesla to give everyone another 7 days from the time of update to return the car if they are not satisfied.
Lol quit with the victim mentality. You KNOW what you bought, and you got to experience additional features that you didn’t pay for, for a period of time. Tesla is allowing you to continue with those features for a price.

Take it or leave it

In this case joe12pack knew exactly what was going on.

Reading comprehension is not your strength? As I said I knew what I was supposed to get on paper.

My real issue is that I was told by the sales guy there was no risk in placing an order as I would be given a 7 day no questions asked return policy. How exactly was I supposed to evaluate the car in the first 7 days when Tesla did not deliver the car I expected-- the Standard model? Instead they delivered to my house a different vehicle with different characteristics.

Again the right thing to do is for Tesla to give everyone a new 7 day no questions asked return window after the software update. That way we will be given a chance to evaluate the car that we ordered but are NOW finally getting and will finally be able to evaluate whether it should be worth keeping or returning. I'm guessing many people will choose to keep the car. Some will upgrade and some will return it.

[I'll ignore the veiled implication I can't read]

How exactly was I supposed to evaluate the car in the first 7 days when Tesla did not deliver the car I expected-- the Standard model? Instead they delivered to my house a different vehicle with different characteristics.
Well, you could have refused delivery, or insisted that you would not accept delivery unless they nerfed your car. Or, since you were apparently well informed, extrapolated from your experience. I don't think it's that hard to imagine not seeing those traffic lines on the google map, or to imagine life without rear seat heating, to give just some examples. The "lesser range" is, for almost all practical purposes, only for long road trips, since after the update you can charge your car closer to 100% without any ill effects on the battery, and you won't even suffer the range degradation after use that someone with an SR+ will actually experience over time.

About the only difference that would be slightly harder to evaluate would be the reduced acceleration. But it's not that hard to estimate what the effects would be in real life, just by not flooring it (which most of us do all the time in real life), and even if you did floor it, you probably could have an idea of whether slightly less acceleration would still be acceptable to you.

I think that you probably realised, that you got an interior that is probably better than the one they were originally planning for SR. I doubt they're going to come unbolt your 'vegan leather' seats and replace them with fabric ones. Which may have been one of the reasons not to refuse delivery.

Again the right thing to do is for Tesla to give everyone a new 7 day no questions asked return window after the software update.
Pray tell me how you're going to undrive the miles that you drove that car to restore it to the state it had after 7 days of driving.

Last edited:
[I'll ignore the veiled implication I can't read]

Well, you could have refused delivery, or insisted that you would not accept delivery unless they nerfed your car.

So as an average consumer that has to deal with financing, signing documents online, asking everyone I came into contact with to make sure I got the right car and was confirmed by multiple Tesla employees that I received the car I ordered and then the car physically shows up at my house driven by a Tesla employee who again confirms its the right car I ordered-- it's still incumbent on me to somehow figure out this was all a huge mistake by Tesla and it's army of employees involved in the logistics of delivering a car to me and that I should have refused the car? LoL

A reasonable person would presume after all that -- that the car that physically shows up and matches my VIN # is the car I was meant to get! And I'm guessing there's not a single person who purchased a standard model do what it is you say we should have done.

So whatever it is you are smoking may I have some?

• Disagree
Reactions: richyrich
Yeah, that Tesla employee should have informed you, but as the quote you provided some time ago shows, you were already aware of the differences between SR and SR+.

A reasonable person would presume after all that -- that the car that physically shows up and matches my VIN # is the car I was meant to get!
Sure -- that's why you rushed to read the sticker on your car that confirmed it wasn't what you were meant to get.

So whatever it is you are smoking may I have some?
I'm sorry, but as a semi-professional spoilsport I'm afraid I don't smoke. Not even when weakly insulted.

I physically went to Tesla today to sort out what it’ll cost to upgrade and keep my SR as an SR+. They have no idea. They said they’ll call me with the answer. If I get one I’ll post it here. I really like this car and so long as the price isn’t silly lll happily pay to keep the features I’ve gotten used to.

Yet another case of Tesla’s poor communication skills. You would think they would have this “upgrade” ready to go, or at least give you a price. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the service centers even knew the email went out. Good grief.

No argument from me. If I would picture an avatar for the customer facing side of Tesla, it would have a lot of arms, and none of the arms would know anything about any of the other ones. It would have one REALLY BIG arm controlled by a computer programme from Fremont that flailed erratically while throwing weird unintelligible documents up into the air, and all the other arms would try to to sway in synchronicity but fail miserably. Some of the arms would be seen scribbling escalation tickets to be fed to the base of the large flailing arm.

Mind you, having been in pre-sales for long: it's not just Tesla. Other companies are careful to hide all that chaos behind a layer of dealers, and they're making you pay for it.

The sticker must include the following information:

Just curious, but what did the MSRP on your sticker show?

You have a purchase agreement with no mention of it (which is your contract) and nothing to show it was amended...

Good luck on relying on the sticker, since that very likely also did not match what you ordered.

The sticker said "Standard Range Plus", which was _NOT_ what was ordered. In other words, the sticker said he got the _wrong_ car.

@joe12pack
The right thing to do would have been to refuse delivery.

I'm reminded of the guy that posted that he drove off in his M3 on delivery day and didn't pay... because they never ASKED fo his money. He really thought they wouldn't realize it.
Mistakes are mistakes and they will always happen. BUT to try to take advantage of them or someone's incompetence would keep me awake at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.