Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sr+ first road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I’ll try to keep it simple.

Canton Ga to Panama City beach FL

ABetterrouteplanner is completely different then the Tesla planer.

My usual route with an ICE would have gone through Dothan AL where of course the supercharger is (coming soon). Could usually make it 6 hours with stops.

I don’t mind the extra time but ABRP is 30 min longer and seems way out of the way where the Tesla one actually seems better.

so basically how much trust can I have in the Tesla route? Which one should I go with? Or any other tips or ideas at which chargers to go to and how long to charge at each stop. Thanks for all the help. New Tesla owner so just a bit nervous/excited for my first trip.

Will post Tesla trip photo in morning.

Attachments

• 5C94B7F2-B6C2-42A1-B44E-6E036A3CBC59.png
    5C94B7F2-B6C2-42A1-B44E-6E036A3CBC59.png
    724.3 KB · Views: 120
I’ve done that drive in that exact route (I’m in Woodstock).

My only recommendation to you is, like antoinearnau mentioned, to not trust 10% arrival. I typically arrive with less, so charge 5-10% past the recommended.

For the Greenville charge, I’d just drive like normal. Worst case, do a quick 10min stop at DeFuniak SC before reaching PC - that way you’ll have charge to drive around PC.

ABRP I find most useful for planning round trips where my destination may not have charging available.

Otherwise I just use the Tesla planner and ignore it if it suggests some sort of cross-country route that ignores a perfectly OK motorway route.

I’ve done that drive in that exact route (I’m in Woodstock).

My only recommendation to you is, like antoinearnau mentioned, to not trust 10% arrival. I typically arrive with less, so charge 5-10% past the recommended.

For the Greenville charge, I’d just drive like normal. Worst case, do a quick 10min stop at DeFuniak SC before reaching PC - that way you’ll have charge to drive around PC.

Hey small world! but thanks for the info. What the lowest you would feel comfortable setting it to? And have you ever did the route I just posted that Tesla is recommending. I find it weird because about a 3 days ago it said the Greenville route but now it recommends this one.

Hey small world! but thanks for the info. What the lowest you would feel comfortable setting it to? And have you ever did the route I just posted that Tesla is recommending. I find it weird because about a 3 days ago it said the Greenville route but now it recommends this one.

Just went to the car and checked - it’s suggesting the same route with a 55min charging stop in Auburn. When I did this trip last fall, the Tesla nav took me to the same route as what ABRP shows.

My guess is it’s wanting to charge to 100% in Auburn to be able to make it to DeFuniak Springs SC. Can’t see the projected arrival charge at DeFuniak Springs in the car, but my guess is it’s assuming 10% SoC arrival which is more than likely less in reality.

Me personally, I’d give the Tesla route a shot. Just keep in mind it may ask you to reduce speed between Auburn and DeFuniak Springs.

Lowest SoC I’ve pulled into a supercharger before was 3% on my way to North Carolina. It was a nail biter, but I was surprisingly not too worried.

• Funny
Reactions: Roman92
I trust ABRP way more than the Tesla in-car planner for two major reasons:
  • ABRP has been shockingly accurate when I punch in things like expected temperature and road conditions. Tesla, in my experience, assumes nearly best case scenario.
  • ABRP makes more frequent but faster charging stops (utilizes the bottom end of the battery for faster charging). Tesla often wants you to park at fewer chargers, sometimes charging to very high states which takes much longer.
If you will be using the heater at all, I'd say trust ABRP. If you are likely to encounter headwinds or rain, punch that into ABRP as well.

If you want to sit at a charger for longer, give yourself an extra 10-20% and take Tesla's route (you may have good reason for doing this, e.g. food stops). It's worth mentioning you can plug longer stops into ABRP but it gets a bit fiddly.

I would note that the charge times for ABRP are a bit optimistic. Even with preconditioning, it always took 5-15 minutes longer and that really adds up on longer trips. I used 15% as my minimum charger arrival, which was always sufficient even in poor conditions.

Reactions: Roman92
Just went to the car and checked - it’s suggesting the same route with a 55min charging stop in Auburn. When I did this trip last fall, the Tesla nav took me to the same route as what ABRP shows.

My guess is it’s wanting to charge to 100% in Auburn to be able to make it to DeFuniak Springs SC. Can’t see the projected arrival charge at DeFuniak Springs in the car, but my guess is it’s assuming 10% SoC arrival which is more than likely less in reality.

Me personally, I’d give the Tesla route a shot. Just keep in mind it may ask you to reduce speed between Auburn and DeFuniak Springs.

Lowest SoC I’ve pulled into a supercharger before was 3% on my way to North Carolina. It was a nail biter, but I was surprisingly not too worried.
I forgot to ask are you in a sr+ or a LR? And I’m thinking I might try this new route. But still undecided. Probably will be a last minute decision lol

We're almost down to a 15% margin, down from 20% when we started three years ago. It's a little faster.

You might enter the Tesla route into ABRP as waypoints and see how the times compare. Tesla favors long charging stops, which should increase travel times a little bit. Tesla selected a route I was uncomfortable with last year, probably expecting me to drive slower as needed. If you're OK with that, sometimes it's faster. Given no extra delays our ABRP times have been reasonably accurate.

I use ABRP to select my Supercharger stops. I trust the car to get me between charger stops, but use the ABRP Supercharger list as my destinations. Tesla's in-car estimates have been fairly accurate and even a little conservative for us.

I trust ABRP way more than the Tesla in-car planner for two major reasons:
  • ABRP has been shockingly accurate when I punch in things like expected temperature and road conditions. Tesla, in my experience, assumes nearly best case scenario.
  • ABRP makes more frequent but faster charging stops (utilizes the bottom end of the battery for faster charging). Tesla often wants you to park at fewer chargers, sometimes charging to very high states which takes much longer.
If you will be using the heater at all, I'd say trust ABRP. If you are likely to encounter headwinds or rain, punch that into ABRP as well.

If you want to sit at a charger for longer, give yourself an extra 10-20% and take Tesla's route (you may have good reason for doing this, e.g. food stops). It's worth mentioning you can plug longer stops into ABRP but it gets a bit fiddly.

I would note that the charge times for ABRP are a bit optimistic. Even with preconditioning, it always took 5-15 minutes longer and that really adds up on longer trips. I used 15% as my minimum charger arrival, which was always sufficient even in poor conditions.
How do you guys know if they’re will be head winds?

How do you guys know if they’re will be head winds?

If it's a route I'm familiar with, I might know parts of it just tend to be windy (and then I'll assume it's a headwind, because it somehow never seems to be in my favour!). If I'm unfamiliar with the areas, I just put no head wind in ABRP. I did look it up once for a 12h stretch, estimating with towns along the way with their forecasts.

I did a road trip from Canada down to Vegas in my SR+, the Tesla trip planner is fairly accurate, but deduct about 5% battery off what they say you'll have when you arrive. One time it said I'd get there with 10% and it ended up being 6%, I wasn't terribly worried about it, but just keep in mind the Tesla trip planner can be off about 5% either direction.