Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Front window corner speakers no audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with 8.4 or 8.5 on SR+ tested the pillar speakers yet? Im on 8.3 still and they dont work. Just curious if its a bug since they are installed unlike the SR. Also the whole point of "immersive audio" is those pillar speakers

Here is another mystery related to speakers.

There is one tweeter speaker in middle on the windshield. When I had the grill opened to expose these windshield speaker, I did not feel any vibration from the tweeter when I place my finger on it while playing a song. It could mean that the windshield tweeter doesn't work also, or could mean that if tweeter were working it didn't create the vibration that I could felt like the 4" speakers on windshield.

Is there a link or chart that shows which speakers work or dont work based on the trim level? I have a partial premium plus delivered 3/23/19 and I swear some of the speakers have been turned off after a software update. Its really annoying when you dont know what is suppose to work or whether or not its defective or just software limited. I absolutely hate this part of the model 3, nothing is clear cut and just because it worked when I picked it up doesnt mean it will work for the life of the car.

Is there a link or chart that shows which speakers work or dont work based on the trim level? I have a partial premium plus delivered 3/23/19 and I swear some of the speakers have been turned off after a software update. Its really annoying when you dont know what is suppose to work or whether or not its defective or just software limited. I absolutely hate this part of the model 3, nothing is clear cut and just because it worked when I picked it up doesnt mean it will work for the life of the car.
When I picked up my SR+ on 3/29, the speakers near the mirrors worked. Update came 2 days later, and speakers were disabled. No big deal, for that is what I purchased.

Not related, but under the category of "See how the other half lives": During the 2019.12.1.1 update (in which I updated from 2019.8.5) I sat in the car, during the update. The ambient lighting, otherwise disabled in the SR+, was enabled during the update. I was like... "WOW! Tesla threw us Plus buyers a bone!" Of course, as soon as the car "rebooted" from the update, the ambient lighting was again disabled.

Something
When I picked up my SR+ on 3/29, the speakers near the mirrors worked. Update came 2 days later, and speakers were disabled. No big deal, for that is what I purchased.

Not related, but under the category of "See how the other half lives": During the 2019.12.1.1 update (in which I updated from 2019.8.5) I sat in the car, during the update. The ambient lighting, otherwise disabled in the SR+, was enabled during the update. I was like... "WOW! Tesla threw us Plus buyers a bone!" Of course, as soon as the car "rebooted" from the update, the ambient lighting was again disabled.

Similar thing happened to me today with my SR+. I was stuck on 8.6.1, so I put in a service request and they bumped me to 16.2 today. When I drove home after the update found out I had streaming radio (Slacker) and web browser. Unfortunately A pillar speakers still didn't work and interestingly no satellite maps. Of course once I rebooted (I was curious if it would stick) it all disappeared...

I've had this crazy idea of buying a passive crossover and physically splitting the signal to the front dash 4" speakers to send the highs to the unused stock window corner tweeters. I feel like this should fill in some of that missing high end and provide better staging that bouncing the highs off the windshield.

I'm thinking this will make it more like the premium sound without spending much money, though still need to do something about the missing sub, but maybe go aftermarket there.

I've had this crazy idea of buying a passive crossover and physically splitting the signal to the front dash 4" speakers to send the highs to the unused stock window corner tweeters. I feel like this should fill in some of that missing high end and provide better staging that bouncing the highs off the windshield.

I'm thinking this will make it more like the premium sound without spending much money, though still need to do something about the missing sub, but maybe go aftermarket there.

This post might be of some interest to you-

aftermarket sound system info thread

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I have a LR with Premium interior. By switching Immersive sound on and off it does appear that the upper A-pillar speakers are part of that feature. The speakers at the corners of the front door windows are on in all modes. These are probably part of the Premium Audio. As it has been pointed out, there are 4 speakers on the dash that together with one in each door add up to the 8 the Upgraded Audio system is supposed to have (assuming all 4 in dash are used).