Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Goldilocks Range and Effectiveness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following the forum link you provided, your earlier post #29 stated:

"I found my PDF of my price quote. It basically says:

100 amp panel replacement:
Removal of existing panels and breakers
Install new 100 amp 30 circuit panel box
Install and label all new breakers
Update grounding system
Install 20 amp circuit to exterior of garage with 6-20 outlet
Permit costs not included

$1915"

Is this quote correct? The quotes shows that the electrician can install a 240V/20A circuit to the exterior of the garage and install a 6-20 receptacle.

It was at the time but it is close to 12 months old now. It is likely higher in price, but yes. That was it. The higher cost was reflective of the 14-50. 6-20 would probably be more than enough. 8 hours at 240@16A would give me over 30 kW.

It was at the time but it is close to 12 months old now. It is likely higher in price, but yes. That was it. The higher cost was reflective of the 14-50. 6-20 would probably be more than enough. 8 hours at 240@16A would give me over 30 kW.
When my Model Y was delivered I was set up for charging my 2017 Volt at 240V/16A. That was adequate for charging the Model Y. I was able to add ~5% charge to the Model Y battery pack per hour. Since I already had a 14-50 receptacle on a 50A circuit I was able to swap the 240V/20A EVSE for one rated for 240V/40A. I now charge at 240V/32A. I am able to add 10% charge to the Model Y battery pack per hour. In winter I can precondition while plugged in while maintaining the battery charge even while using 8kW to power and precondition the Model Y. I originally planned to use the Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter or the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector but these only have an 18 foot long charging cord. I needed an EVSE with a 24 ft or longer charging cord. My original EVSE was made by ClipperCreek. My current EVSE is the AmazingE Fast 32 (this EVSE is sold by ClipperCreek, has a 25 ft charging cord.) I use the Tesla J1772 adapter with the AmazingE unit.

Last edited:
I mean, apparently 3 different electricians have already evaluated it. I suppose there's a possibility someone here might come up with something none of them thought of, but....
If you follow the earlier thread (the one with the photos) there was already a quote from an electrician that included a 6-20 receptacle. Done and done; just need to decide to spend the $.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have no interest in building an EVSE from a kit. I've built Heathkit projects and assembled stereo amplifiers but I don't want to attempt to assemble an EVSE from parts and potentially burn down my house. I have nothing against OpenEVSE but the hobbyist days of the EV marketplace are over.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Yeah. My problem with the 120/12 is that it’s in the garage. I park in the driveway. Would have to figure out a way to run the cord outside and would be doing it regularly. Probably not the best for the cord.

I would save the $500, initially plan to charge at 120V/8A or 120V/12A. You will quickly learn whether 120V charging meets your needs. Then you can decide whether to spend the money for the 6-20 receptacle.

My experience with 120V charging is that 120V/8A charging is fast enough if you can charge for at least 10 or 11 hours and drive less than ~30 miles per day. 120V/12A is fast enough if you only drive ~40 miles per day.

Reactions: Pilot1226
The best solution will cost more money. Install a hard wired EVSE outside the garage. This could be the Tesla Wall Connector (since it is NEMA Level 4 rated for weather/water.) With a hard wired EVSE, one rated for 120V or 240V and 20A you won't need a receptacle. Having a receptacle installed outdoors is never optimal due to water getting into the receptacle/plug connection and causing corrosion.

An example of a non-Tesla EVSE would be the ClipperCreek LCS-20 (this version of the LCS-20 comes without a power plug connection, must be hard wired into a dedicated 240V/20A rated circuit.) 16A Level 2 EVSE LCS-20 | ClipperCreek