Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Heated Rear Seats Paid Upgrade live: $300

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
z4HhEZ7.jpg

Screw rear heated seats, bring on the Fog Lights Upgrade please!

Wait...hold on.....

Did Tesla decrease the price of your car by $300 by not including heated seats? Then offered you $300 to get heated rear seats?

Why is it expensive?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I’d rather have a heated steering wheel. I seldom ever use/need the rear seats.
Reminds me old Nissan Leaf which even came with a heated steering wheel..

I guess Elon REALLY figures they’ll be removing the steering wheel soon... I’ll have to sit on my hands I guess..
I would pay $500 To $1000 for a heated steering wheel.. it bothers me every time I drive for over six months a year!

I wonder if upgrading to rear heated seats will stay on if I ever sell my 3 to someone else.

Herein lies the issue with this way of doing things. The answer is who knows. The fact is, the value of our cars is only what they are, and what they are is just a giant computer. If I sell my desktop to someone but wipe the OS off, it's value isnt as high in some peoples view. If we sell our car back to Tesla, you would have to push for more value based on what you bought from them. Then if you come to an agreement, they're just going to wipe the car back to base and charge the next person for the same features. In a private sale there's no guarantee that once the new owner brings it for service that they don't wipe fsd, and the heated seats and whatever else our cars have that we don't know about because they didn't "pay" for it. What THAT means is they didn't pay Tesla for it, they paid you for it. I honestly don't know how to feel about this practise. What I do know is, this doesn't make our cars appreciate, because the features aren't really there permanently. I will say this,if I could take the MCU (which I should OWN) out of my 3 and put it the next Tesla I buy with software intact, I'd pay for every feature I felt I wanted because I know I'm getting to keep it.

Herein lies the issue with this way of doing things. The answer is who knows. The fact is, the value of our cars is only what they are, and what they are is just a giant computer. If I sell my desktop to someone but wipe the OS off, it's value isnt as high in some peoples view. If we sell our car back to Tesla, you would have to push for more value based on what you bought from them. Then if you come to an agreement, they're just going to wipe the car back to base and charge the next person for the same features. In a private sale there's no guarantee that once the new owner brings it for service that they don't wipe fsd, and the heated seats and whatever else our cars have that we don't know about because they didn't "pay" for it. What THAT means is they didn't pay Tesla for it, they paid you for it. I honestly don't know how to feel about this practise. What I do know is, this doesn't make our cars appreciate, because the features aren't really there permanently. I will say this,if I could take the MCU (which I should OWN) out of my 3 and put it the next Tesla I buy with software intact, I'd pay for every feature I felt I wanted because I know I'm getting to keep it.
agreed
not a big deal for seats, but huge for FSD, + upgrade etc..

agreed
not a big deal for seats, but huge for FSD, + upgrade etc..

Yea the seats thing isnt huge cost so if you need it great. But all we hear is how they're looking to trim some cost here and there. You will never convince me that it's cheaper for them to out the heated seats in every single car then charge 300 for it a c break even or turn a profit. Makes no sense. Also, if I've had them this whole time why didn't anyone offer it to me when I ordered the car? It's just kinda silly

Yea the seats thing isnt huge cost so if you need it great. But all we hear is how they're looking to trim some cost here and there. You will never convince me that it's cheaper for them to out the heated seats in every single car then charge 300 for it a c break even or turn a profit. Makes no sense. Also, if I've had them this whole time why didn't anyone offer it to me when I ordered the car? It's just kinda silly
It is cheaper, it is the same reason why they didn’t bother creating the cloth interior they showed off, or why none on the cars come with pocket lights, or frunk hooks.

Get a quote on 20,000 black rear standard seats and a quote for 30,000 white rear standard seats. Then get a quote for 100,000 black heated seats and a quote for 150,000 white heated seats. See how much the parts difference in cost actually is. It very well could be that if Tesla just orders 10, 20, 30k more of the heated seats they get a further discount on every heated seat based on volume. If they save a small percent on 100k seats it might be cheaper than paying a little less for standard seats that are a fairly small volume...

Reactions: PrGrPa
Get a quote on 20,000 black rear standard seats and a quote for 30,000 white rear standard seats. Then get a quote for 100,000 black heated seats and a quote for 150,000 white heated seats. See how much the parts difference in cost actually is. It very well could be that if Tesla just orders 10, 20, 30k more of the heated seats they get a further discount on every heated seat based on volume. If they save a small percent on 100k seats it might be cheaper than paying a little less for standard seats that are a fairly small volume...

Here's the question then. How do we know exactly what they bake into our cost for the car?