Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that they are giving the option for garage now but for 300? Maybe good deal, but for me, I might instead spend less for more funciton such as purchasing online garage wifi controller and control garage with phone at anywhere. Stil thinking.

...control garage...

I haven't used it and I haven't heard any Tesla owners using it but here it is:

How about $100 Tailwind? It senses your car's Bluetooth/phone location to automatically issue open and close garage commands.

You can use your phone app from anywhere in the world away from home to manually issue open/close commands your garage as well.

Last edited:
That’s great, how did you find the link ? Love to know what else is available

I was checking to see if the Rear Cargo mats were back in stock and just found it on the shopping page. I had been following another thread about the possibility of them enabling it for the SR+. Guess it does need a piece of hardware and was not just a software function.

Reactions: Curb71
I haven't used it and I haven't heard any Tesla owners using it but here it is:

How about $100 Tailwind? It senses your car's Bluetooth/phone location to automatically issue open and close garage commands.

You can use your phone app from anywhere in the world away from home to manually issue open/close commands your garage as well.
I second recommending the Tailwind. Save yourself $200

It’s pretty nice to have the functionality built in. I can’t tell from the product description if it is “location aware”, meaning it will automatically open your garage when you approach within a preset distance. I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t, but it seems oddly missing from the description.

Even though it is irrational to spend this much on a garage door opener I am still tempted to do it.

I looked at the tailwind opener previously but I am not convinced it is a good option. I don't like the idea of an app that needs to run in the background all the time just to open the garage door maybe twice a day. And at some point the app will be broken rendering the whole product useless while I wonder how long it will take to fix.

Now we just need to wait for the audio upgrade. But that is probably going to be like $1200.

It’s pretty nice to have the functionality built in. I can’t tell from the product description if it is “location aware”, meaning it will automatically open your garage when you approach within a preset distance. I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t, but it seems oddly missing from the description.
Closing implicates safety lawsuit issue.

Even though it is irrational to spend this much on a garage door opener I am still tempted to do it.

I looked at the tailwind opener previously but I am not convinced it is a good option. I don't like the idea of an app that needs to run in the background all the time just to open the garage door maybe twice a day. And at some point the app will be broken rendering the whole product useless while I wonder how long it will take to fix.

Now we just need to wait for the audio upgrade. But that is probably going to be like $1200.
Unfortunately the hardware and wiring is not there so that won’t happen

If this was just a software update it is an easy incremental revenue source for Tesla, but I wonder if this becomes a true incremental revenue source now they have to install something at the service Center ? And if so, what else are they going to start adding.

If this was just a software update it is an easy incremental revenue source for Tesla, but I wonder if this becomes a true incremental revenue source now they have to install something at the service Center ? And if so, what else are they going to start adding.

Yeah, for just a garage door opener this is a crazy price. But if you step back and think about it is probably not much of a money maker for Tesla: on Amazon the homelink openers run from $150 upwards. Then there is also the labor at the service center.
I realize it depends on how plug and play it would be for the SC and the true cost of the module for tesla, but I doubt the 100 dollars or so excites teTes as revenue stream.

I am excited though that Tesla is thinking about adding these options.

The Tailwind garage opener doesn’t need an app running for it to operate, it is completely automatic and opens & closes when it detects the Bluetooth device coming/going (your car’s Bluetooth, or android phone). If you’d prefer to have it automatically connect to a secondary Bluetooth device, they sell a Bluetooth vehicle sensor bundle for $10 more.

The Tailwind garage opener doesn’t need an app running for it to operate, it is completely automatic and opens & closes when it detects the Bluetooth device coming/going (your car’s Bluetooth, or android phone). If you’d prefer to have it automatically connect to a secondary Bluetooth device, they sell a Bluetooth vehicle sensor bundle for $10 more.

Their website says different. For example i'll quote from their FAQ:
Do you have to have your phone in the vehicle for the auto open / close to work?

Yes you need to have your phone with you. All open / close commands come from your phone. The Tailwind app on your phone searches for an authorized BlueTooth device nearby (one that you authorize in the Tailwind app). If that Bluetooth device is detected, your phone is authorized to send auto-open / close commands.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam