Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ limited regen - is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an SR+ a few weeks ago. Have noticed that the limited regen ....... appear and have been there despite starting charge of only 90% (ie 340km) and stays as low as 250km of range. The .... go all the way to the Neutral indicator (so not super limited, but still there is a limit). The weather is warm (>19 Celcius), and I cannot see a reason why there is limited regen. I have an LR RWD, which only showed the ...... when fully charged in the summer. There was no "break in period" where regen was limited. Is this something new for the SR+ battery? Have others experienced this? Is it just because the car is still relatively new (I think we're still at <1000km)?

Any input would be helpful. Don't want to bug Tesla if I don't need to.

So I keep my display in km not percentage, so 340 would be around 90%, and 250km would be about 65%. For comparison, I only see the limited regen on my LR when it is at or close to 100% and don’t think I’ve ever seen it at 90% or less unless it was single digits or lower cold.

Bumping this thread up for some feedback from other SR+ owners. Had a mobile service guy come out for an unrelated issue, and asked him. Seemed to not understand what the line/dots were at all and generally seemed confused about answering the question. So checking again with other SR+ owners: do you see any 'limited regen dots' when your battery is sitting between 65-90% charge state? I don't think this is normal, but if everyone else has it, I would be reassured. Uploading picture so people know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 117
I have the same behaviour on a SR+. I can't find any kind of correlation between the dotted line and the SoC nor the temperature, so far. I would say it happens more often when it's above 20C but that is as much as I can deduce so far. In my case it does it at 55% to 85% SoC which is the whole range I normally run the battery.

If the SR is targeting the same peak regen as the LR, it would be limited a great deal of the time. My LR AWD has regen dots in quite warm weather above 80% or so until it gets a few liberal applications of throttle.

I'd say its exceedingly unlikely theres anything wrong with the car. Tesla knows how to manage a battery.

Mine does that sometimes. But when it's dotted it doesn't mean it's not regening right? Just that any green bar that's past the dotted line won't be used ? I don't think we need to worry too much about it. I'm sure the battery is just doing what it needs to do

Got an SR+ a few weeks ago. Have noticed that the limited regen ....... appear and have been there despite starting charge of only 90% (ie 340km) and stays as low as 250km of range. The .... go all the way to the Neutral indicator (so not super limited, but still there is a limit). The weather is warm (>19 Celcius), and I cannot see a reason why there is limited regen. I have an LR RWD, which only showed the ...... when fully charged in the summer. There was no "break in period" where regen was limited. Is this something new for the SR+ battery? Have others experienced this? Is it just because the car is still relatively new (I think we're still at <1000km)?

Any input would be helpful. Don't want to bug Tesla if I don't need to.

The battery in the SR+ is a lower capacity, and it is lower capacity with a smaller ratio, as compared to the weight difference ratio between the two vehicles (the weight of the vehicle will determine the regen power needed to slow a given amount for a given slope). The max "C" at which you can recharge it is limited. You take the C and multiply by capacity (and divide by 1 hour) to give the max power. Since the vehicle can produce close to the same amount of regen power (it's a ratio of ~3500/4000 or whatever), that means it will have more limited regen. This applies to Supercharging and also to regen (the limits on each are likely not the same, presumably regen is a lower limit than Supercharging, since it happens a lot - but no one has published instrumented data on this).

The LR definitely can be regen limited at 90% SoC or even lower. The SR+ will be regen limited at a lower level.
There are multiple factors, as you know:

1) SoC
2) Temperature
3) Regen history (lots of recent regen on a cold battery seems to result in even more limited regen - no one here knows why). In other words, you'll find going down a constant slope with a cold battery that you'll start out with limited regen, and then the more you regen, the more the regen gets "pulled" (more dots). It's not a phenomenon associated with the change in SoC, either, since this can happen at quite low SoC for a cold-soaked battery.

I charge to 81% daily and always have limited regen. My initial theory is that to get full regen you need to do either of the following:

1) in the city, consume roughly 10kW of battery AND the have drove enough to warm the battery up. There’s no set amount you’ll need to drive as temps can play a huge role, but day to day I rarely get full regen.
2) Drive on the hwy at high speeds for 15-20 minutes. The only time I charged to 100% I had full regen in the 90% range because I was driving on the highway.

I’m sure the smaller battery plays a big role in the regen of the SR+.