Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR lowest depreciation (highest relative trade in)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can measure an EV based on $ per mile, and the LR RWD model 3 is the best value of any vehicle Tesla sells right now. When Cybertruck is released, the 70k for 500 mile range will just about match it. That assumes you actually need a 500 mile range though.

I’m not sure $ per mile of range is the end all measure of value for an EV but I guess it is one metric. I’ve lived with a Nissan Leaf since 2015. It makes my commute just fine and gets used extensively for around town activities on the weekend. Even an SR is a huge step up from that. Range only really matters on road trips due to charging speed and time between stops. For day to day use most would just plug in overnight and unplug in the morning... that’s what I do now.

Additionally, I’m not sure the SR will see much degradation in the first 5 years given the software limited pack. Will Tesla proportionally decreases the range as time passes or will you get the first 30 miles of loss for free as the pack degrades down to 220 miles at 100%? I don’t know if we know that answer yet.

I really want a stealth performance but can’t afford it now. I’m wondering if an SR would be a good stepping stone in the mean time and not cost me much net money over the next few years while I saved for the one I really want.

I really can't see NOT paying 2-2.5K for autosteer. I'd cheap out on paint, wheel options, anything else.

I appreciate the comments they raise some interesting points.

I think you are actually making a strong case for waiting a couple of years and getting a used one with all the bells and whistles vs getting a lower end model now. After the Y comes out and supply matches or exceeds demand I would expect the used market to look a bit more traditional in its pricing so a 2018 stealth performance might be under $35k in 2022.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I just want to 0-60 in one of those as many times as I can. It’s like going to Busch gardens and riding the induction coaster at every stop light and on ramp. I could take or leave the rest of it.

I appreciate the comments they raise some interesting points.

I think you are actually making a strong case for waiting a couple of years and getting a used one with all the bells and whistles vs getting a lower end model now. After the Y comes out and supply matches or exceeds demand I would expect the used market to look a bit more traditional in its pricing so a 2018 stealth performance might be under $35k in 2022.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I just want to 0-60 in one of those as many times as I can. It’s like going to Busch gardens and riding the induction coaster at every stop light and on ramp. I could take or leave the rest of it.

Here's another point to consider. The best timing to own your -FIRST- Tesla is -YESTERDAY.

In 3 years, it might make sense again to buy new. The performance of a stealth doesn't outweigh a new MCU or any other tech changes that might possibly be in a 2022 Model 3.

If that's the case, you will be in exactly the same position you are 3 years from now that you are in today.

In the meantime, you miss out on driving the funnest, most advanced, and safest car in the world. We only have so many 3 year blocks of time on Earth.

No brainer to me that that -everyone- should be driving around in a 3SR at the minimum. It takes a little bit more faith and imagination but I would add in at least basic AP/Autosteer.

You don't know exactly what will happen in 3 years, but today you know awesome a 3SR with autopilot is.

Reactions: Mr X
I would think that the dual AWD would have better re-sell value than the SR+ Within 5 years EV will have 400-500miles a charge standard - a car that has under 300 I don't think would be as valuable as one that has 325.

The SR+ will be the new Leaf by then, in-city only.

But the flip side is there will be charging points in even more spots in 5yrs so it won’t matter

Damn well now I should have ordered the SR+ not the AWD- although I figured extra range, better radio, fully connected, and AWD may be worth it...

It all comes down to how long you hold your cars. If it's short duration like 3 years, go for cheapest.

If you hold longer, each "upgrade" is divided across more months.

It all comes down to how long you hold your cars. If it's short duration like 3 years, go for cheapest.

If you hold longer, each "upgrade" is divided across more months.

yeah I always hold til it's time to buy a new one- although with the Y coming out and now possibility of tax incentives back at $7k having second thoughts about taking delivery of the 3 before the 31st....

I’d like it if Tesla let you pick their own cars on their site for trade-in value.

And not to throw this thread too off-topic but why is FSD not transferable to your next Tesla vehicle? I understand if I have a 2019 SR+ w/ FSD and sell it then try to buy a 2022 version and it’s not back to back cars obviously but if I get in a wreck and they total the car or I want to upgrade from an SR+ to a LR... cmon, maybe a transfer fee but not the whole price all over again
They should make FSD account transferable to your latest Tesla vehicle until it is feature complete, Once feature complete then it is locked on your current vehicle of choice. Simply because if you buy a 2019 Model 3 with FSD and they cannot get it feature complete by 2024 and you want a new Tesla then you have to buy it at whatever price it is set at that year. In some cases many might not be able to afford the upgrade and will never get to enjoy that feature on their new car. I don't mean to sound entitled at all. Also I understand that according to Elon that hypothetical fsd model 3 2019 will have gone up in value so I could be compensated. It's just hard to wrap my brain around that happening.

yeah I always hold til it's time to buy a new one- although with the Y coming out and now possibility of tax incentives back at $7k having second thoughts about taking delivery of the 3 before the 31st....

News seem to believe ev credit is dead. But if it were to pass, the structure is that you would get a 6,500 credit since you are in transition before passage.

So if you actually wait until next year and they passed it next year, Tesla would just raise the price to capture the subsidies.

I’ll always stand by the time for your first Tesla is today.

You can hedge to the Y by going SR+

Tesla undoubtedly won’t have big Y volume early and will be selling the performance models first. You’ll be waiting an indeterminate amount of time.