Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Model may not ship until end of June

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this article in the LA Times, Elon stated on a conference call on Thursday that the SR model may not be available until the end of June, putting it dangerously close to the next reduction in federal tax credit. Once again Tesla is confirming that you can’t trust anything you see on the website, only what either comes out of Elon’s mouth or on one of his tweets.

Tesla website and Elon Musk differ on Model 3 delivery dates. Two weeks? Four months?

The priority is for longtime reservation holders so we would first need to assess how many of the long term reservation holders want the $35,000 car,” he said in the call. “It is very likely that someone who orders will get the car in the U.S. by the end of June.

So in other words, you shouldn't expect that if you put in your order now that you're first in line. Back of the line if you don't already have a reservation.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
According to this article in the LA Times, Elon stated on a conference call on Thursday that the SR model may not be available until the end of June, putting it dangerously close to the next reduction in federal tax credit. Once again Tesla is confirming that you can’t trust anything you see on the website, only what either comes out of Elon’s mouth or on one of his tweets.

Tesla website and Elon Musk differ on Model 3 delivery dates. Two weeks? Four months?

That isn't what he said. He said that a person that isn't a reservation holder might not get their SR until the end of June if a lot of reservations holders order since they jump to the front of the delivery line.

You should be OK. Orders for LR AWD are delivered in 2 weeks. I guess you just need to wait to place your order

upload_2019-3-3_12-43-11.png

While I think there might be additional delays in the true 35k base car, because they are putting in different physical materials (seats, console, trim, etc) there will be minimal delay for the SR+ at 37k, it shares all the same hardware components as the current production cars except for the battery pack. they're just not installing a sub in the trunk and software limiting some of the on-screen functionality.....which by the way I wouldn't be surprised if they offered as a 1k software unlock down the road (I'm talking about the satellite nav and GPS garage door that they're stripping away)

Reactions: DavidP and vickh
Yes, but the SR shows 2-4 weeks and now we see reports of Elon saying it will be June...so brings into question all of the estimated delivery timeframes.

I think the delay will be only for standard version non-reservation holders. I do not think there is a line for LR AWD cars. You can check in couple weeks and see the updated delivery time. I suspect Tesla will prioritize US deliveries over any other country, as shipping involves much less hassle. Mark-up on the car you mention is already pretty good, so no reason not to make a sale.

I placed an order for an SR+ today. I was quoted two week delivery on the order confirmation and was informed it would be delivered directly to my home address. I did not have a reservation so I’m at the bottom of the queue. Hopefully the two week quote is accurate.

I had a few concerns about the SR+ but was able to address most of them this morning. I confirmed that even though you can’t see the traffic on screen, it still receives traffic data and uses it for route optimization.

Nobody can tell me how many speakers the car has. But I don’t see myself spending an extra $3K just for that. I did confirm with the sales office today that if I want to upgrade to a different model I can do this at any time prior to delivery, even if they have already built my car and have it ready to go. And of course there is the 7 day return policy.

I did confirm the car has Homelink. It just is not GPS enabled so I have to press a button on the screen to open my garage door rather than having it open automatically as I drive up. Not a big issue for me.

I did not order Autopilot or any other upgrades, so my final price was $37K plus $1,200 dest/doc fee, so $38,200. I already have one M3 with EAP and find we rarely use it. I don’t do much freeway driving, and if we occasionally do we can just take the car with EAP.

So my net price after tax credits and local incentives is just about $30K (plus sales tax), which seems like an amazing deal for all the car includes. I’m very excited!

This whole thread seems a "storm in a teacup" :-(

If you want an SR (despite the SR+ being a whole lot better value) order it and get in line. Tesla are saying they will try to deliver before the end of Q2, and are also saying reservation holders will get priority.
IMHO Tesla may phase it out after the reservation holders have a chance to order it, so don't hesitate too long.

I would presume Tesla will attempt to delivery a mix of vehicles, so they will maximize deliveries of higher margin products, so SR and SR+ deliveries will extend out as more people get ahead of you inline.
So, again, if you want an SR or SR+ and to get delivery be the tax credit drops again, get it ordered ASAP.

Note: To the guy trying to time a delivery for LR+AWD until June, I'd recommend you place the order Mid-April and be prepared to get it in May. If you order before the end of March, Tesla will try to delivery by the end of March. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and Moze1021
T

Note: To the guy trying to time a delivery for LR+AWD until June, I'd recommend you place the order Mid-April and be prepared to get it in May. If you order before the end of March, Tesla will try to delivery by the end of March. :)

Cool cool..Thanks... I could handle that... just trying to limit the time with 2 car payments & still get tax credit before drop since I'm stuck in a lease through September... and I'm also going to want to burn up the lease miles which will be harder with a Tesla sitting there..haha

A Tesla rep actually said I could order now and they could hold for delivery in June. But... I'd rather wait to place the order and see if HW3 starts hitting the line before then.

I placed an order for an SR+ today. I was quoted two week delivery on the order confirmation and was informed it would be delivered directly to my home address. I did not have a reservation so I’m at the bottom of the queue. Hopefully the two week quote is accurate.

I had a few concerns about the SR+ but was able to address most of them this morning. I confirmed that even though you can’t see the traffic on screen, it still receives traffic data and uses it for route optimization.

Nobody can tell me how many speakers the car has. But I don’t see myself spending an extra $3K just for that. I did confirm with the sales office today that if I want to upgrade to a different model I can do this at any time prior to delivery, even if they have already built my car and have it ready to go. And of course there is the 7 day return policy.

I did confirm the car has Homelink. It just is not GPS enabled so I have to press a button on the screen to open my garage door rather than having it open automatically as I drive up. Not a big issue for me.

I did not order Autopilot or any other upgrades, so my final price was $37K plus $1,200 dest/doc fee, so $38,200. I already have one M3 with EAP and find we rarely use it. I don’t do much freeway driving, and if we occasionally do we can just take the car with EAP.

So my net price after tax credits and local incentives is just about $30K (plus sales tax), which seems like an amazing deal for all the car includes. I’m very excited!

This is very encouraging news, there was a Tesla rep on reddit this morning that said there was no garage door opener on the SR+, but obviously, he doesn't have one to look at. My own local rep was basically "I don't know" to all my questions. Will you PLEASE keep us updated as soon as you get delivery and confirm this stuff for us?

Last edited:
The Tesla rep I spoke with said the car still has Homelink so it will open a garage door. The car obviously has a GPS in it, so it sounds like they’ve just disabled the location based auto open in the SR/SR+.

When is the last time anyone saw a car without a basic garage door opener feature built into it? It seems like it be pretty ridiculous to not provide that basic functionality in a $35K+ car.

Reactions: scottf200
The Tesla rep I spoke with said the car still has Homelink so it will open a garage door. The car obviously has a GPS in it, so it sounds like they’ve just disabled the location based auto open in the SR/SR+.

When is the last time anyone saw a car without a basic garage door opener feature built into it? It seems like it be pretty ridiculous to not provide that basic functionality in a $35K+ car.

Since the homelink / garage door opener is important to you, I would recommend testing that before the delivery person actually leaves from your home delivery.

Im not saying that the employee you spoke to would deliberately tell you something wrong. I am just saying that, there is a chance they could be mis informed. I certainly dont know, but it would not be the first time that a tesla representative said something that was incorrect.

Again, I am not trying to spread FUD... just telling you to check, since this seems important to you. If it doesnt have it, you could always buy a garage door remote (or use a spare one) so its not the end of the world. Will be interesting to see if it actually has the homelink module.