Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Model Y 7 seater waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt if soft match tool is such a made up tool because it is mentioned and advised in different forums across different regions and doubt SAs discussed to come up with an imaginary tool :)

Regarding MY SR 7 - there is none on the inventory available at this time with this configuration, you will find 5 seaters but not 7 seater. I called couple of tesla stores in Texas and none have anything on their inventory. Also, the trend I am seeing is that standard configurations are getting fulfilled and orders with additional paid options are not seeing the VINs yet.

Reactions: mcmcn
I have delivery scheduled for 3/15. My SA has been great and was able to match me with a 116xxx VIN. SR MY 7 / blue / black int / 19” / no tow / no FSD. I changed from MSM to blue to get a match. I don’t know what updates it will have, but none of them have been deal breakers for me.

Last edited:
I have delivery scheduled for 3/15. My SA has been great and was able to match me with a 116xxx VIN. SR MY / blue / black int / 19” / no tow / no FSD. I changed from MSM to blue to get a match. I don’t know what updates it will have, but none of them have been deal breakers for me.

Can you explain how that worked? Did your SA tell you that a color change would definitely give you a match? Or did you change color hoping it would get you a match? How did your SA have visibility in available VINs? Using the legendary "soft match tool" or was there a 7-seater available in inventory locally (e.g. a cancelled order)? Thanks!

Can you explain how that worked? Did your SA tell you that a color change would definitely give you a match? Or did you change color hoping it would get you a match? How did your SA have visibility in available VINs? Using the legendary "soft match tool" or was there a 7-seater available in inventory locally (e.g. a cancelled order)? Thanks!

I assume it was in inventory as he could not get a straight answer on when (or if) my MSM would be built, but I’m not certain. He said he could get blue in the same configuration and I accepted. I was debating switching to blue anyway so that worked out!

I assume it was in inventory as he could not get a straight answer on when (or if) my MSM would be built, but I’m not certain. He said he could get blue in the same configuration and I accepted. I was debating switching to blue anyway so that worked out!
Lucky you !!! I could not find any match for 7 seater SR when I checked with my SA and neither he had answers for estimate date for my existing order. Only when I called customer care, they said there is no match found for my config and there is no guarantee that factory would make new builds for my config and I may have to end up changing the configuration to find a match.

Okay, I have been officially told to change my existing configuration (MSM, Black interior, 20inch and 7 seater) as they don't have this configuration available in the inventory and factory is no longer producing SR 7. He did an inventory search and found two models that closely matched my configuration except for the color (matched with RED), one of them was close my area and other one was on NY side. I really don't want RED as I already have a RED so the choice is wait for me to find any inventory becomes available due to any rejections or change the configuration. He could find me match for lot of SR 5 seaters though.

Okay, I have been officially told to change my existing configuration (MSM, Black interior, 20inch and 7 seater) as they don't have this configuration available in the inventory and factory is no longer producing SR 7. He did an inventory search and found two models that closely matched my configuration except for the color (matched with RED), one of them was close my area and other one was on NY side. I really don't want RED as I already have a RED so the choice is wait for me to find any inventory becomes available due to any rejections or change the configuration. He could find me match for lot of SR 5 seaters though.
Weird... I have almost the same config and I was just told yesterday that I would receive mine by the end of the month....

What I am hearing is factory stopped manufacturing SR 7 seater so whatever is there in the inventory is how they are matching people with existing orders and for anyone if there is no matching configurations in the inventory, they are advising them to change the config or wait until end of this month to see if it becomes available in inventory due to rejections. Two RED ones he mentioned was made available this morning due to rejection he says, I was not able to locate any SR 7 seater (MSM/Blue/Red) yesterday.

I am going by what SAs and customer care are saying and they have been consistent with the updates. I am started to thinking now about configuration change, MSM/Blue were my primary choice but I now have to give up and get what they have or look for LR option. I can really stretch on the budget to get LR but I don't want to if given a choice.

if your SA promised you would be end of this month, make sure you check with them weekly or call the central customer care to get an idea - if you're willing to trade off on the color/options, they can find you something on the inventory to match you. This 7 seater inventory list is available only internal to them he says which is why i could not find the RED nearby Tesla store.

Dang, that really stinks..... I will make sure to check with him weekly. Anyone else willing to contact their SA and see which story they hear? End of month delivery, or no more production? Mine seemed very sure that I would get it and he even stated all existing orders will be honored... but he also seemed very sure I would get a vin last week. Please ask and let us know!

I've spoken to a couple SA's in BC and their message from their internal management has consistently been, "if you ordered it, you'll get it."
I don't understand how the messaging can be so different. Either we're wrong to wait, or wrong to panic and change our orders. It should be pretty black and white, either they're making my car or they aren't.
I also don't understand how a company can offer something for weeks, accept deposits and then provide delivery to some of the customers but not all of the customers.
There will be some unhappy customers who are told to wait patiently only to find out there are none left in inventory. Or on the flip side, who begrudgingly change their specs needlessly.

I've spoken to a couple SA's in BC and their message from their internal management has consistently been, "if you ordered it, you'll get it."
I don't understand how the messaging can be so different. Either we're wrong to wait, or wrong to panic and change our orders. It should be pretty black and white, either they're making my car or they aren't.
I also don't understand how a company can offer something for weeks, accept deposits and then provide delivery to some of the customers but not all of the customers.
There will be some unhappy customers who are told to wait patiently only to find out there are none left in inventory. Or on the flip side, who begrudgingly change their specs needlessly.
I talked to a SA from Vancouver yesterday, and when I told her about what I read here, she put me on hold to talk to her manager and came back with no guarantee that my order will be honored. No 7 seater in BC inventory, no 7seater on transit at the moment. According to her, there were several MY SR 7seaters released last couple of weeks, but the colors didn't match mine so I missed them.
With some chance of my order not being honored, I looked into the current MY SR 5seat inventory (there are 15) and decided to go for the inventory vehicle if it has the new console, but I was confirmed that none of them had new consoles :(

Now I just emailed my SA saying that I am open to any color of ext and int as long as it's MY SR 7seat to increase a chance of getting one assigned. I really hope this will get me one.

My original config was MY SR Ext:wht / Int: B&W / 19" / 7seat.

Sigh. If my white ext, black int, 20” induction, 7 seat, SR MY cannot be delivered... Then I’ll just hold out and wait to see what comes of the tax credit. Too bad.

I think I’m at that point too. If my Y doesn’t come, I’ll have to save up for a LR, or wait for a SR+ to hopefully come around.

I wish I could do that too, but I already sold my car back in January trusting the delivery estimate, and with two toddlers without a car, it's pretty tough to do anything. As we cannot afford to wait longer than beyond March, my wife and I decided to downgrade to 5 seater, but no luck in finding the right one. I have a feeling that the SA I talked to could not say anything to avoid any liability since they don't have much information either. I am really hoping that this waiting time of uncertainty ends this month. Even if I get a vin assigned, there is no guarantee that the BC CEV incentive will be available as it's running pretty low again... sigh....

Hi all -- MB from the Bay - originally ordered MY SR RWD 7 seater in April of 2019 - On Jan 7th, I took a test drive of the Y and was assigned an SA. Left the test drive feeling good - SA calls me on my way home and tells me "tesla is not making the RWD and we'd have to cancel" I told her we'll just wait it out. Jan 21st - i get a check in the mail for $2500 via fedex from Tesla. - I called the SA, she said they were forcing cancelations but that we could get MY SR 7 seater AWD for $100 deposit. Pretty angry, at this point, but there's really nothing we can do, if we want the car we'll order what they have. Got a 2 - 6 week delivery window. on 2/12 I got a date range - from 2/12 - 3/10 - then 2/13, 2/14, 2/16 all the way till 2/18, and then no date range. Been following along - so I didnt panic right away. But now Im starting to panic, because my lease ends on Friday and I have to turn it in. So I texted my SA today - she said "we will get delivery, the delivery team will contact you soon" She also said she had no idea what the soft match was. I really want this car, but I dont want the AWD (bay area, and I dont go to the mountains) and for sure dont need LR, plus that's really not in my budget. I need the 7 seat, because i have 2 kids and grandparents that visit regularly. Might have to consider the Toyota Sienna Minivan thats Hybrid now.
Config - blue/black no FDC, No Hitch 20 inch wheels.

I wish I could do that too, but I already sold my car back in January trusting the delivery estimate, and with two toddlers without a car, it's pretty tough to do anything. As we cannot afford to wait longer than beyond March, my wife and I decided to downgrade to 5 seater, but no luck in finding the right one. I have a feeling that the SA I talked to could not say anything to avoid any liability since they don't have much information either. I am really hoping that this waiting time of uncertainty ends this month. Even if I get a vin assigned, there is no guarantee that the BC CEV incentive will be available as it's running pretty low again... sigh....

I’m in the same boat. Sold my car quickly with the original 2-6 week estimate in mind. Being a one car (van) family with 4 kids has not been ideal. Working (mostly) from home due to the pandemic has made that aspect easier at least. If our order falls through I won’t be able to wait. I’ll probably be picking up an older 6/7 seat X.

If I am forced to cancel my SR MY 7seater, I’m going to need more than a second motor and slightly larger battery to justify the $9k increase. Don’t need no stinking AWD - I live in paradise (SoCal). And don’t need slightly more range for the around town car - the TriMotor CyberTruck will handle trips.

May just wait for the air suspension or whatever else will be selectively coming to only the LR/P trims.