Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Model Y 7 seater waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well a little bit of news from my SA - My 1/20 order of SR RWD MY7 Blue/Black Gemini, no hitch, no FDC - After initially telling me that we'd get the car before the end of March, she now says that we will get the car, but most likely not till May and maybe closer to the end of it. She says, Blue, gray and Red will not be produced till after the quarter is over. Only Black and white is coming off the line till then. She offered to change the color of the car and refund the $1000 color fee, and promised a vehicle would be matched before April 15th. However, we really want the blue, so we're sticking with the original order.
I drove a loaner performance Model Y in blue. I agree you should stick with it my wife and I both loved that color.

Well a little bit of news from my SA - My 1/20 order of SR RWD MY7 Blue/Black Gemini, no hitch, no FDC - After initially telling me that we'd get the car before the end of March, she now says that we will get the car, but most likely not till May and maybe closer to the end of it. She says, Blue, gray and Red will not be produced till after the quarter is over. Only Black and white is coming off the line till then. She offered to change the color of the car and refund the $1000 color fee, and promised a vehicle would be matched before April 15th. However, we really want the blue, so we're sticking with the original order.
Add the 20” induction, switch to white and come on over team storm-trooper :)

Add the 20” induction, switch to white and come on over team storm-trooper
Im a little short to be a storm trooper - HA! I have never really liked white cars, call me crazy, but im gonna stick with the Blue. We turned our lease in last week, so it's a little touch and go with only one car. But if it gets crazy, we might have to consider whatever is coming off the line.

• Funny
Reactions: bryan995
MY SR 7 seater was 48k with CA $1500 rebate . MY LR is 60k.

what’s the update on your end? Any ViN assigned to you?
The math still doesn't work. LR is $10k. All other options are the same price whether on a SR or LR. A fully optioned (Red, White interior, Inductions, Tow Hitch and 7seat) is $9k additional. Minus the $1500 you are $7500 above starting price. 39,990+7500=47490 49990+7500=57490. You can throw in another $1000 since the SR starting price was 38990 at the time. Still, $11,000 I get that it is more and I'll give you the sales tax on the extra $10,000 but please don't throw extra costs in that don't exist. If cost is a concern, white, black interior, 19", no tow hitch saves you $6k. $51,490 is very close to $48k SR.

Yes, it is a 7 seater. I can confirm all 4 kids and their car seats (1 infant & 3 forward facing) fit. It was one that they had at my local showroom. If you can find a demo at a discount it's worth it. I ended up paying about $168 per mile of range on the demo LR vs $186 per mile of range on the SR (This is what I used to justify the additional cost 🤣). I don't know what vehicle you had before but the LR acceleration (without the acceleration boost) is on par with the SR+ Model 3.
Nice!!!
The math still doesn't work. LR is $10k. All other options are the same price whether on a SR or LR. A fully optioned (Red, White interior, Inductions, Tow Hitch and 7seat) is $9k additional. Minus the $1500 you are $7500 above starting price. 39,990+7500=47490 49990+7500=57490. You can throw in another $1000 since the SR starting price was 38990 at the time. Still, $11,000 I get that it is more and I'll give you the sales tax on the extra $10,000 but please don't throw extra costs in that don't exist. If cost is a concern, white, black interior, 19", no tow hitch saves you $6k. $51,490 is very close to $48k
Regarding the exact pricing, my point still stands . It’s over 10k and it’s hard for me to justifying paying that much for 80 more miles! Just my opinion!

Supposed to take delivery tonight @ 6:00 in Nashville, not holding my breath though....

I was supposed to take delivery on Sunday but 'bad weather' caused a shipping delay. I called in yesterday and my SA said my car is still 'in transit' so as of yesterday, around 11:30, it wasnt even at the dealership yet. He was supposed to call me before they closed and let me know if it arrived. As per his usual style, I heard nothing from him....

Begin SA rant: I cant believe how much my SA doesnt care... He wont even track the vehicle to see if it has started to move. He doesnt call me back when he says, he is very nice but just doesnt care. I started calling in and not asking for him because other SA's have been like, "No problem, what is your number we check on it for you!" and they log in and act like they enjoy helping me and it took all of two minutes! Just disappointed with his lack of enthusiasm and it is blatantly obvious he doesn't like his job. Just sucks cause he is ruining my view of Tesla and my experience before I even get my vehicle...

End rant. Sorry, just wanted to share in case any others are struggling with your SA, you are not alone!

I will take some snaps and relay the build quality and everything if I actually get to take delivery later today.

Good luck to all you of you still holding out for a VIN!!

Supposed to take delivery tonight @ 6:00 in Nashville, not holding my breath though....

I was supposed to take delivery on Sunday but 'bad weather' caused a shipping delay. I called in yesterday and my SA said my car is still 'in transit' so as of yesterday, around 11:30, it wasnt even at the dealership yet. He was supposed to call me before they closed and let me know if it arrived. As per his usual style, I heard nothing from him....

Begin SA rant: I cant believe how much my SA doesnt care... He wont even track the vehicle to see if it has started to move. He doesnt call me back when he says, he is very nice but just doesnt care. I started calling in and not asking for him because other SA's have been like, "No problem, what is your number we check on it for you!" and they log in and act like they enjoy helping me and it took all of two minutes! Just disappointed with his lack of enthusiasm and it is blatantly obvious he doesn't like his job. Just sucks cause he is ruining my view of Tesla and my experience before I even get my vehicle...

End rant. Sorry, just wanted to share in case any others are struggling with your SA, you are not alone!

I will take some snaps and relay the build quality and everything if I actually get to take delivery later today.

Good luck to all you of you still holding out for a VIN!!
Just confirming, And this is SR 7? Can you you share VIN starting with? Wanted to see if production is ON for these models.

VIN is 135XXX, born Mar 5 2021, yes Standard Range with seven seats. The one thing my SA always told me, well besides "still in transit", was that Tesla would honor all existing SR orders. I know others have heard differently but that is what he told me and I am supposed to get it today...

Reactions: madan005
VIN is 135XXX, born Mar 5 2021, yes Standard Range with seven seats. The one thing my SA always told me, well besides "still in transit", was that Tesla would honor all existing SR orders. I know others have heard differently but that is what he told me and I am supposed to get it today...
That is good to know. Please update your experience once you took delivery.

Nice!!!

Regarding the exact pricing, my point still stands . It’s over 10k and it’s hard for me to justifying paying that much for 80 more miles! Just my opinion!
You also get AWD and a year of premium connectivity for free. Not sure anyone has reported on the SR Y but the SR+ M3 doesn't have fog lights. It also adds rear heated seats for the LR AWD. So it is not just 80 miles of range. There are a lot of other added benefits that you are just overlooking. I understand if you have a set budget of what you want to spend but make sure to include all the facts in your argument. I will still stand by my point that you can get a 7 seat LR AWD Y for $3,000 more than your SR Y. If having a Y was really that important to you at your budget, I am sure you could make do with a white one, with slightly smaller rims and an all black interior. If not, the best 7 passenger vehicle with an electric motor is the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV ($55,000 fully optioned and factor in over $10,000 in FCA cash, tax rebate and CA clean vehicle rebate). If you are looking for a BEV with 7 seats, I don't know what to tell you.🤷‍♂️

You also get AWD and a year of premium connectivity for free. Not sure anyone has reported on the SR Y but the SR+ M3 doesn't have fog lights. It also adds rear heated seats for the LR AWD. So it is not just 80 miles of range. There are a lot of other added benefits that you are just overlooking. I understand if you have a set budget of what you want to spend but make sure to include all the facts in your argument. I will still stand by my point that you can get a 7 seat LR AWD Y for $3,000 more than your SR Y. If having a Y was really that important to you at your budget, I am sure you could make do with a white one, with slightly smaller rims and an all black interior. If not, the best 7 passenger vehicle with an electric motor is the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV ($55,000 fully optioned and factor in over $10,000 in FCA cash, tax rebate and CA clean vehicle rebate). If you are looking for a BEV with 7 seats, I don't know what to tell you.🤷‍♂️

I have a SR Model Y and it has fog lights and rear heated seats and a heated steering wheel. I did only get one month of premium connectivity, yes, but the vehicle is otherwise identical to a LR minus AWD/front motor and cost, of course. Same tires too.

Reactions: Rich024

The money is irrelevant, the argument is that the added value from MY-SR7 to MY-LR7 is not there for the $11,000+tax cost. You can't remove options and then continue to compare apples:apples. It is $11,000+tax for the 80 miles, awd, faster 0-60, 1yr connectivity and faster charging.

I am a value-constrained buyer, and have also settled on the MY-SR7.

The only other difference that others often overlook is the slower charging speed. SR charges at 32A while LR charges at 48A. SR may also be limited for v3 super-charging. Generally not an issue, especially with the smaller pack size. Both cars could fully charge overnight 99% of the time.

Reactions: Rich024
He is also suggesting that the change from SR to LR is $14,000 and isn't factoring in the $1500 rebate in the LR but is on the SR. If he just said there is a $10k different plus taxes we wouldn't be having this discussion. 8% sales tax on $10,000 is $800. So say the difference is $11,000, I am ok with that. He is trying to say its $14,000.

As far as apples to apples, I never said that was the case. In the event of not being able to get a SR Y you look at alternatives. If I need the Y for 7 passengers and can only afford sub $50,000 then I look to see if I can stretch for $51,000 and a base LR Y. We are talking white/black/19s/7 seat. You are $42,990 SR vs LR the same $52,990. There is no wiggle room in the $10,000 difference there. But, if you start adding preferential items like color, wheels, white interior, you have gone beyond a vehicle that meets your basic needs and to me you can no longer factor those things in if you are truely budget constrained. Will the car cease to meet your needs if it is white vs red? Or the interior is black vs white? The 7 seat vs 5 seats $3,000 argument is very valid and I totally agree with that. But adding another $5000 of options and saying the LR Y is still $10,000 more for things you NEED doesnt hold water for me. If you are that set on those options being a necessity, then I am sorry but you need to look elsewhere or wait a long long time because there isn't a vehicle for you. Outside of something that was rejected by someone else popping up and there are likely thousands of people around the country waiting for those to pop up.

The money is irrelevant, the argument is that the added value from MY-SR7 to MY-LR7 is not there for the $11,000+tax cost. You can't remove options and then continue to compare apples:apples. It is $11,000+tax for the 80 miles, awd, faster 0-60, 1yr connectivity and faster charging.

I am a value-constrained buyer, and have also settled on the MY-SR7.

The only other difference that others often overlook is the slower charging speed. SR charges at 32A while LR charges at 48A. SR may also be limited for v3 super-charging. Generally not an issue, especially with the smaller pack size. Both cars could fully charge overnight 99% of the time.
I was sold on the Model Y SR 7 seat configuration until mine arrived with a bad main battery.

Options aside the long-range is a better deal based on cost per mile. The Model Y Standard range at the time it was removed was $38,990 with a range of 244 miles which equals $159.79 per mile. The Long Range Model Y was $48,990 at the time the SR was removed with a range of 326 miles which equals $150.72 per mile. This doesn't include the added benefit of supercharging speed and extra motor. If you plan on doing any trip even only a couple of times. The amount of time spent charging is more than you think. In cool or cold weather you will often have to charge close to 100% to make your next charging destination. When supercharging above 80% time adds up exponentially. If you don't believe me use A Better Routeplanner and take a look. My wife and I were planning an anniversary trip in a week. The destination doesn't have a charger and the rural area doesn't have a supercharger. Assuming we couldn't find an accessible interior 120v outlet at our cabin. With the SR we would have been forced to drive an hour in the wrong direction to supercharge at the end of our two-day trip. It added over two hours to our return trip.

That being said coming from a 2019 Model 3 SR+ I had only two incidents where I had to change driving behavior to make a charger/destination. Once was my fault as I forgot to charge the night before and the other was a one-time impromptu drive. I am glad my SR 7 seater had a faulty battery pack forcing me to buy a demo Model Y LR at a $3k discount. The acceleration of the Model Y LR seems very similar to the acceleration of my Model 3 SR+ which means the SR Model Y would have left me disappointed. Disappointed isn't a feeling I want when I spend over $40k on anything.

Reactions: Mrbrock
F2AFB4D0-9525-4A7A-97CF-8F7938384BF1.jpeg

We were told they would honor all SR 7 seat orders and we held out. Today, the unicorn was delivered in Tampa. Hold out - they will eventually get there!

Thanks for that. Good to know the SR Y isn't quite the hatchet job the SR+ 3 is.
They really stripped the SR+. I’ve complained plenty about the lack of fog lights and the lousy sound system in the SR+ in the Model 3 forum. I would have certain posters telling me “You can’t expect to have everything the LR besides the range. There is a reason why the LR is priced at that point!”

Well, my SR MY came with all the bells and whistles minus the range. The sound system is a beaut. I’ve mentioned this before, the SR MY came out to be cheaper than my SR+. If they do bring back the SR MY, I think, they’re going to remove the premium audio and the other add one the LR has.

Reactions: flyingcasual