Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Model Y 7 seater waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The delivery team reached out to me this afternoon asking if I was able to take delivery today (instead of my scheduled appointment date of 4/26), of course I said yes!

Finally picked it up! No serious issues with the vehicle, just some scratches on the exterior paint which were fixed within 5-10 min. I would say build quality is much better than what was reported with the early MY's.

Reactions: jendegooze
Hi Everyone -
I canceled my reservation on a vw id.4 as I search around with my Tesla service advisor and I was able to find / have the opportunity to pick up a Model Y with this build:

Standard Range
White exterior
7 seater
20" induction wheels
Black Interior
Price - $44,990

Thoughts? Is this a good price at this point?
Thank you!
(PS this will be our 2nd Tesla - I currently own a 2018 LW RWD Model 3. It will be used for my wife's 40 miles round trip commute to work and the occasional (once a year) trips with family).

Hi Everyone -
I canceled my reservation on a vw id.4 as I search around with my Tesla service advisor and I was able to find / have the opportunity to pick up a Model Y with this build:

Standard Range
White exterior
7 seater
20" induction wheels
Black Interior
Price - $44,990

Thoughts? Is this a good price at this point?
Thank you!
(PS this will be our 2nd Tesla - I currently own a 2018 LW RWD Model 3. It will be used for my wife's 40 miles round trip commute to work and the occasional (once a year) trips with family).
Great price, that is basically what we all paid.

$39990 SR MY base + $3000 7 seat + $2000 induction == $44,990.
SR is not the best road-trip vehicle as you will need to charge more often, adding some time. Though it is only ~25% less range than the LR (which makes it not worth +$11000 more for me). But still plenty of range to get from SC to SC.

Reactions: Smand and DarrenHD

SR is not the best road-trip vehicle as you will need to charge more often, adding some time. Though it is only ~25% less range than the LR (which makes it not worth +$11000 more for me). But still plenty of range to get from SC to SC.
It really is insane that adding just a little bit more range is significantly more expensive. And look I understand.. the LR has faster performance + longer range + AWD.. but for someone who doesn't care about driving faster or AWD.. it is a ton of money to pay for really just a little bit more range.

I now have over 2,000 miles on my month old YSR. And from what I've found.. leaving the house everyday with 90% charge I got about 170-190 miles of real world range. Any driving that Im going to do on a daily basis would the exact same experience.. regardless of whether I was driving an SR or LR. Any driving beyond those numbers still isn't as much of a difference.. as the real world range of the LR is still only around 230-250 miles. Perfect example is going to visit my Dad.. who lives about 300 miles roundtrip from me. If I were going to visit him driving an SR.. I would have to charge up at least once. If I were going to visit him driving an LR.. I would still have to charge up at least once. Driving 300 roundtrip miles = no difference in travel time driving SR or LR.

Reality is I have enough range to drive for about 2.5 to 3 hours nonstop at highway speeds. And honestly thats probably right at the point where I was going to stop and pee anyways. I'm guessing someone with a LR could drive 3 to 4 hours at highway speeds.. which would shorten overall total travel time.. but also would really only be noticeable on trips of about 500 miles or more. As the SR would need to charge at least 3x to make that trip.. while the LR would need to charge up at least 2x. How many times are you realistically taking 500 mile trips in your car?

It really is insane that adding just a little bit more range is significantly more expensive. And look I understand.. the LR has faster performance + longer range + AWD.. but for someone who doesn't care about driving faster or AWD.. it is a ton of money to pay for really just a little bit more range.

I now have over 2,000 miles on my month old YSR. And from what I've found.. leaving the house everyday with 90% charge I got about 170-190 miles of real world range. Any driving that Im going to do on a daily basis would the exact same experience.. regardless of whether I was driving an SR or LR. Any driving beyond those numbers still isn't as much of a difference.. as the real world range of the LR is still only around 230-250 miles. Perfect example is going to visit my Dad.. who lives about 300 miles roundtrip from me. If I were going to visit him driving an SR.. I would have to charge up at least once. If I were going to visit him driving LR.. I would still have to charge up at least once.

Reality is I have enough range to drive for about 2.5 to 3 hours nonstop at highway speeds. And honestly thats probably right at the point where I was going to stop and pee anyways. I'm guessing someone with a LR could drive 3 to 4 hours at highway speeds.. which would have a shorten the total travel time.. but would really only be noticeable on trips of about 500 miles or more. As the SR would need to charge at least 3x to make that trip.. while the LR would need to charge up at least 2x. How many times are you realistically taking 500 mile trips in your car?
100% right. I would prefer RWD over AWD anyways (especially living in SoCal). It feels as if you can just whip it around :). I've read that the AWD just chews through tires? And the range stigma is totally overblown. I think the SR was pulled simply because of current battery constraints and it makes most sense to allocate cells to higher-profit LRs than SRs. 5.3s 0-60 (SR) vs 4.8s 0-60 (LR) is not a huge difference. Yes you can buy the acceleration boost for LR, which honestly would be nice, but SR will do for now. To each their own!

Reactions: Daekwan
Congrats! Post a pic!

Mine is en-route now for a morning delivery :)
Congrats! I got a call from my SA friday morning around 9am and he told me that there's a SR-Y 7 seater, pearl white, HOWEVER, with 20in Induction wheels, White Interior and NO hitch ... I took it , totally unplanned but it's the configuration I really wanted anyways. I just needed to install the Tow hitch later on ( hubby was mad about the Extra $3K costs and the no tow for a good 5 seconds and got over it) I picked it up same day and I have been loving it so far. A few easy mods have been done and a few more today =)

Reactions: bryan995
Congrats! I got a call from my SA friday morning around 9am and he told me that there's a SR-Y 7 seater, pearl white, HOWEVER, with 20in Induction wheels, White Interior and NO hitch ... I took it , totally unplanned but it's the configuration I really wanted anyways. I just needed to install the Tow hitch later on ( hubby was mad about the Extra $3K costs and the no tow for a good 5 seconds and got over it) I picked it up same day and I have been loving it so far. A few easy mods have been done and a few more today =)
Good call considering the tow hitch is what was only last want. You can get Tesla to install the OEM hitch anytime.. for $1200. So you essentially found the build you wanted.. and if you really want the tow hitch it will only cost you $200 more (the tow hitch option still cost $1000 if ordering new).

I was on the fence about the hitch.. as its something I really wanted. And got lucky to find a build with it. But if not.. I knew that it wasn't enough to hold me from purchasing.. as I could add it later for a pretty cheap penalty.

Reactions: jendegooze

Thanks for the reply!
Is there any reason to believe the 7 seater would not have the same safety standard as the 5 seater (not taking the 3rd row into account)? For instance, if we drive 95% of the time with the 3rd row down and only utilizing the 5 seats...would the safety standards be consistent with the normal 5 seater?

Thanks for the reply!
Is there any reason to believe the 7 seater would not have the same safety standard as the 5 seater (not taking the 3rd row into account)? For instance, if we drive 95% of the time with the 3rd row down and only utilizing the 5 seats...would the safety standards be consistent with the normal 5 seater?
Me and my husband just had this convo, is the Model Y pretty ‘safe’??

Good call considering the tow hitch is what was only last want. You can get Tesla to install the OEM hitch anytime.. for $1200. So you essentially found the build you wanted.. and if you really want the tow hitch it will only cost you $200 more (the tow hitch option still cost $1000 if ordering new).

I was on the fence about the hitch.. as its something I really wanted. And got lucky to find a build with it. But if not.. I knew that it wasn't enough to hold me from purchasing.. as I could add it later for a pretty cheap penalty.
I figured we have 2 other vehicles 🚗 with tow hitches for his MTB so no rush to get it :)
Overall happy with the car . A few minor panel gaps and door hinge issues we saw during inspection/ delivery all set and scheduled for service .

I see 2 x blue 7 seater in LA area.

Attachments

• 26FCFB7F-3184-408C-A345-62982640517F.png
    26FCFB7F-3184-408C-A345-62982640517F.png
    354 KB · Views: 49