Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Model Y Range issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi group.

I have a SR Model Y and a LR Model Y. Today I was surprised that my battery percentage dropped so quickly. I took a look at my metrics, and noticed that I charged to 80% this morning, and now the car is at 16%. I drove 90.5 miles and used 28kwh (305 wh/mi). The wh/mi is as I would expect. What's confusing me is that my battery percentage dropped by 64% yet I only used 28kwh. 28/.64=43.75 yet the SR is supposed to have a 60kwh battery. What am I missing here?

Did you have Cabin Overheat Protection set to ON while you were parked outside today? I have observed Cabin Overheat Protection use more than 6kWh in just over 8 hours. Any energy used while parked whether Cabin Overheat Protection or preconditioning before you drive will not show up in the Wh/mi stats.

Did to have Sentry Mode active where you were parked? Sentry Mode is a significant drain on the 12V system, requires more power from the battery.

I believe the usable capacity of the SR Model Y's battery is less than 60 kWh, ~54kWh comes to mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi group.

I have a SR Model Y and a LR Model Y. Today I was surprised that my battery percentage dropped so quickly. I took a look at my metrics, and noticed that I charged to 80% this morning, and now the car is at 16%. I drove 90.5 miles and used 28kwh (305 wh/mi). The wh/mi is as I would expect. What's confusing me is that my battery percentage dropped by 64% yet I only used 28kwh. 28/.64=43.75 yet the SR is supposed to have a 60kwh battery. What am I missing here?

As far as I know, SR battery is 53.6 kWh, not 60 for one thing.

Also, any energy used when the car is in park (pre-conditioning the car without it plugged in, sentry mode when it is sitting in a parking lot, cabin overheat protection etc) is not included in that 28 kWh of usage on your drive. So, if you used 6 kWh when the car wasn't moving then your consumption is as expected.

Keith

Hi group.

Probably that the whi/mi only shows energy driving, not energy used anywhere else (HVAC, sentry, etc etc)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
As far as I know, SR battery is 53.6 kWh, not 60 for one thing.

Also, any energy used when the car is in park (pre-conditioning the car without it plugged in, sentry mode when it is sitting in a parking lot, cabin overheat protection etc) is not included in that 28 kWh of usage on your drive. So, if you used 6 kWh when the car wasn't moving then your consumption is as expected.

Keith
I tried researching online for the battery specs on the SR, and best I can see is showing 60 kwh Tesla Model Y Standard Range Compared To Model Y Long Range & Other EVs

I charged the car overnight to 81 percent, and when I unplugged it this morning, I turned off sentry mode and cabin protect. My wife drove the car to work where it spent the day in an covered (but open) garage out of the sun. I just checked the numbers for the day. The car is now at 61 percent, and she drove 27.5 miles using 8kwh. So considering that she used 20 percent (1/5 of the battery capacity), I calculated 27.5 miles x 5 = 137.5 miles and 8kwh x 5 = 40 kwh. Something still seems amiss to me. While I definitely don't expect to get the SR quoted range of about 244 miles, this car doesn't seem capable of getting 140 miles. I'm charging my LR Model Y this evening, and I'll do a similar excercise tomorrow with sentry off and cabin protection off.

Reactions: jpy1980
The total battery capacity (when new) is 60 kWh. The usable battery capacity, as some have stated, is closer to 53 kWh. This is the same battery pack used in the SR+ Model 3, so you can look up battery capacity for the SR plus Model 3 for the data.

53.6 kWh / 0.305kWh/mile = a total expected range of ~175 miles.

Sorry in advance for all these questions but these do affect your driving efficiency:

What about tint treatment on the glass in the Model Y. Have you added any tint to the windows?

How do you have the HVAC set, i.e. preferred temperature, Recirculate Cabin Air. Do you use Auto HVAC or manually select AC and a preferred fan setting?

What wheels and tires are on your SR Model Y?

What is your tire pressure (measured cold in the A.M. before driving?

What color is the SR Model Y?

The total battery capacity (when new) is 60 kWh. The usable battery capacity, as some have stated, is closer to 53 kWh. This is the same battery pack used in the SR+ Model 3, so you can look up battery capacity for the SR plus Model 3 for the data.

Sorry in advance for all these questions but these do affect your driving efficiency:

What about tint treatment on the glass in the Model Y. Have you added any tint to the windows?

How do you have the HVAC set, i.e. preferred temperature, Recirculate Cabin Air. Do you use Auto HVAC or manually select AC and a preferred fan setting?

What wheels and tires are on your SR Model Y?

What is your tire pressure (measured cold in the A.M. before driving?

What color is the SR Model Y?
Firstly, thank you for your interest and taking the time to ask these questions.
The car is 100 percent standard from the factory (standard Model Y wheels and tires, no additional window tint). The car is blue. HVAC is set to 72 degrees, auto, recirculate is off. (Note, my wife drove to work at 7am yesterday and home from work at 5:30pm so she didn't drive in the heat of the day). Tire pressure cold is 38 psi.

Firstly, thank you for your interest and taking the time to ask these questions.
The car is 100 percent standard from the factory (standard Model Y wheels and tires, no additional window tint). The car is blue. HVAC is set to 72 degrees, auto, recirculate is off. (Note, my wife drove to work at 7am yesterday and home from work at 5:30pm so she didn't drive in the heat of the day). Tire pressure cold is 38 psi.
So to get the quoted range of 244 miles, one would need to get 0.22kwh/mile? Where does Tesla make up these numbers? Going down a mineshaft with the wind behind you?

Two observations:

Recirculate Cabin Air; If you turn this HVAC setting on while driving (especially during the daytime) the AC does not have to work as hard to cool the cabin. Estimated savings ~15 Wh/mile. (Note: You can use the Tesla Voice Commands to turn this feature on and off; Just press the Voice Command button on the steering wheel (the right scroll wheel) and say "Recirculate" and when you want to turn this setting off say "Fresh Air".) When you park I would suggest turning off Recirculate Cabin Air as it may help dry out the evaporator when this setting is off. (Note that when you park the Tesla the HVAC blower fan runs on a low/medium speed for 20 minutes to help dry out the evaporator.)

Tire Pressure; As shown on page 166 of the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, the recommended tire pressure can be found on the manufacturer's label on the B pillar next to the driver's door. Note: The Tesla Model Y is a heavy vehicle as requires extra load (XL) rated tires. XL tires require inflation to 41 to 42 PSI to meet their load rating.

At a minimum you should be setting the cold tire pressure to 42 PSI as measured in the A.M. before driving using an accurate tire pressure gauge (The Tesla TPMS is accurate to within 1 to 2 PSI so it is acceptable but not optimal for reading the cold tire pressure.) For better driving efficiency add 2 to 3 pounds above the recommended 42 PSI. (Maximum tire pressure is 51 PSI cold and setting the tire pressure to ~45 PSI is not dangerous over inflation of the tires. In fact most tire failures, i.e. blow outs, are caused by gross under inflation of the tires. This causes the tire to run much hotter than is normal and is a leading cause of tire failure. (Note: tire pressures are always specified cold, before the vehicle has been driven more than a short distance, i.e. a half mile and not sittiing in the sun.) Every PSI you add up to the recommended tire pressure or a few pounds over can add ~1% efficiency.

Tesla uses the combined City/Highway test data submitted to the EPA. This in no way represents real world driving conditions and is in fact a dynomommeter (dyno) test of the Tesla vehicle. To approximate the EPA test conditions you would have to drive at no more than 45 MPH, with no heat or AC on a flat road, perfectly dry with no head wind. The EPA test data is useful for comparing the efficiency of different Tesla vehicles.

Tinting the glass; you live in a desert. There are some very effective ceramic window tint treatments available. You would be more comfortable and use less AC if you tint the front windshield and the side windows, rear hatch glass. You can research the various tint options on TMC. (Note: Some choose to tint the Tesla Model Y glass roof but the laminated glass roof already is treated to transmit just 5% of the visible light and effectively filters out UV and IR (heat rays) from the sun.

An inexpensive sun shade ($50) can be easily installed and removed as needed. The sun shade may help reduce the interior temperature inside the passenger cabin. In my experience a sunshade helps to reduce the intensity of the sun on my head by diffusing the rays of the sun. The sun shade is my second favorite Tesla interior accessory after the floor liners.)

So to get the quoted range of 244 miles, one would need to get 0.22kwh/mile? Where does Tesla make up these numbers? Going down a mineshaft with the wind behind you?

I have an SR Y, I regularly get 220-230wh/mile on my commute to work. Driving 60mph on a flat road hits the "rated" line exactly.

Last two days driving around down I have been 190-210. 55mph + some traffic ..