Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR MY - Took Delivery Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally. I officially took delivery last week, but had to wait for it to be put on a boat from Honolulu over to the Big Island. Car was (is still) covered, and I MEAN COVERED in salt! The guy at the dock had to power spray my winshield just so I could see. Good news: no leaks :p

Panels look good except for the pasenger front door, which is not quite flush with the body when it's closed. I will have them try to adjust it. It's a lease, $420 per month (writeoff for my business) so I am not overly concerned.

Wore black cotton shorts and already have marks on the white seats.... sigh... I won't sweat it.

I am replacing a BMW 530e and have driven BMW's for 20+ years and I have to say, this MY is IMPRESSIVE. Even though it's only RWD, it has impressive acceleration and handles like my BMW (maybe even better). The trade winds here today are SUPER bad right (maybe 40+ mph) and the car does not get tossed around when driving through it. That's impressive and is one of the reasons I passed on the BMW i3 (well that and it also looks stupid) as one guy I know who has it says he doesn't feel safe driving it when the winds are bad.

Can't wash it until the winds get back down to normal, so here are some pictures of my salty girl. She looks big next to my husbands 3 series.

Attachments

• 20210301_105349.jpg
    20210301_105349.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210301_105322.jpg
    20210301_105322.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210301_105336.jpg
    20210301_105336.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 20210301_105312.jpg
    20210301_105312.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 113
SO.MUCH.STORAGE !!! When you live on the Big Island, you never know when Costco is going to run out of something. Each closet has 10' high celilings, with shelving all the way up. That's why my garage looks like you could eat off the floor.

When the armegeddon comes, I'll be ready.

Attachments

• 20210301_151329.jpg
    20210301_151329.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210301_151359.jpg
    20210301_151359.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: FlyTexas
SO.MUCH.STORAGE !!! When you live on the Big Island, you never know when Costco is going to run out of something. Each closet has 10' high celilings, with shelving all the way up. That's why my garage looks like you could eat off the floor.

When the armegeddon comes, I'll be ready.
Now I know where to go to for the next toilet paper shortage...lol

Congratulations! The car looks fantastic...I love driving my Model Y...

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
...Such a relatively small island it is just made for an EV.....

Big Island is roughly the size of Connecticut and is larger than the other Hawaiin islands combined.

OP: Congrats on nice looking Y. Exactly the same color combo of my 3 in NY and great for the 350 days of sun we have along the coast.. I'll keep my eyes out for you when I visit next in April.

Where are you on Kohala coast? My house is in Kohala Ranch. I originally planned to ship my 3 to BI when I retire permanently, but then I considered the SR Y, which would be fine for trips up and down West coast, but hesitated due to range concerns about driving over the mountain to get to Hilo or the Volcano..gotta play tour guide with guests, right? I see you have an ICE that could serve that purpose.

I decided to hold out for LR non AWD...if they ever make it. If they do not by the time I am ready to retire there permanently next year, maybe my early Cybertruck reservation will be in the money. Would love to hear about your SR ownership experience over the next months.

Also jealous of your garage storage. Gonna steal that idea for my garage, which also has a back wall with very high ceiling. Maybe I can reduce the Costco run to monthly.

Last edited:
Big Island is roughly the size of Connecticut and is larger than the other Hawaiin islands combined.

OP: Congrats on nice looking Y. Exactly the same color combo of my 3 in NY and great for the 350 days of sun we have along the coast.. I'll keep my eyes out for you when I visit next in April.

Where are you on Kohala coast? My house is in Kohala Ranch. I originally planned to ship my 3 to BI when I retire permanently, but then I considered the SR Y, which would be fine for trips up and down West coast, but hesitated due to range concerns about driving over the mountain to get to Hilo or the Volcano..gotta play tour guide with guests, right? I see you have an ICE that could serve that purpose.

I decided to hold out for LR non AWD...if they ever make it. If they do not by the time I am ready to retire there permanently next year, maybe my early Cybertruck reservation will be in the money. Would love to hear about your SR ownership experience over the next months.

Also jealous of your garage storage. Gonna steal that idea for my garage, which also has a back wall with very high ceiling. Maybe I can reduce the Costco run to monthly.

HEY!! I am in Mauna Kea Resort!!! Yes, the ICE as a backup was integral to the decision process.

I think I do need the fast charger. My friends just use the plug-in one, but I find it much too slow for me. My non-peak hours are during the day when I am generating solar power and sending to Helco, as opposed to evening when Helco (#$@#%) charges me back. So that's one consideration here. I will give it a week before I schedule the electrician to be sure.

I built those shelves myself!!! little hand saw, level, electric screwdriver, useless stud finder, some tunes and elbow grease. I couldn't bear to see those 10' ceilings in the closets go to waste. Was easy but it took like a month because Home Depot never had all of the materials (yay, Big Island supply chain distribution...) and I had to keep coming back.

After having the S and now the 3 I strongly recommend the Tesla wall connector for charging. I suppose you could wire up a dryer outlet but having the charger is so much nicer. I too have solar panels (also with Powerwalls) and may add some more just to charge the EV.

Finally. I officially took delivery last week, but had to wait for it to be put on a boat from Honolulu over to the Big Island. Car was (is still) covered, and I MEAN COVERED in salt! The guy at the dock had to power spray my winshield just so I could see. Good news: no leaks :p

Panels look good except for the pasenger front door, which is not quite flush with the body when it's closed. I will have them try to adjust it. It's a lease, $420 per month (writeoff for my business) so I am not overly concerned.

Wore black cotton shorts and already have marks on the white seats.... sigh... I won't sweat it.

I am replacing a BMW 530e and have driven BMW's for 20+ years and I have to say, this MY is IMPRESSIVE. Even though it's only RWD, it has impressive acceleration and handles like my BMW (maybe even better). The trade winds here today are SUPER bad right (maybe 40+ mph) and the car does not get tossed around when driving through it. That's impressive and is one of the reasons I passed on the BMW i3 (well that and it also looks stupid) as one guy I know who has it says he doesn't feel safe driving it when the winds are bad.

Can't wash it until the winds get back down to normal, so here are some pictures of my salty girl. She looks big next to my husbands 3 series.

Ahhh so pretty! Congrats! I'm glad it finally got to you - I remember seeing your other post about you seeing that it was located "on the water" lol. Just ordered my MYLR and hoping it gets here before I visit the big island in April!

Reactions: my808
Now I know where to go to for the next toilet paper shortage...lol

Congratulations! The car looks fantastic...I love driving my Model Y...
After having the S and now the 3 I strongly recommend the Tesla wall connector for charging. I suppose you could wire up a dryer outlet but having the charger is so much nicer. I too have solar panels (also with Powerwalls) and may add some more just to charge the EV.

Yes, I think you are right. It charges at like 6 miles per hour right now . :eek: Right now, it is full up (80%) with no plans to go anywhere but around the resort, but being a seasoned "Big Island Prepper" I really feel I need that full-on quick charge option. If I start the ball rolling with the electrician now, maybe I will have it installed in 3-6 months :p