Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR or MR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should Tesla release AWD with other smaller and cheaper battery configs? I think the AWD option will be important in overall sales in the Northeast and Midwest.

A large portion of the US thinks they need AWD. I am one of the handful of people in the area of the Midwest I live that I know who has winter tires. Whenever I bring up the winter tires after I hear a statement of "I don't want to drive because of the snow or ice" I always get the same response. "I don't need them I have AWD". < Stupid I know

Many Model Y buyers will be first time EV buyers and if you ask them to break too many of their irrational hang-ups it will be a deal breaker.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I think that are a lot fewer people wanting AWD than you may think. But, it is available.
The Tesla traction control supposedly does wonderful things and may reduce the need for AWD.
Few people even switch out tires anymore.

BTW, I doubt if we'll ever see a MR again.

It always amuses me large SUVs with 2WD on roadside putting on chains before chain control checkpoint but I guess people just like the look of SUV but do not want to pay the little extra for 4WD. But for your information, California has over 30 ski resorts and lots of people snowboard or ski. I am with you, I can never understand the purpose of getting a 2WD SUV, I was surprised Tesla even offer the Y with RWD, what they should have offered is longer range than 280 miles.

Reactions: iRia
I think am ready to become a 2 EV family with Model 3 and Y.
But we always keep at least one AWD vehicle in the stable for icy, snowy no school days.
Long range is not necessary but would like the range to be longer than 230 miles so that we can take the Model Y on road trips instead of my SR+.
MR AWD is what I would want if Tesla ever offers them.

I think am ready to become a 2 EV family with Model 3 and Y.
But we always keep at least one AWD vehicle in the stable for icy, snowy no school days.
Long range is not necessary but would like the range to be longer than 230 miles so that we can take the Model Y on road trips instead of my SR+.
MR AWD is what I would want if Tesla ever offers them.

If you're looking for 230 miles of real range, you're going to want a long range, particularly if you travel in cold weather.