Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR owners only (NOT SR+) What is your max range at 100% SOC?

SR- range at 100% SOC

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno, it could be temporary because of the cold, but here in BC it's usually around 5-10 degrees, we don't get real winters in my city, so I think the ~5% loss might just be normal degradation.
Hope it's temporary, if not I'm complaining in the summer.
Compared to you we're balmy here in AZ,CA but it did get to freezing last night.

My LR RWD is now showing 299 at 100%. After seeing only about 2% degradation after 1 year and 7,500 miles, I’m now seeing 8% total degradation just 4 months and 2,500 miles later. Hoping this is just a weird winter thing with temps ranging from about 30-50 over the past month or so. I’m now at 16 months and 10,000 miles into ownership.

Hope it's temporary, if not I'm complaining in the summer.
Compared to you we're balmy here in AZ,CA but it did get to freezing last night.
I should note for you yankees that 5-10 degrees C is like 40-50 degrees F. I was actually recently down in NV, CA, and AZ with my Model 3 for a road trip and the "Distance" display was showing a reduction similar to up here, even when the weather was a scorching 35C. I don't think weather affects the "Distance" display, which is just another reason I find it completely useless and stick with Percentage. Here in the winter using the heater I lose about 2-3 "kilometers" for every 1 actual kilometer driven!

I should note for you yankees that 5-10 degrees C is like 40-50 degrees F. I was actually recently down in NV, CA, and AZ with my Model 3 for a road trip and the "Distance" display was showing a reduction similar to up here, even when the weather was a scorching 35C. I don't think weather affects the "Distance" display, which is just another reason I find it completely useless and stick with Percentage. Here in the winter using the heater I lose about 2-3 "kilometers" for every 1 actual kilometer driven!

that seems insane. You say you are losing 50-66% of your distance?

The battery temperature definitely does. It’s not the only factor of course. And temperature is not the same as weather.
Are you sure about that? I haven't really noticed the "distance" change when I have almost no regen and the car is cold versus after the battery has had hours of hard use, assuming the same SoC. I'll have to do more tests. Temperature and weather both affect the real world range of the car, I've noticed rain is another thing that seems to give me a noticeable range hit, even though here the rainy days are the warmer ones in the winter.

that seems insane. You say you are losing 50-66% of your distance?
I think that is pretty standard for most EV's. Keep in mind I live in a very mountainous part of Canada where there is frequent downpours and weather that hits near freezing sometimes. I also admit that I drive with a moderately aggressive style and the occasional WOT. Honestly the Distance indicator being off by a factor of 2 is a good day for me. The other day I charged to 90% and the Energy Display showed 169km range based on my last 50km driven while the "Distance" measurment showed 328km. Quite the difference and yet I was happy to see that I'd gotten into the low 200 wh/km range finally! I think it was like 220 or 230 ish. Not sure the exact conversion to wh per mile, but multiply by 1.6 and you get the idea.

Are you sure about that?

Since I live in a generally warm place, I have just one personal experience to back it up. Parked at around 90%, extrapolating to 304 miles at 100%, and overnight lost 6 rated miles while retaining the same state of charge %. Car started really warm (coming up hill from Sedona), and was left in 35 degrees in Flagstaff overnight. I was watching my range carefully because I had a long road trip the next day (retaining miles in a Tesla is like herding cats). So my extrapolated 100% was at 298 or so in the chilly morning, then drove down to Yuma to 90 degree weather, and Supercharged to 304 miles that same day.

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
Since I live in a generally warm place, I have just one personal experience to back it up. Parked at around 90%, extrapolating to 304 miles at 100%, and overnight lost 6 rated miles while retaining the same state of charge %. Car started really warm (coming up hill from Sedona), and was left in 35 degrees in Flagstaff overnight. I was watching my range carefully because I had a long road trip the next day (retaining miles in a Tesla is like herding cats). So my extrapolated 100% was at 298 or so in the chilly morning, then drove down to Yuma to 90 degree weather, and Supercharged to 304 miles that same day.
Keep in mind that since there is no decimal place in the percentage display it is a lot less accurate for tracking phantom drain while parked than rated distance. I usually lose about 10-15km per day of being parked with Sentry off, but that isn't usually enough for the display to show a full percent lost. If I leave it two days then it gets to be enough where it ticks down a percentage for sure. Another interesting thing is if you leave the car plugged in, and it finishes charging, it will let the battery go down noticeably in SoC before it starts charging again automatically. I'm not sure exactly what the threshold is, but on my roadtrip through the US I'd often come out in the morning to find the car at 99% instead of the 100% I had set, or 89% instead of 90%. Agree that retaining miles in a Tesla is like herding cats!

Keep in mind that since there is no decimal place in the percentage display it is a lot less accurate for tracking phantom drain while parked than rated distance

True. Really you only have three miles resolution or so. But I lost 6 rated miles (it might have been 7). For a constant battery temperature, for a 300 mile battery, that would usually result in 2% change in SOC. I saw no change in the % (I was tracking both concurrently with Stats).

10-15km lost should definitely show a change in % - unless that loss is solely due to temperature, which means for the most part you actually had no loss (it’s just temporarily gone until the battery warms up again), so you’ll see no change in SoC - which was kind of my point. As the maximum reservoir size shrinks, so too does the energy contained within, proportionately. At least that’s what it looks like to me.

It’s exceedingly difficult to get a good handle on this behavior, of course, because the battery is always actually draining due to vampire. So a lot of times a 10-15km loss is chalked up to vampire drain. (You really should never have that much loss overnight.)

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? I haven't really noticed the "distance" change when I have almost no regen and the car is cold versus after the battery has had hours of hard use, assuming the same SoC. I'll have to do more tests. Temperature and weather both affect the real world range of the car, I've noticed rain is another thing that seems to give me a noticeable range hit, even though here the rainy days are the warmer ones in the winter.

I think that is pretty standard for most EV's. Keep in mind I live in a very mountainous part of Canada where there is frequent downpours and weather that hits near freezing sometimes. I also admit that I drive with a moderately aggressive style and the occasional WOT. Honestly the Distance indicator being off by a factor of 2 is a good day for me. The other day I charged to 90% and the Energy Display showed 169km range based on my last 50km driven while the "Distance" measurment showed 328km. Quite the difference and yet I was happy to see that I'd gotten into the low 200 wh/km range finally! I think it was like 220 or 230 ish. Not sure the exact conversion to wh per mile, but multiply by 1.6 and you get the idea.

crazy. I guess that makes sense based on temperatures and terrain. I’ve seen about 1/3 reduction in miles but I’m in WA state with hills and temps from 30-50 degrees F