Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ owners [what is your daily commute]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's ~40% of the pack you will use on a daily basis. I think charging daily will be necessary, and there's nothing wrong with that. Tesla recommends it. SR+ is a good fit for your commute. A few times a year, just bring the pack down to ~10% and charge up past 90% for BMS calibration and balancing.

Curious what everyone's daily commute is? I run 80 miles round trip. Do you charge daily or every other?

I plug into a 120 volt outlet whenever I’m home, and that works only because I rarely drive more than 70 miles in a day. And by the time I do drive more than 70 miles, I will be on a road trip and using chargers out in the wild. I’m still trying to work out if the 120 volt outlet will hurt me as far as not being able to get all my charging done during the cheapest power hours of the night. My first post SR+ purchase power bill will be arriving in a couple of weeks…

Reactions: XPsionic
Just a note that the thread on "range, battery health, etc" is here:

I dont mind this thread being separate because "how long is your commute" is a separate question, however, what normally happens is people start talking about range lost, etc. any posts on that part of this should be made in the above thread.

Thanks

Reactions: t2express
I understand..my curiosity was really if I bought the correct model. Coming from an ICE, the norm for refueling is more miles. Didn't know if my commute was more suited for the LR, or if this is normal to "refuel/charge" daily

I understand..my curiosity was really if I bought the correct model. Coming from an ICE, the norm for refueling is more miles. Didn't know if my commute was more suited for the LR, or if this is normal to "refuel/charge" daily

Well, given that you have charging at both home and work, if your normal commute is home and work and "around town" then it sounds like you have the right model.

FWIW, I have a model 3 performance (2018 model year). My commute is also 80 "real miles" round trip to work and back. I have worked in the same place for 15 years, and have commuted from my current home there since 2013. Point of mentioning that is, I am familiar with the commute, what it looks like, traffic flow, etc etc.

My "80 real miles" from my garage to work and back, takes anywhere from 80 "tesla miles" to 140 "tesla miles" with "tesla miles" being " mileage from cars battery range meter."

The variance depends on time of year, weather (rain makes a HUGE difference for example), whether I need to run the heat in the winter (southern california doesnt have a real winter like other places, but where i live it can get down to high 30s during the coldest winter nights, and my commute can start in the low 40s so I still use the heater then).

Even on the worst days, its 140 tesla miles, and my car has a current 90% capacity mileage show of 260 miles, and, like you, I can choose to charge at work if I want (although work charging isnt free, and in fact cost me more than home since I have solar).

My point of that is not to talk about range (to admonish myself on what I posted above, lmao), but to say that, even if I had a SR+ this commute, with those miles would be perfectly fine, knowing what I know now. I still would have bought the performance model though, as I like fast cars.

I believe that because you have home and work charging, if thats your normal commute, you will never end up in a situation where it will be even a small deal for you for that commute. There isnt any reason to NOT plug in daily though, its not like a cellphone where you want to run it down before you charge up (and on that note, I will again admonish myself based on what I said above about range discussions).

Welcome to owning an EV, where "refueling" daily is the norm.

The SR+ is fine for your job commute, in fact, for most people as well. Unless your job primary involves with driving to clients/etc or occasional long distance driving to job sites, if your daily commute to work and back home is longer than the range of the SR+, you don't need a LR, you need to move.

After owning the job for a while, I am very glad that I will never have to go to a gas station again. I just go home, plug my car, and let it do its thing and have a full charge in the morning.

My weekly commute is that much (I have a 2021 SR+). Yeah, a daily charge is enough for that short a commute probably even with 120V (if you include weekend top ups). 120V gives 5-6mph so it'll take about 13-16 hours to charge 80 miles indicated range (although in real world you'll use more). It's better for the battery not to cycle it as deep, so a daily charge helps avoid that. The car will automatically suggest charging less than full (it defaults to 90%) to reduce impact. If you have a 240V plug and work charging, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Also, you can look up superchargers and destination chargers here along the route you commute. That will give you a nice Plan B or C in case you have sudden trips.
Find Us | Tesla
The car comes with a J1772 adapter which you can also use for other stations (which you can find on Plugshare).
There may be CCS adapter that may be coming out soon also to give even more options. A CHAdeMO adapter also exists, but it's not on the store anymore and costs quite a bit, so probably not worth it as CHAdeMO is being phased out.

I have a 14 mile daily commute, 5 to 6 days per week. Right now I'm planning to stay with the 110 volts because it only requires one overnight charge per week. I'm thinking if it's charging while I sleep, what does it matter if it takes a couple of hours or 12. I just got my SR+ yesterday and did my first charge last night the with mobile charger, it stayed at a consistent 6 mile per hour charge at 12A.

I have a 14 mile daily commute, 5 to 6 days per week. Right now I'm planning to stay with the 110 volts because it only requires one overnight charge per week. I'm thinking if it's charging while I sleep, what does it matter if it takes a couple of hours or 12. I just got my SR+ yesterday and did my first charge last night the with mobile charger, it stayed at a consistent 6 mile per hour charge at 12A.
When I first got my car, I was using the 110v outlet as well, and was only expecting to see 3-4 mph charge. Hitting 6 was a pleasant surprise, as it was double what I expected. You can easily use the 110v outlet in your, or my, use case. I only got the 15-40 because I have solar and it was only $250 to have the outlet installed. A no brainer decision for me.