Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR price reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20210217-234433_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210217-234433_Chrome.jpg

What was the price before?
Original price of the Standard Range RWD Model Y at introduction was $41,990 US.

Just my conjecture but maybe Tesla is getting ready to release the Long Range RWD Model Y at a price somewhere in the middle; ~$5k below the Long Range AWD Model Y and ~$5k above the price of the Standard Range RWD Model Y.

Last edited:
Yup already took delivery. Wow this already is stacked on top of the FOMO of the potential $7000 tax credit. Horrible timing. Anyone think there will be a resolution? I mean i would take 30,000 free supercharging miles, but if there's no resolution that sucks
From previous history Tesla does not provide any compensation for price drops after you take delivery (same way they can't go back and take more money from you if they raise prices after you take delivery). If you were pending delivery however, something can usually be worked out.

Yup already took delivery. Wow this already is stacked on top of the FOMO of the potential $7000 tax credit. Horrible timing. Anyone think there will be a resolution? I mean i would take 30,000 free supercharging miles, but if there's no resolution that sucks

I'd make nose about it with anyone that will listen and keys hope that 7K tax credit is good for all of 2021.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and hnguy054
Yeah i just think its crazy that you launch a Model Y SR and within 45 days the price drops. I would understand if there was a 2020 version, but essentially thousands are SOL because they decided to become early adopters of the new model/version

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
It's been that price for awhile now.... well at least since this past weekend when I started looking at Model Y's and decided to sell my Model 3 to get one. Still, it's a good price considering my Model 3 SR+ just 10 months ago was the same $39,990 price before I paid extra for the MSM paint (I just checked my order agreement to confirm the 'base' price).

My only concern would be if Elon/Tesla decides to pull back some of the 'premium' stuff that's found on both SR and LR Model Y cars, like they did to Model 3 SR+ owners. Originally the pre-2020 Model 3 SR+ had the same hardware as the LR so people got to enjoy the extras at a cheaper price. Then in late 2019, Tesla software-disabled existing customer SR+ cars and removed the foglight switch, disabled the premium audio speakers and the sub, and removed the rear heated seats (which you had to pay $300 to get back).

While there's a chance that might not ever happen, it would suck to find out later if Tesla did decide to disable some premium items that you've grown accustomed to.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Yeah i just think its crazy that you launch a Model Y SR and within 45 days the price drops. I would understand if there was a 2020 version, but essentially thousands are SOL because they decided to become early adopters of the new model/version

I mean they did the same thing to the LR AWD that was originally $52k?... Tesla has done this now for every new release. It seems like they lower the price once the new order starts slowing down.

• Informative
Reactions: hnguy054