Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Range Question - Advice from current owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We placed an order for an SR+ shortly after the announcement, as we'd been shopping other EVs (Bolts, etc) and the range is in line with what we typically use in extreme cases. We live in rural CO, but also have a Subaru Outback that does long range family hauling/towing duties. The 'extreme' use case for the model 3 is a trip to the airport and back on occasion (166mi one way) if I'm traveling without the family. There's a supercharger very near the airport. Usual use case is <40miles a day, so hauling extra battery around doesn't seem to make much sense.

Typically we typical meet or exceed rated MPG on the ICE vehicles without trying. Speeds are 60-70mph cruising. Is a 166mi occasional trip going to be too tight? Given the typical wh/mile Model 3 folks get it seems that we'll have some headroom to hit the supercharger, but I'm now wondering if the MR isn't the better fit?

Yes. You don’t want to cut it too tight for 2 reasons: (1) range anxiety and (2) potential long-term damage to the battery by running it close to empty. The guidance has always been to avoid the extremes on battery charging - rarely charge to 100%, rarely let it go below 10%.

Reactions: linkster
Yep, If you want to comfortably travel 166 miles in good weather, you need a car with 241 miles of rated range.
That's 166+20% for safety/mental cushion, +10% for battery degredation, +10% for wind and AC = 166*1.2*1.1*1.1=241 miles

For winter weather, multiply that number by 1.3, for a total range of 313 miles.

So for year-round use without range anxiety, you need the long range battery.

That's my advice as a 2-Tesla owner.

Our 1 year old X75D got about the same range as the 240 miles SR+ M3. Yesterday we charged to 100% and drove 143 miles round trip. When we got home, we have 46 miles left on the gauge. It was around 58 outside yesterday here in SoCal and we didn't turn on any seat heaters. Inside temp was set at 68 degree. Our trip was downhill going there and uphill coming back.

One of your one-way 166 miles airport drive will be more uphill than downhill. You will be cutting very close for that trip especially if the uphill trip is with passengers and luggage.

Thanks for the responses. Since I didn't have a VIN yet I changed my order to a MR RWD. The headroom will be nice for the airport trips, as there really aren't bail out options between here and there! I'm less concerned about winter range, as we'll be taking the Outback in the winter (and likely we'll take the Outback if we're taking the kids, just due to luggage capacity).

Go look at ev trip planner or a better route planner and put in the trips you're worried about. They won't have the SR+ model yet, but the rated miles used for the 3LR should give you a decent idea, and you can run a bunch of different assumptions for weather and load and see.

The SR+ can certainly do the trip, but I'm not sure if you'll have to slow down or reduce climates control in extreme weather to do it. More range has never been as cheap as it is now (but it may get cheaper in the future.)

Thanks for the responses. Since I didn't have a VIN yet I changed my order to a MR RWD. The headroom will be nice for the airport trips, as there really aren't bail out options between here and there! I'm less concerned about winter range, as we'll be taking the Outback in the winter (and likely we'll take the Outback if we're taking the kids, just due to luggage capacity).

Good choice. You'll never regret going larger on battery. If only money grew on trees. :D

If you are going up the mountain one way ... then range will be 30% less than rated ... maybe more ... and in sub zero conditions you can subtract another 30% perhaps. Rain, winds and speeds above 65 will also impact rated range. So 166 mi might not be possible in one shot. If there is a supercharger half way - for a top-up - then no issue.

Typically we typical meet or exceed rated MPG on the ICE vehicles without trying. Speeds are 60-70mph cruising. Is a 166mi occasional trip going to be too tight? Given the typical wh/mile Model 3 folks get it seems that we'll have some headroom to hit the supercharger, but I'm now wondering if the MR isn't the better fit?
I would recommend watching Bjørn Nyland's latest video: "$35k Model 3 is here", there is a good demo for using the supercharge.info map.

Good choice. You'll never regret going larger on battery. If only money grew on trees. :D

Then I'd have ordered the Performance!

If you are going up the mountain one way ... then range will be 30% less than rated ... maybe more ... and in sub zero conditions you can subtract another 30% perhaps. Rain, winds and speeds above 65 will also impact rated range. So 166 mi might not be possible in one shot. If there is a supercharger half way - for a top-up - then no issue.

My experience in ICE vehicles is that we do better than on a level road at sea level. Because elevation. I assume the lower drag translates to EV...it'll be interesting to see.

On the plus side, there are currently 11 more supercharging locations planned for Colorado. Perhaps you'll have more charging options in the next couple of years.

I've been watching those. Hopefully they get installed in the next few years. The longer term idea is to eventually replace my wife's Outback with an EV truck/SUV as the primary family hauler, but for now the infrastructure is too spotty to go full EV.

Reactions: SSonnentag
Since you are in Colorado this spreadsheet that I put together might help you making a decision from a value perspective. Couple of things to note:

- I assumed the SR and SR+ have the same battery pack and the SR is only software limited thus can be charged fully and can be driven down to 10% SoC. Other models will be used from 90% down to 10% leaving a regularly usable 80% capacity.

- For worst case scenario calculation, I assumed you will lose 40% of your regularly available range due to cold, snow etc.

- These numbers only take range into consideration but obviously higher trim levels get more interior features, faster 0-60 times. LR gets longer battery warranty and faster charging speed as well.

- Loan amount is based on 7.5% sales tax and takes out the $2,500 deposit due at ordering

- I am assuming you can claim full federal and state tax credits.

upload_2019-3-4_10-56-25.png

The basic takeaway is either get the LR RWD if you want to get the best value for your money and obviously if you can afford it or just stick with the SR. Again I am somewhat oversimplifying things but looking at the numbers this way at least is helping me with my decision making process...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
We’re in the mountains, but in very bad conditions would take the Subaru. It isn’t often that we need to take both cars up the mountain in blizzard conditions.

The Tesla is replacing my Mazda 3 hatch that I’ve had for ten years. 2wd with snow tires is VERY capable. I actually prefer taking the 2wd because I get more of a feel for traction before there’s none. The Subaru is sometimes too good in that you don’t know how slippery the surface is until you’re sliding.

Don’t get me wrong...money no object I’d go for LR AWD. I’m just trying to keep the price reasonably low, and snow tires are a lot cheaper than AWD.

The basic takeaway is either get the LR RWD if you want to get the best value for your money and obviously if you can afford it or just stick with the SR. Again I am somewhat oversimplifying things but looking at the numbers this way at least is helping me with my decision making process...

Thanks, that’s a very informative breakdown. Do you have a 3 yet? Curious if you’re achieving better than average efficiency in the high country.

Different people get different range.

As you drive, your display will show you how much battery you will have left when you return to your starting point of destination. You can use this information en route to determine if you can make it all the way, or if a quick stop at the Supercharger will be prudent.

If you are driving too fast to make your destination, your display will ask you to slow down to make it.

It is really a pretty clever car.

Reactions: Saghost
For that airport run, IMO you'd probably be happier/more comfortable with a LR. My Model 3P's range is about 210 miles when temps are in the teens and 20s, vs a rated 310 miles. Approximately the same percentage loss will apply to any Model 3 in those temps.

Just my $0.02, and no, I don't want to debate with anyone about a few percentage points here or there... :D

Since you are in Colorado this spreadsheet that I put together might help you making a decision from a value perspective.
The basic takeaway is either get the LR RWD if you want to get the best value for your money ....
Woo! Quite impressing analysis.

Looking at those number, especially if you are taking a loan, for not that much on each monthly payment, getting the LR really make sense.

(Just spend we minutes in the morning to prepare a snack for your lunch to save so money and avoid those costly restaurant bills : )

The battery is really the MOST critical component of any EV. If you plan keeping your car, get the biggest battery you can afford.

I beleive that the SR battery is about 55 kWh and the LR is about 75 kWh.

In few years, I imagine that the SR will be 75 kWh and the LR 100 kWh, look what happen with the Model S LR 40 kWh / 60 kWh / 75 kWh.