Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ range seems to be 200 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the SR+ for less than a month. My daily commute round trip is exactly 100 miles. Percentage of battery use is pretty much exactly 50%. That translates to 200 mile range. I thought I was getting 240 mile range or 250? Otherwise car is flawless. Maybe need to look at why the screen shows air bag disconnected when my wife is in the passenger seat.

The EPA range is calculated using a formula, but realistically, you can expect to achieve the rated range under the most favorable conditions only. (65 mph, temp over 50F, no climate control running) I get 60-80% of rated range when commuting, about 90% during long highway travel.

I'll try not using hvac and see if it varies. I'm here in California weather not that extreme. So not really using anything too much. Going to work 26% of battery coming back 23%. So work must be uphill from home. But no really steep climbing.

If this is the best the SR+ battery can do I'm ok with that. But did I get a not so good battery?
Commute is highway driving. I'll try sticking to 65 mph. But that's pretty much max speed for me. Going to work no traffic coming home some bottlenecks.

Last edited:
I'll try not using hvac and see if it varies. I'm here in California weather not that extreme. So not really using anything too much. Going to work 26% of battery coming back 23%. So work must be uphill from home. But no really steep climbing.

If this is the best the SR+ battery can do I'm ok with that. But did I get a not so good battery?
Commute is highway driving. I'll try sticking to 65 mph. But that's pretty much max speed for me. Going to work no traffic coming home some bottlenecks.

So am I.. southern california, actually. I have a model 3P that I picked up almost exactly a year ago in december of 2018. From december to about the end of february, beginning of march, my kW usage was 300-310 on my lifetime trip meter. I put about 17.5k miles per year on my car, commuting to work, so it was not a small sample size.

As the weather warmed up, my kw usage dropped. Before december of this year, my lifetime usage had dropped from 300-310, down to 265.

The SAME daily commute that, right now costs me 310 kW usage now, with HVAC set to 68, AC off, and no heated seats (with temperature in the high 40s low 50s when I start my commute in the morning) cost me 230 kW in april and may.

Translation / TL ; DR? Yes, the weather here in california does "matter", even if its not snowing where you are.

Translation 2: There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with your battery. You will get better driving it so probably see better usage when the weather warms up, but for now, that usage is extremely, predictably, normal.

I have the SR+ for less than a month. My daily commute round trip is exactly 100 miles. Percentage of battery use is pretty much exactly 50%. That translates to 200 mile range. I thought I was getting 240 mile range or 250? Otherwise car is flawless. Maybe need to look at why the screen shows air bag disconnected when my wife is in the passenger seat.

Sounds like you are averaging about 245Wh/mi round trip, and if so, it all makes sense. Try getting 209Wh/mi and see how you do (turn off HVAC completely, drive more slowly (keep it below 55mph) or draft off of people). Minimize use of regen and brakes.

SR+ owner here. in under 10k miles my current lifetime wh/mi is ~255. this is with winter driving, HVAC, heated seats and pretty much driving it how i want. i currently see 300+ wh/mi throughout my commute. 400+ if my commute is shorter. i'm trying to learn to live with the "smaller" battery and curb my expectations.

having a 240V at home helps. having a brewery with a free tesla charger is nice as well.

if i get around 240 wh/mi i'm happy. i rarely see anything much lower than that.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess battery ok. Going to work early morning theres hardly any traffic so I am speeding 70+ mph part of the way. While coming home there’s traffic so I’m going 60 most of the time.
Today came to work with no havc and slower speed and used about 22% battery
So 44% battery usage for 100 miles is around 227 range.

When I first got the car I was getting about 280 wh/mi on my mid-range or about 220 mile on a car that is supposed to get 262 miles. That is about what you are getting now on SR+. Ever since I've adopted certain habits to keep the consumption low and have gotten my lifetime wh/mi to 234 wh/mi or 265 rame. I doubted this at one point but this is right on... one road trip I was able to go 245 miles 100% to 10%, 75 mph all on freeway. Some habits I adopted...

keep in on chill driving mode
keep your Aero's on
drive no more than 70-75 mph
keep it on autopilot as much as you can
Park your car on shady area during summer and indoors in winter, turn off sentry... minimizes vampire drain
Set your temp to 68 and when it gets real cold, turn off HVAC and use heated seats.

Worse things for consumption is aggressive acceleration, using heater and driving in wind.

Maybe need to look at why the screen shows air bag disconnected when my wife is in the passenger seat.

Air bag is only activated when a passenger is sitting in the seat, so this suggests that the air bag is disconnected. Definitely something to look into. It's probably a mobile service fix - I'd be tempted to look under the dash to see the yellow harness they forgot to plug in assuming it is that airbag, if they're insisting on a service center visit (must avoid at all costs). If it's the seat airbag it might be easier to plug in. Though I suppose there is some minuscule possibility the airbag would go off when you plugged it in (I would think they work VERY hard to make sure this does not happen). YMMV. Could also be a bad harness contact of course, which would be harder to fix.

Anyway, probably airbag is considerably more important than your range. When your battery loses 5-10% capacity just remember you'll be using more like 55% for the same commute.