Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not getting the range I'd expect from my SR+, now 500 miles of driving in and my regular 'mix' is about 50% motorway at 70% and 20% A roads.

Just got connect to TeslaFi - and will have more info on this soon - but I'm looking at using around 60 miles of 'range' for a 45 mile trip - no matter how gently I drive, play with the heater etc.

Only slightly different on the run in this morning at 4 degrees, vs the last few at around 16 degrees.

What are others seeing?

I'm getting lifetime Wh/mile of about 241.

My temp efficiency looks like:
Temp efficiency.PNG

I'm more perturbed by estimated 100% range:
FusionCharts (1).jpg

I'm not getting the range I'd expect from my SR+, now 500 miles of driving in and my regular 'mix' is about 50% motorway at 70% and 20% A roads.

Just got connect to TeslaFi - and will have more info on this soon - but I'm looking at using around 60 miles of 'range' for a 45 mile trip - no matter how gently I drive, play with the heater etc.

Only slightly different on the run in this morning at 4 degrees, vs the last few at around 16 degrees.

What are others seeing?

Your 75% efficiency seems right with this cold weather to what I’m getting on average with my trip this morning of 38miles

I've noticed a significant difference now we've got colder temps.

If possible, I'd suggest pre-heating the battery before the morning drive - I'm no expert so there maybe other methods but you can do this by scheduling your charge start time during the night so it finishes charging just before your daily commute. Alternatively, using the ev.energy app (used with Rolec chargers) you can enable a setting called 'keep battery warm' which means it's ensure smart charging will run in the hour before the required time. This morning I scheduled HVAC to come on using TeslaFi in the last charging hour so I didn't take a range hit and achieved a 83% efficiency on my 30 mile commute instead of 67% the day before (was actually colder outside this morning).

• Informative
Reactions: TestPilot
I’m finding the range hit over actual miles driven is around 15 miles on most of my trips.

Yes - me too
I've noticed a significant difference now we've got colder temps.

If possible, I'd suggest pre-heating the battery before the morning drive - I'm no expert so there maybe other methods but you can do this by scheduling your charge start time during the night so it finishes charging just before your daily commute. Alternatively, using the ev.energy app (used with Rolec chargers) you can enable a setting called 'keep battery warm' which means it's ensure smart charging will run in the hour before the required time. This morning I scheduled HVAC to come on using TeslaFi in the last charging hour so I didn't take a range hit and achieved a 83% efficiency on my 30 mile commute instead of 67% the day before (was actually colder outside this morning).

I've noticed this make a difference to me too - as my commute is regular, I can set the charge to start in the early hours, so it finishes a few minutes before I need to jump in. Also gave it 10 minutes of climate warm up before I set off this morning. I like the idea being able to automate that somewhat with the Rolec - right now the Pod Point app is hopeless (although the service and gadget are great!)

The graph is quite misleading. It’s not zero based, the difference is only ~4 miles
Sure I know, but the rated miles should be 240, and the rated miles reported by the car should be based on the power output of the battery, not based on past driving or habits.

So at 223 (lowest), I'm getting a rated range of 93% of what it *should* be. I'm not saying this is bad, but I'd be interested to see what other SR+ owners are seeing at around 2k miles.

As a point of reference, my colleague who has about 400 on his has around 236 estimate at 100%.

The difference is 8 miles though, not 4 :p

Last edited:
Only 500 miles in on my SR+

I did 135 mile round trip the other day - mainly M/A Roads - 67.5 miles on the road each way - 81.2 rated miles (83% efficiency)

34% battery used each way - So based on that approx 202 miles real world versus 243 rate miles in car.

My 100% rage is estimated to be 237 miles but in the real world that will be 200 probably.

I ain't bothered about the stats- switch the battery to show % and just forget about it. So long as the car gets me from A to B and back again....I really don't care about the numbers/rated mile/efficiency etc

You'll drive yourself nuts - there is FAR to many variables involved.

Temp / traffic / driving style / passengers / excess load / weight / heating / music/ bluetooth / software version/ tyre PSI / roads etc etc.

Just drive the car and enjoy it - nothing else really matters.

I did 135 mile round trip the other day - mainly M/A Roads - 67.5 miles on the road each way - 81.2 rated miles (83% efficiency)

34% battery used each way - So based on that approx 202 miles real world versus 243 rate miles in car.

My 100% rage is estimated to be 237 miles but in the real world that will be 200 probably.

I ain't bothered about the stats- switch the battery to show % and just forget about it. So long as the car gets me from A to B and back again....I really don't care about the numbers/rated mile/efficiency etc

Temp / traffic / driving style / passengers / excess load / weight / heating / music/ bluetooth / software version/ tyre PSI / roads etc etc.

How do I switch the battery to show %? - That's exactly what I need! And already come to the 'enjoy it' conclusion too :)

Reactions: Grob103 and CMc1

I do have it on percent, and totally agree. However, the only number I am interested in otherwise is the 100% rated miles change over time, because that's actual battery degradation, which IMO you *should* keep track of for battery warranty reasons.

Reactions: davidmc
As above - has anyone ever questioned the combined MPG of a car?? No, it was just accepted and people drove how they wanted as the ability to "fillup" was easy.

"Range anxiety" has gone now that I use the % instead of miles. Drove 110 miles yesterday, stopped for lunch at a lovely hotel carpark with a 50kw charger. Whilst eating sandwich and 2 phone calls, it charged from 60 to 90% - I didn't need to charge it for my journey but why not get some free charge whilst on route.

Reactions: Sherlo
All this said, it is an exciting new world, and there's really nothing wrong with comparing experiences as we venture forth.

I don't totally buy the "You wouldn't question it with an ICE car, so why question it with an EV" mentality. Most people don't question the fact that their ICE car runs on lots of controlled explosions, you'd certainly question your EV if it was doing that.

We are getting efficiencies far below what even abetterrouteplanner.com estimates for even worse temperature and road conditions.

I did two trips late last night (so no traffic) at 65mph to/from Fleet Supercharger from M3 J4, Teslafi logged 328 Wh/Mile (LR AWD) both ways. Coming back was shorter distance and I do not believe I had any heat on, although TeslaFi recons the fan started running after a few miles.

On way out, battery was pre conditioning. Planning in ABRP against actual return journey, I put min recorded temp (4.5C, actually averaged 5.5) into ABRP but I cannot get worse than 308Wh/mile, thats headwind and 10% reduction for rain which it was not as it was dry and no headwind. If I put in actual conditions, ABRP recons 286Wh/mile. So ABRP is 13% more optimistic than actual and that is with ABRP being recognised as being slightly pessimistic.

I've not tracked down any correlation to what may be causing this. I followed the car this morning over a 19 mile trip, 30 miles used, 350Wh/mile. Car was pre conditioned, so Wh/mile is only driving, not warming the car up. Easy trip, some time spent in queues. Nothing as a driver I would say felt unusual. Got 350Wh/mile, as planned 244Wh/mile with worse conditions than actual. 85% down to 75% battery. Tesla navigation didn't even plan that much range drop it reckoned arrival with approx 79%. Looks like we are not achieving the estimates that both ABRP and Tesla sat nav are predicting.

Not helped by no way to home charge at the moment, so living off superchargers.

As above - has anyone ever questioned the combined MPG of a car?? No, it was just accepted and people drove how they wanted as the ability to "fillup" was easy.

"Range anxiety" has gone now that I use the % instead of miles. Drove 110 miles yesterday, stopped for lunch at a lovely hotel carpark with a 50kw charger. Whilst eating sandwich and 2 phone calls, it charged from 60 to 90% - I didn't need to charge it for my journey but why not get some free charge whilst on route.

I didn't realise a 50kw charger would charge so quickly!

Reactions: davidmc