Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ rated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New SR+ owner about 2 weeks in here.

When I took the delivery of the car, they charged it to 100% with 234 miles.
Since the delivery, I've been consistently getting 211 miles with 90% charge and 199 with 85% charge. Seems pretty consistently with -5 miles range than the rated 240. Yes, it is not a huge difference, but brand new car and 5 mile range drop/difference is kinda not a greatest thing considering I havent hit the battery degradation yet.

Talked to the Tesla chat and was asked to do "power cycle" which he meant...turn car off and wait 5 min and turn it on....idk what it does bc I do that all the time? lol He also told me to schedule an appointment.

Anyone with SR+ showing 5+ mile different calculated mile?
Is running down the battery to 20% and charging going to help?
Or should I take it to SC? just thought that was little to excessive given its just 5 mile rated range difference.

Thanks!

Since the delivery, I've been consistently getting 211 miles with 90% charge and 199 with 85% charge. Seems pretty consistently with -5 miles range than the rated 240. Yes, it is not a huge difference, but brand new car and 5 mile range drop/difference is kinda not a greatest thing considering I havent hit the battery degradation yet.

Talked to the Tesla chat and was asked to do "power cycle" which he meant...turn car off and wait 5 min and turn it on....idk what it does bc I do that all the time? lol He also told me to schedule an appointment.

Or should I take it to SC? just thought that was little to excessive given its just 5 mile rated range difference.

Thanks!

I have the exact same issue. Sine the day of delivery my 100% range is 235 exactly. 90% is 211. One other person that I have heard from has the same issue. I have gone below 20% twice but it didn’t calibrate the battery back to 240. I did notice, however, that once at low SOC, (below 30%) the percentage matched the 240 limit. So from 30% and below it reflected a 240 range but after charging back to 90%, it was still 211.

Please let us know the outcome of your SC visit. I haven’t been yet as my closest SC is 3 hours away.

Thanks!

I don’t have an SR+.

You can try discharging to a relatively low % and recharging to rebalance, but I would avoid the SC and not worry about this. It will probably be addressed in a software update at some point - it may be that their SoC estimation for the SR+ still needs some work for some cars. You have plenty of time to address this if it turns out to be a real problem.

Just drive the car and put this on the back burner. It sounds like there are other people with the same issue which is why I suspect it might just fix itself at some point.

There have been multiple instances of the max range on the LRs changing with software updates. Sometimes up, sometimes down. And it doesn’t always seem to affect all vehicles.

I have the exact same issue. Sine the day of delivery my 100% range is 235 exactly. 90% is 211. One other person that I have heard from has the same issue. I have gone below 20% twice but it didn’t calibrate the battery back to 240. I did notice, however, that once at low SOC, (below 30%) the percentage matched the 240 limit. So from 30% and below it reflected a 240 range but after charging back to 90%, it was still 211.

Please let us know the outcome of your SC visit. I haven’t been yet as my closest SC is 3 hours away.

The lowest I ran my battery was 49% so I guess I have never done "power cycle balance". I will keep an eye on it to see if it persists tho. I was just curious because others on Youtube with SR+ seem to get rated range just fine. I mean its just 5 miles at the end of the day. I have not yet set the service appointment but I will keep monitoring it update!

I don’t have an SR+.

You can try discharging to a relatively low % and recharging to rebalance, but I would avoid the SC and not worry about this. It will probably be addressed in a software update at some point - it may be that their SoC estimation for the SR+ still needs some work for some cars. You have plenty of time to address this if it turns out to be a real problem.

Just drive the car and put this on the back burner. It sounds like there are other people with the same issue which is why I suspect it might just fix itself at some point.

There have been multiple instances of the max range on the LRs changing with software updates. Sometimes up, sometimes down. And it doesn’t always seem to affect all vehicles.

Yeah that is kind of what I am hoping with the software update. I am running the latest one at the moment tho. As you mentioned I think visit to the SC might be little excessive for this and will continue to monitor to see if the issues persists. Does your model get full rated calculated miles displayed?

Yes, it is not a huge difference, but brand new car and 5 mile range drop/difference is kinda not a greatest thing considering I havent hit the battery degradation yet.
This has been brought up every week for probably 6+ years. It's generally not any actual losses.

You can't really use the term "measuring" to tell the amount of energy in batteries. It's more like "predicting" or "estimating". It's not like just being able to look at the side of a measuring cup to tell the amount of milk. It's not that exact. The car is having to try to track energy in and energy out. And also, if you're using a smaller portion of the battery, the estimation algorithms start to lose visibility to how much total energy is there.

So this happens to every owner with every Tesla car, that the displayed number will start to look about 5-10 miles "low" in the first few months. There are procedures that you could do to tune that back in some to help yourself feel better about the number you see, but it's not doing anything helpful for the battery itself.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
This has been brought up every week for probably 6+ years. It's generally not any actual losses.

You can't really use the term "measuring" to tell the amount of energy in batteries. It's more like "predicting" or "estimating". It's not like just being able to look at the side of a measuring cup to tell the amount of milk. It's not that exact. The car is having to try to track energy in and energy out. And also, if you're using a smaller portion of the battery, the estimation algorithms start to lose visibility to how much total energy is there.

So this happens to every owner with every Tesla car, that the displayed number will start to look about 5-10 miles "low" in the first few months. There are procedures that you could do to tune that back in some to help yourself feel better about the number you see, but it's not doing anything helpful for the battery itself.

Yeah obviously not a HUGE deal and most likely just calculation/prediction issue. Its just werid when I see other SR+ with same software that does not have this issue.

Yeah obviously not a HUGE deal and most likely just calculation/prediction issue. Its just werid when I see other SR+ with same software that does not have this issue.

Unless you're still in your return period (not that you would necessarily return the car for this), I would just sit tight and see what happens. When convenient you can do a deep discharge but be sure to recharge promptly.

If it continues to rapidly degrade, you'll see it, and you're extremely likely to get a battery replacement in that case. It's rare but it happens. Probably not an issue for you though.

I would guess the Service Center would just shrug their shoulders. If you happen to be going there anyway, sure, mention it.

Unless you're still in your return period (not that you would necessarily return the car for this), I would just sit tight and see what happens. When convenient you can do a deep discharge but be sure to recharge promptly.

If it continues to rapidly degrade, you'll see it, and you're extremely likely to get a battery replacement in that case. It's rare but it happens. Probably not an issue for you though.

I would guess the Service Center would just shrug their shoulders. If you happen to be going there anyway, sure, mention it.

Yeah. Unless the estimate keeps dropping, I dont see this as a big deal at all. Hopefully I'll never have to go through the replacement or even proper visit to the SC. Thank you for the insight.

I just did a 1000 mile road trip and did 6 supercharging visits. My lowest SOC was 9% and I charged as high as 95% on the trip. Now that I have returned home, I did a 100% charge to see if it helped. It didn’t. It got worse. Now my 100% is 233 miles.

I just did a 1000 mile road trip and did 6 supercharging visits. My lowest SOC was 9% and I charged as high as 95% on the trip. Now that I have returned home, I did a 100% charge to see if it helped. It didn’t. It got worse. Now my 100% is 233 miles.
What was your average wh/mi for that trip? If it was way over 250 then it will show around that number 233, keeping it under 250 wh/mi driving it efficiently should bring those numbers up.

Fred

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Did a 700 mile round trip to Vegas & back, and i hit 4 Superchargers each way but kept my wh/mi under 250 and didn’t lose the mileage you indicated, it still looks the same, still at 239-240 at 100%

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
6342C8A5-F443-4CC9-A631-147732789C6D.jpeg

Yermo, Ca.
2C89DBCA-F3BB-4D32-BB12-547AFB63805F.jpeg

Baker Ca.
8C0F39C4-1E49-47E7-B200-CA14A6617B0D.jpeg

Las Vegas, NV
42CFBB7F-9530-42B4-943E-E4ED08411912.jpeg

Fred

Last edited:
What was your average wh/mi for that trip? If it was way over 250 then it will show around that number 233, keeping it under 250 wh/mi driving it efficiently should bring those numbers up.

Fred
That's not correct. I know what you are thinking of, though. Every other electric car it seems except Tesla does that Guess-O-Meter (TM) method of displaying that range number as an estimate based on past history of the efficiency of how you, specifically have been driving. Tesla does not do that. It's based on the amount of energy that is in there, scaled by a fixed EPA efficiency constant. It takes no account of your past driving habits.