Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Regen Dots Anytime Above 55%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had this car for 3 weeks. I had the LR RWD for 15 months so I’m familiar with the normal causes for reduced regen braking and the dots indicating it.

This SR+ will not under any circumstance show full regen available unless the SOC is below 55%. I’ve tested and paid full attention to this for three weeks and driven in all kinds of conditions. For instance this week I arrived at a super charger with 21% remaining, after driving for two hours. Warm battery. I charged to 60% and left with regen dots while arriving with none. I’ve done this experiment three times. Super charge to above 55% to see if the dots reappear. Each time they do. Yes it’s fall and temps are getting cooler. It is possible to have a warm battery in the fall and driving for two hours and then supercharging for 20 mins, after conditioning the battery for the supercharge rules out a cold battery. But every charge to just above 55% results in the dots. The battery doesn’t get colder while charging. So, this car’s software is limiting regen above 55% soc. My LR has full regen below 85%.

So temperature and high SOC are not the only things that give regen dots and limited regen. This and getting 233 miles at 100% on the first day of ownership sucks.

Last edited:
This is likely due to the smaller pack size (fewer cells in parallel). Sending 50kW into a 52kWh pack is far more demanding/heat generating than sending it into a 75kWh pack. As such, you’d expect more regen dots on an SR+ compared to a LR for a given set of ambient conditions and state of charge.

I have a similar experience with my SR+.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
You didn't mention just how cold it has been. What kind of temps are you experiencing, especially during that supercharging session?

At 9°C with my LR AWD I always have some regen dots no matter the charge state. That's not exactly super chilly. But the small amount of regen limitation has no perceptible impact on regen force, say with 10 regen dots.

That said, after supercharging I didn't have regen dots. But that was also at 12C.

• Funny
Reactions: Teedub21
Your car is wack! I drove 2 miles this morning for breakfast and I can see the dots but regen works as should. About 7 hours later and after reading this tread, I had to head out to pick up something and looked at my regen and it was solid lines all the way through. SOC around 80% (charged only to 85%).Sunny SoCal

You didn't mention just how cold it has been. What kind of temps are you experiencing, especially during that supercharging session?

At 9°C with my LR AWD I always have some regen dots no matter the charge state. That's not exactly super chilly. But the small amount of regen limitation has no perceptible impact on regen force, say with 10 regen dots.

That said, after supercharging I didn't have regen dots. But that was also at 12C.
It was about 14c. Still. It could 0. The battery does warm. I’m not saying ‘hey it’s 0c and I have dots’. I’m saying I’ve tested it only after ensuring the battery is good and warm and charging to just over 55% brings them back. I think driving the first 35% of the battery away at lower efficiency regardless of temperature sucks. Charging to 90% each day shouldn’t incur that kind of energy penalty.

Oh and the car has sat for hours in 6c temps at 22%. Full regen. Ugh.

I think this is normal. Have an LR RWD and SR+, and definitely see small number of regen dots on the SR+ for much lower state of charge compared with the LR. It worried me at first, but now after having written/read/replied to a few of these type of threads, I am happy to say that's just the way it is, and don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

So I’ve had this car for 3 weeks. I had the LR RWD for 15 months so I’m familiar with the normal causes for reduced regen braking and the dots indicating it.

This SR+ will not under any circumstance show full regen available unless the SOC is below 55%. I’ve tested and paid full attention to this for three weeks and driven in all kinds of conditions. For instance this week I arrived at a super charger with 21% remaining, after driving for two hours. Warm battery. I charged to 60% and left with regen dots while arriving with none. I’ve done this experiment three times. Super charge to above 55% to see if the dots reappear. Each time they do. Yes it’s fall and temps are getting cooler. It is possible to have a warm battery in the fall and driving for two hours and then supercharging for 20 mins, after conditioning the battery for the supercharge rules out a cold battery. But every charge to just above 55% results in the dots. The battery doesn’t get colder while charging. So, this car’s software is limiting regen above 55% soc. My LR has full regen below 85%.

So temperature and high SOC are not the only things that give regen dots and limited regen. This and getting 233 miles at 100% on the first day of ownership sucks.
Maybe related, but my LR-AWD is showing regen dots after the v10 firmware updates, with a regen limited notice. I've never had them last Winter. I'm charging up to between 75 and 80%, so there's plenty of headroom. Yes, it's starting to cool off, mid-50F, but I didn't see any regen limitation last Winter, then again in Winter, I set the car to chill mode and low regen. Maybe I just didn't notice the dots in my new car, but I definitely didn't get a limited regen notice on screen.

Sure seems to me like the car has something wrong. I'd say a visit to the service center is in order.

When I start out on cooler mornings the regen is limited no matter what charge level I have. It can take considerable driving to get the regen back to full, at least half a hour and maybe closer to an hour.

Sure seems to me like the car has something wrong. I'd say a visit to the service center is in order.

When I start out on cooler mornings the regen is limited no matter what charge level I have. It can take considerable driving to get the regen back to full, at least half a hour and maybe closer to an hour.
Which is what I expected after having the LR RWD for over a year. With the SR+ anything over 55% regardless of temp and there are dots. The regen is less when they are present.

Left the car unplugged all night planning to charge it up once it’s below 10%. So I go grab a coffee and the battery has a snowflake symbol and 16% soc. It’s 11c but was colder overnight. Guess what? Full regen. Makes no sense.

Charging the battery warms it up. I'm not certain what goes on with some of the indicators. Today I started a trip with significant regen limitation. After about half an hour the regen is much less limited, but that's when the "!" comes on next to the regen limited dashed line. What does that mean that it wouldn't have been on when the regen was much more severely limited? Ten minutes later it all goes out and I've got full regen.