Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR & SR+ Battery Questions & Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all of the Model 3 pack variants have the same number of bricks. (They are wired in series, so they control the voltage of the pack.)

Also, the bricks aren't physically separate units, it is just how the cells are wired inside the module.

No. LR has two 23's (outer) and two 25's (inner). SR has four 24's. The number indicates how many bricks in module. Cells/brick determines density.

No. LR has two 23's (outer) and two 25's (inner). SR has four 24's. The number indicates how many bricks in module. Cells/brick determines density.

So every Model 3 pack has the same number of bricks, which is exactly what I said. (Sure they are allocated differently between modules, but that doesn't matter.)

The bricks aren't physically separate parts put together inside a module are they?

So every Model 3 pack has the same number of bricks, which is exactly what I said. (Sure they are allocated differently between modules, but that doesn't matter.)

The bricks aren't physically separate parts put together inside a module are they?

All cars have 4 tires, but doesn’t mean they perform the same....bricks are not physically separate.

LR has two sizes. Base is built the same for both, larger is inner but needs to be configured to a left or right, smaller is outer, needs to be configured for left or right. SR has one size, one base, configured to be inner or outer.
I stole and modified this graphic from electrek. It could be how the SR modules are configured. LR on top, my speculative SR on bottom.

20190511, Model 3 Module layout.png

I would imagine the inner and outer modules would be mounted the same way for weight distribution reasons.
That very well may be how it is and I started off thinking they would do that but I think the way I have it minimizes the configuration change needed for each module. Counterintuitively, it also distributes the mass within pack enclosure more evenly, which I think would be better structurally and for crash safety. Just my speculation of course.

SR/+ pack has all 4 modules towards the rear, closest to the penthouse. Empty space filled by space filling device.
I'm not gonna lie. I went ahead and knocked on the carpet to see if I could tell it was more hollow up front after reading this. I always wondered what the design was going to be for the SR packs ever since it was announced. Care to tell us what space filling device is made of?