Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One call out here guys, there's a chance that these new 253 mile model 3s may be made in China imports. Anyone in manufacturing would know that swapping a big component such as a different size battery (LFP heavier than normal SR+ battery) is not easy. I'm skeptical Tesla would take a risk building a batch with LFP batteries.
I could be wrong, and nothing against made in china cars, but the original draft of the green act has extra money for cars built in America. I recall it was 10k for made in USA cars and 12.5k for union worker made cars.
Now it may be just 7500 or 7k extension, who knows. Just want to bring this up since I haven't seen anyone mention this yet.

One call out here guys, there's a chance that these new 253 mile model 3s may be made in China imports. Anyone in manufacturing would know that swapping a big component such as a different size battery (LFP heavier than normal SR+ battery) is not easy. I'm skeptical Tesla would take a risk building a batch with LFP batteries.
I could be wrong, and nothing against made in china cars, but the original draft of the green act has extra money for cars built in America. I recall it was 10k for made in USA cars and 12.5k for union worker made cars.
Now it may be just 7500 or 7k extension, who knows. Just want to bring this up since I haven't seen anyone mention this yet.
VIN numbers suggest Fremont builds. Not sure how definitive that is though.

Reactions: speedyrogue
They are not MIC cars; they are made in Fremont. Just the batteries are what changed.

Reactions: speedyrogue
I ordered an SR+ on 7/31 with estimated delivery November. I got the email from Tesla about the new batteries and they had my exact same car locally (ATL). I ordered that and I have the delivery day of Monday. My original order with the $100 deposit should be applied to the new car. We'll see how it goes! I talked with Tesla support today and they said there are hundreds of people doing the same swap as me right now.

Note there's no system in place to transfer financing from one car to the other so that has to be done manually. If you get a delivery date you get pushed to the top of that queue. You may need to call them and ask them to pester financing for it to happen. I had to call three times and the final time I got the rep to push it through.

Is there a disadvantage to the different batteries? I can land a SR+ for delivery 9/8-9/16 instead of my original order that keeps getting pushed back closer to Christ returning.
It's really a 50/50 choice. Do some Googling or searching on here and you'll find more info. The #1 good thing about the LFP batteries is you can charge to 100% all the time without worrying though but it has other drawbacks as well. I would just keep your original order personally.

SA just explained to me that the original $100 will be applied to new order.

Big catch is that these cars are pre-production. I have a VIN but the car isn't built. So I am waiting in a new line and with hopefully an earlier delivery date.
That's interesting. I ordered one yesterday from San Diego (I live in Las Vegas). I got a VIN right away. I completed the all the steps including proof of insurance. Today I got the text and email saying to setup my delivery date. The earliest I could do is next Wednesday, Sept. 1st which I booked. Hope mine is actually built and not being rushed this weekend.

Got one the LFP drops yesterday and got my VIN immediately, i rather not get insurance until i delivery date, but was wondering if that would hold up them reaching out to me to schedule the pickup.

anyone get the pick text/email without uploading insurance information?
I switched over to LFP yesterday after the email and immediately got a VIN. Insurance uploaded this am. No text/call for pickup yet

Got one the LFP drops yesterday and got my VIN immediately, i rather not get insurance until i delivery date, but was wondering if that would hold up them reaching out to me to schedule the pickup.

anyone get the pick text/email without uploading insurance information?
Why not do insurance and have it set to be active on the estimated delivery date? My EDD yesterday said Aug 29th-@Sept 1st, so I called up my insurance company and told them to set the effective date of the Tesla to be Aug. 29th. After that, went online and downloaded the proof of insurance and then uploaded to Tesla's site. After uploading the proof, the message basically said we will contact you to schedule a delivery date.

Less than 24 hours later I got the text to schedule my pickup date and time. Called my insurance company today and changed my new insurance policy to start on Sept. 1st, the day I pick up the car. Did not have to re-upload any proof of insurance.

Reactions: usmc70
My vin shows Fremont

Why not do insurance and have it set to be active on the estimated delivery date? My EDD yesterday said Aug 29th-@Sept 1st, so I called up my insurance company and told them to set the effective date of the Tesla to be Aug. 29th. After that, went online and downloaded the proof of insurance and then uploaded to Tesla's site. After uploading the proof, the message basically said we will contact you to schedule a delivery date.

Less than 24 hours later I got the text. Called my insurance company today and changed my new insurance policy to start on Sept. 1st, the day I pick up the car. Did not have to re-upload any proof of insurance.

I don't have an estimate yet. this is what is says...

We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration.