Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like the insurance requirements are something that Tesla's lawyers came up with to protect themselves against some legal exposure related to how they sell cars. I've bought plenty of cars in the past (all in states that Tesla says "require" the VIN to be on your insurance), and dealerships only require that you be insured, not that you have that specific car's VIN on your insurance before you drive off the lot. In most cases, you don't even see the VIN until you get the car and then you are just generally expected to add that to your insurance fairly soon after (and usually not by the dealership since it's not their problem any more).

Reactions: makirules
It sounds like the insurance requirements are something that Tesla's lawyers came up with to protect themselves against some legal exposure related to how they sell cars. I've bought plenty of cars in the past (all in states that Tesla says "require" the VIN to be on your insurance), and dealerships only require that you be insured, not that you have that specific car's VIN on your insurance before you drive off the lot. In most cases, you don't even see the VIN until you get the car and then you are just generally expected to add that to your insurance fairly soon after (and usually not by the dealership since it's not their problem any more).
There's some form the dealerships make you sign that says "You agree to insure this vehicle" or something along those lines. When I bought our Honda Pilot, the salesman was like "Yeah, just add the car to your policy whenever in the next 10 days and you're good".

That is how I have always done it. Got the car, added it to the insurance afterwards.... but it appears that Tesla is anything but normal.