Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 2021 SR + MSM/black interior/18” aero this afternoon. Overall, I’m really pleased with the car and didn’t find much on the inspection at pickup. It is a NCA battery car built in October 2021. It came in to the Raleigh store on 11/6 but they held on to it until today when I returned from vacation. Over the last few weeks once I received my VIN I waffled on whether to get this ‘21 or try to delay until January for ‘22 with potentially the tax credit. My order date was 9/9 so I had a lower purchase price and needed the car, so went ahead with delivery on a ‘21. My original EDD was in January.

Three minor things I noticed during my inspection.
1. There is a small snag on the headliner on the right A pillar (wouldn’t have noticed it had I not been looking).
2. The left passenger door gap is a little large, however the delivery center thought it may be in spec but on a Sunday they didn’t have staff to check it. I scheduled a mobile service appt for next week and they will look at both.
3. The car came with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires on it. I do not want to have summer tires on the car as we approach winter. Winters in central NC aren’t bad, but summer tires are not ideal on a non performance car and the car should have had Primacy MXM4’s on it. The delivery guy didn’t know what to do about it - I’m going to be annoying them until they rectify it.

I’ve been a Tesla fan for years and had on original Model 3 reservation but didn’t work out when they first started delivering them. Glad to have one finally! Already took off the aero hubs caps. Lots of minor upgrades in my future.

Attachments

• 0C81720B-8A4E-4A30-AFB6-94A0A76CD67E.jpeg
    0C81720B-8A4E-4A30-AFB6-94A0A76CD67E.jpeg
    620.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 61A5C2C9-E247-4623-A7D4-8F1CAB07067E.jpeg
    61A5C2C9-E247-4623-A7D4-8F1CAB07067E.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 4E72C835-69B9-4857-99D3-A9CBF93DE55E.jpeg
    4E72C835-69B9-4857-99D3-A9CBF93DE55E.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 95
Wouldn't the additional 5 kwh address any cold weather differences?
I don't know, and I don't care to find out :) My understanding is that the effect is pretty significant. In addition, beyond the cold it also makes the vehicle weigh more and consequently makes it less efficient and reduces acceleration. (note that the 2022 RWD base model has a full half-second additional 0-60 time vs the 2021 SR+; the 2022 LFPs do not have the performance motors like the 2021 imports did).

I'm happy with my choice. It's not the same choice others might make, but it's the right one for me.

//edit: yeah, doing a bit more research, there are complaints of range deteriorating by more than 50% in freezing and below weather. No thanks, if I wanted that kind of range I'd have held on to my Leaf.

Last edited:
Does anyone know "from when the tax credit will commence"? Thanks,
At this point, it's still a maybe, and frankly closer to never.

We don't even have an agreement in the House, much less across both houses of Congress. Manchin stood right up on stage with his Toyota friends and spoke out against the credit, which means the Democrats would need to find at least one Republican supporter to pass it, which I suspect will coincide with the appearance of avian swine.

Honestly, at this point, the only way this actually makes it through is if 1) it's pulled out of the big bill and voted on separately, and 2) the union-built provisions are cut.

If it DOES manage to make it through, we still don't know a start date. The House version says purchases after 1/1/2022, the Senate version I believe has that backdated to May 2021.

Reactions: pipp
//edit: yeah, doing a bit more research, there are complaints of range deteriorating by more than 50% in freezing and below weather. No thanks, if I wanted that kind of range I'd have held on to my Leaf.
Hi, can you please provide the links where did you see those 50% decrease in Range? I mean NCA batteries also does decrease range in cold by upto 30% to almoat 40%. Thats what i heard. I think if you need that extra.5 secs boost then yeah for sure NCA batteries makes more sense. I just think LFP wont loose 50% range in winter if it is been preconditioned properly . Remember in Europe people have been driving LFP over a year now i believe. And i am sure Tesla will definitely be releasing more OTA updates to minimize cold climate issue. But hey each on his own i am sure we will all love our future M3.

Hi, can you please provide the links where did you see those 50% decrease in Range? I mean NCA batteries also does decrease range in cold by upto 30% to almoat 40%. Thats what i heard. I think if you need that extra.5 secs boost then yeah for sure NCA batteries makes more sense. I just think LFP wont loose 50% range in winter if it is been preconditioned properly . Remember in Europe people have been driving LFP over a year now i believe. And i am sure Tesla will definitely be releasing more OTA updates to minimize cold climate issue. But hey each on his own i am sure we will all love our future M3.
Check out the references in this thread:

Somebody else linked a thread with an even better discussion than what I was looking at.

I understand that cold affects all batteries, but it does, without a doubt, affect LFP batteries more. I owned a Nissan Leaf for two years until I sold it when I got my VIN assigned last week, range loss on that vehicle in the cold was in the 35% range and there were zero options/opportunities for preconditioning. I bought this vehicle under the same cold-weather range loss assumption.

There is a lot of kool-aid going around about the superiority of LFP packs; Elon does a pretty good job of channeling the Steve Jobs reality distortion field. They have advantages, but they aren't silver bullets, and they suffer in cold weather. Honestly if LFP was all that was available when I ordered, I would have saved for another bit to get an LR, even though paying $10k (ed note: that was the difference when I ordered, it's down to $6k now because of the base model price increases) for basically what amounts to a relatively small amount of extra range and a few interior improvements that I really don't care about is a bit of a tough pill to swallow.

For what it's worth, one of the analysts on TV news just said the next bill (Build Back Better) is dead -- no hope of passing.
This is essentially what I'm planning for, hoping like crazy my car comes in before Jan 1 so I can at least get the sales tax benefit on it since I just sold my previous car. At least one worthwhile thing about waiting since July to get the car I ordered is that it's a heck of a bargain now compared to what a new order would cost!

Ordered SR+ (blue/black/aero) 9/14
Just called to delay delivery until next year, our current EDD is 12/19-12/31 (no vin yet). It would be stupid to take delivery the last 2 weeks of the year and miss out on an EV credit if one is passed.
I hope all of these delivery delays push up the delivery date in Canada. I find it annoying to here about delivery times a month earlier than mine to my southern neighbors, when my order date is a month earlier!

At this point, it's still a maybe, and frankly closer to never.

We don't even have an agreement in the House, much less across both houses of Congress. Manchin stood right up on stage with his Toyota friends and spoke out against the credit, which means the Democrats would need to find at least one Republican supporter to pass it, which I suspect will coincide with the appearance of avian swine.

Honestly, at this point, the only way this actually makes it through is if 1) it's pulled out of the big bill and voted on separately, and 2) the union-built provisions are cut.

If it DOES manage to make it through, we still don't know a start date. The House version says purchases after 1/1/2022, the Senate version I believe has that backdated to May 2021.
Thanks for the information.

My delivery is due within the next couple weeks. This morning I got a text from Tesla (It's my first text from them).

It says: Tesla Update - We noticed you don't have a trade value for your current vehicle in your account. If you're selling a vehicle to prepare for your upcoming Model 3 delivery, you can trade your vehicle in with your purchase! Get your trade-in value by responding to this text with your car's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and exact mileage and a Tesla Advisor will follow up with you soon.

I had a couple thoughts. I'm planning on selling this vehicle privately to pay off a student loan that my wife and I have... at much higher than the 2.49 interest rate that Tesla Financing offered me. Do you think they would buy it from me - and pay me in cash/check? Secondly, for those of you who have been through this before or have their vehicle, how long before receiving your VIN/Vehicle did you receive this message?