Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s the generous take. I find it downright depressing. Even with RWD being only a quarter or orders, it seems like so few VINS are going out, despite seemingly very little LR backlog. They’re shipping orders from March and April. 🥲

I know it sounds hyperbolic but this treatment as some lesser client has forever tarnished the brand for me.
Agreed that the SR+ backlog compared to LR looks unfair but if you look at the first (4) pie charts in the Tesla M3 Survey Statistics Dashboard VIN percentage is pretty much lined-up with Orders.

Note : Sorry for hammering the link to the new Dashboard/Googlesheet/Survey but with close to 1,200 pages of comments in this waiting room alone, it is normal that Newbies or long time visitors to skip most of the posts history. It took myself a few days before stumbling on the link to the Google sheet and could have easily missed it.

Reactions: Scooter_in_Sac
That’s the generous take. I find it downright depressing. Even with RWD being only a quarter or orders, it seems like so few VINS are going out, despite seemingly very little LR backlog. They’re shipping orders from March and April. 🥲

I know it sounds hyperbolic but this treatment as some lesser client has forever tarnished the brand for me.
Totally agree with you, but this is the best we can do. Unless, you want to pay a substantial amount more money for another EV. Prices are crazy out there.

Totally agree with you, but this is the best we can do. Unless, you want to pay a substantial amount more money for another EV. Prices are crazy out there.
If you can take advantage of the EV rebates, other EVs end up being quite a bit cheaper, especially if you order a new unit directly from the dealership to avoid dealer markup.

My new EDD kinda sucks. As of today, it is now "Aug - Nov 2022". I spoke with a SA last week and pretty much begged and pleaded for suggestions on ways to expedite my M3 RWD. I asked about switching to a Dual Motor, white interior, or 20" wheels and the only suggestion that I got was be patient. I already sold our primary vehicle; however, my family can't go all summer with only one car. I would prefer the LFP battery, but I am willing to spend more if I need to. Should I change my order to a dual motor? Does that mean I start at the end of a new line? Should I just wait? What would you do?

Quick question to those already owning a Tesla. Can you open this type of link on the car screen? Tesla M3 Survey Statistics Dashboard

If so, would like to see a picture of that.
Looks close to how it looks on my desktop chrome.
2022-05-15 16.25.02.jpg

Reactions: MtlMV and Soosh
My new EDD kinda sucks. As of today, it is now "Aug - Nov 2022". I spoke with a SA last week and pretty much begged and pleaded for suggestions on ways to expedite my M3 RWD. I asked about switching to a Dual Motor, white interior, or 20" wheels and the only suggestion that I got was be patient. I already sold our primary vehicle; however, my family can't go all summer with only one car. I would prefer the LFP battery, but I am willing to spend more if I need to. Should I change my order to a dual motor? Does that mean I start at the end of a new line? Should I just wait? What would you do?
For what it is worth - a jump that like to a “null” or place holder EDD often precedes a VIN. But let’s assume that isn’t the case. From what I can observe, based on anecdotes here and on Reddit,when you switch configurerions from RWD to LR you hold your place in line. That is, you’d be treated like a LR order from November and thus be assigned a VIN quickly. That’s wht when people post about moving to LR from RWD, people in the LR line lament it as it means they get leapfrogged by the older order. If I’m wrong, someone please correct me.

For what it is worth - a jump that like to a “null” or place holder EDD often precedes a VIN. But let’s assume that isn’t the case. From what I can observe, based on anecdotes here and on Reddit,when you switch configurerions from RWD to LR you hold your place in line. That is, you’d be treated like a LR order from November and thus be assigned a VIN quickly. That’s wht when people post about moving to LR from RWD, people in the LR line lament it as it means they get leapfrogged by the older order. If I’m wrong, someone please correct me.
That’s how it worked previously. However with Tesla, past performance is not indicative of future results.

Call everyday to see what their “rejected” cars list looks like. Tell them you’re willing to pay the shipping fee so that they will look all over the US for a rejected car that meets your spec. If they don’t have a RWD, ask if they have a LR that meets your spec (which was the case for me) they can assign that VIN to you while on the phone. Hope this helps. Waiting for almost a year is not what I would want to do.

I would switch to an LR yeah. With the grandfathered price, you’d pay basically what the SR goes for these days. You might leapfrog everyone else and get your car in a month.

From what I was told, you would start in with the new orders. My suggestion would be looking elsewhere. Depending on down-payment and credit score you're looking at $800+ a month.

Reactions: Scooter_in_Sac
The only dealer I know still taking online orders are BMW. KIA, Huyandia and Ford are donezo. Also, the rebates isn't guaranteed.
Did you talk to the other dealerships and they all said no? If there are multiple dealerships of the same brand in your area, you may want to call all of them if the first one refuses.

The rebates do have income and price ceilings of course.

Reactions: Johnsson90
I ordered my model 3 standard range black with the sport rim, on October 3,2021. The original EDD was March 2022. Second EDD went to may-June…then it went to Feb-march, 4th EDD got pushed to may-June…. checked the account again now it’s July-aug. I have gone to Tesla several times to see what the problem is but I never get an answer just saying it should be delivered at the end of the quater in June…I’m wishing I can get that vin number. I’m ready to purchase. I afraid To change from standar range to preformance or long range fearing I’ll be pushed back even more. anyone wanting to transfer their EDD that isnt ready to buy yet?

Reactions: Soosh
Did you talk to the other dealerships and they all said no? If there are multiple dealerships of the same brand in your area, you may want to call all of them if the first one refuses.

The rebates do have income and price ceilings of course.
Called the majority of them. I'm locked in on getting the Kia Ev6 AWD. The Wind RWD is 0-60 in 7 seconds, 310 miles until the next charge. Test drove the GT AWD. Fell in love, but not for 70k. Their selling the Wind AWD for around 58k.

I ordered my model 3 standard range black with the sport rim, on October 3,2021. The original EDD was March 2022. Second EDD went to may-June…then it went to Feb-march, 4th EDD got pushed to may-June…. checked the account again now it’s July-aug. I have gone to Tesla several times to see what the problem is but I never get an answer just saying it should be delivered at the end of the quater in June…I’m wishing I can get that vin number. I’m ready to purchase. I afraid To change from standar range to preformance or long range fearing I’ll be pushed back even more. anyone wanting to transfer their EDD that isnt ready to buy yet?
Another month’s wait doesn’t sound too bad. If you really want to get a Model 3 as soon as possible, switching to an LR would be a good idea - I’ve never heard of anyone making the switch and getting a later delivery date. Otherwise, yeah an 8-9 month wait isn’t uncommon for the SR trim.

Called the majority of them. I'm locked in on getting the Kia Ev6 AWD. The Wind RWD is 0-60 in 7 seconds, 310 miles until the next charge. Test drove the GT AWD. Fell in love, but not for 70k. Their selling the Wind AWD for around 58k.
I strongly considered the EV6 too actually. I like the head-up display in the highest trims. At that level I think the EV6 is comparable to the Model 3 in range, acceleration, and price, assuming no dealer markup. With the EV rebates, the EV6 may be cheaper.

I strongly considered the EV6 too actually. I like the head-up display in the highest trims. At that level I think the EV6 is comparable to the Model 3 in range, acceleration, and price, assuming no dealer markup. With the EV rebates, the EV6 may be cheaper.
I guess it really depends on when you ordered. My OD was 9/11 so with MSRP and everything else, I'm paying less than 45k. Even if I went with the Kia EV6 Wind AWD and allowed them to tell me that it's 60k, the car would be 52k ($7,500 tax rebate) and my Tesla payments would still be cheaper. This experience has been a nightmare and unprofessional. It might make me pay hundreds over my Tesla rate.

My actual delivery date hit another bump and got pushed out by another 5 days....revised delivery date is May 22-May 26 now. Seems, it shall be a month gap between receiving VIN & actual delivery.

After 8 months of hearing from Tesla customer support, "we shall be able to provide you a firm delivery date, once a VIN is allocated to your account".......the misery is still not over.

Reading online; the culprit now is the missing charging port.

The latest reply from Tesla customer support is "we reply on 3rd party transporters to ship the cars from Fremont to your delivery center (Miami) and delays are beyond our control at this moment. We are only relaying you information that we can see on our end."

Annoying and frustrating!!

The least that they can do is being honest and straight forward by admitting that the vehicles are missing the charging port and the service center is waiting for the part to prepare your vehicle for delivery.
The nightmare of waiting has not ended just yet.

After calling Tesla customer support (almost everyday), they finally confirmed that the vehicle arrived in Miami on 13 May (18 days after receiving VIN on Apr 25). As guessed by me, the vehicle came with a 'charger port hold'. I was tentatively scheduled for delivery on 15 May (today), subject to timely installation of the charge port etc.

Quite expectedly, the installation didn't happen and I got a call from the delivery center that they have pushed out the delivery date by a week to 22 May tentatively. Supposedly, the missing charger port parts arrived on 14 May and they needed the extra week for installation and pre delivery checks etc.

I happened to pass by the delivery center today and thought of speaking to an actual Tesla agent at the delivery location.

To my utter shock, I was told that the missing parts are still on back order and the 'Expected completion date' of the vehicle now is 03 Jun and delivery shall only be scheduled after that date (subject to availability of slots). The guy at the center told me to check again around 27 May as the date of 03 Jun may extend further if there was a delay in receiving the missing parts.

My delivery date in Tesla app just changed to 27 May.

I am at my wits end and still trying to figure out what to believe and what not to believe at this point. So much of information mismatch on a Sunday.......

Honestly.....'horrible' is an understatement to sum up my order experience with Tesla since Sep 2021.