Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic while waiting. Like you I was in this waiting line and finally took delivery on 8/17. Since then, like me, if you order the STD AP, you briefly tried the feature during your road test and you're probably all excited about how it will be to have the car keep lane and follow cars keeping a distance. Until you experience it yourself I have only one word "Siri". When it works as expected, especially if you're tech savvy, you can't help thinking about all the ingenuity, hours and efforts it took to get this to work. Combining live images, road map, steering wheel, pedals etc...It is simply marvellous. But when it fails, and it does for reason beyond reasoning, is when you really understand the sheer power of a human brain. But rest assure, its really fun but that relieved the pressure I was putting on myself before as to take the Enhanced pilot or not. Glad I did not.

Just checked my EDD has changed.

it was 10/20/2022 - 12/01/2022
it is 10/19/2022 - 11/23/2022

it moved up 1 day but with the range has shortened from 42 days to 32 days.

I am planning to place an order of the Wall charger in Sept, and check out the installation appointments with electricians.
I would prob get that done asap. Also contact your electric company to see about the wait time to switch over to an EV plan. We have SCE and it’s 2-3 billing cycles.

I’m in QC Canada, ordered one using the promo code on Aug. 31. Got a “Shipped” email on Sept. 3 with a UPS tracking number, but when I check the tracking on ups, it just says label created with no estimated delivery date. I will keep you guys posted if anything changes in the coming days.
One week after I ordered I got the label created msg and 2 days later today got the ups on the way status. Tesla told me 1-2 weeks and were correct

my EDD was 9/07-9/11. got a call this morning to schedule delivery.

called Tesla...agent says, "soooo...it looks like your car is on island so we can schedule deliver for next week...OH...itʻs been prepped and itʻs ready. you can pick it up this weekend...OH, you live 15 minutes away, we can deliver it to your house...OH, looks like weʻre light tomorrow and can deliver it tomorrow afternoon. does that work?"

me: 🤯

so i guess iʻm getting my car tomorrow. metallic silver/black interior/19". no FSD. ordered 3/15

THIS is why you should plan in advance and get all your financing/insurance stuff ready as soon as you get that 4-day window...

Update: My wall connector just shipped this morning (I ordered it yesterday from the Tesla online ship). Given all the comments above, it looks like Tesla is not having any trouble shipping out the wall connectors (an encouraging sign for first time EV / Tesla buyers). I wonder when they will catch up on the backlog for mobile connectors?
I think what is happening is that the Mobile Connectors are/were being bought by folks who don't have a Tesla, or ordering multiple Mobile Connectors and then flipping them on eBay for a quick buck or two. So they wait to give them out when you pick up the car. Even if (like me) you have already paid for them. The problem is they seem to give you the old 'free' version without the 14-50 adaptor. I want the one I paid for, with the 14-50 adaptor.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard any updates if the RWD will qualify?

No updates on the IRS website 😢
My guess is no. I found this written by the Congressional Research Service... https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN11996

I believe that the RWD LFP battery pack is built in China from cells made in China. Not clear where the minerals come from but the LFP battery only has one critical mineral... lithium. So my guess is the Critical Mineral criteria is not met. And since the battery pack is assembled in China it probably won't count under the 2nd criteria. Then in 2024 if ANY of the battery components were built is a country of concern (yes China) then it can't qualify. So Tesla would have to shift half of the battery assemble to the US, but they only have 1 year to shift it all. And if the cells were made in China, depending on how you calculate these numbers, it just doesn't seem possible. Maybe they would redesign the RWD to have a US made NCA cells and Nevada or Auston built batteries, but then you lose the benefits of the LFP.

But don't make any decisions on what I said. Until there is official guidance we won't know and that guidance won't be out until it is too late for most of us.

"The maximum potential credit is the sum of two amounts: the critical mineral amount and the battery component amount.

Critical Minerals ($3,750): Starting in 2023 (and after the Treasury issues guidance on this requirement), to qualify for this portion of the credit, at least 40% of the value of the battery’s applicable critical minerals must have been extracted or processed in the United States or in a country with which the United States has a free trade agreement, or recycled in North America. The 40% amount increases to 50% in 2024, 60% in 2025, 70% in 2026, and 80% in 2027 and thereafter.

Battery Components ($3,750): Starting in 2023 (and after the Treasury issues guidance on this requirement), to qualify for this portion of the credit, at least 50% of the value of the battery’s components must have been manufactured or assembled in North America. The 50% amount increases to 60% in 2024 and 2025, 70% in 2026, 80% in 2027, 90% in 2028, and 100% in 2029 and thereafter.

Additional restrictions apply to vehicle batteries starting in 2024 and 2025. Specifically, starting in 2024, an EV cannot qualify for the clean vehicle tax credit if any of the vehicle’s battery components were manufactured or assembled by a foreign entity of concern. Starting in 2025, an EV cannot qualify for the clean vehicle credit if the vehicle’s battery contains critical minerals that were extracted, processed, or recycled by a foreign entity of concern."

Battery Components ($3,750): Starting in 2023 (and after the Treasury issues guidance on this requirement), to qualify for this portion of the credit, at least 50% of the value of the battery’s components must have been manufactured or assembled in North America.

I think some people are holding onto a sliver of hope that the Chinese LFP cells are assembled in the US into a battery pack to qualify. Maybe Tesla will do some creative accounting to say that the assembly costed 50% of the battery value.

I noticed it doesn't have China anywhere here... that's a RWD.
PXL_20220907_151426855.jpg

Well, after switching to Blue a couple days ago my EDD now updated to 11/16 - 12/26 which is exactly one day sooner than MSM was before the switch :) Hoping that moves more in the coming days, but I'm not holding my breath. It was still probably worth a try given the other reports here.

My guess is no. I found this written by the Congressional Research Service... https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN11996

I believe that the RWD LFP battery pack is built in China from cells made in China. Not clear where the minerals come from but the LFP battery only has one critical mineral... lithium. So my guess is the Critical Mineral criteria is not met. And since the battery pack is assembled in China it probably won't count under the 2nd criteria. Then in 2024 if ANY of the battery components were built is a country of concern (yes China) then it can't qualify. So Tesla would have to shift half of the battery assemble to the US, but they only have 1 year to shift it all. And if the cells were made in China, depending on how you calculate these numbers, it just doesn't seem possible. Maybe they would redesign the RWD to have a US made NCA cells and Nevada or Auston built batteries, but then you lose the benefits of the LFP.

But don't make any decisions on what I said. Until there is official guidance we won't know and that guidance won't be out until it is too late for most of us.

"The maximum potential credit is the sum of two amounts: the critical mineral amount and the battery component amount.

Critical Minerals ($3,750): Starting in 2023 (and after the Treasury issues guidance on this requirement), to qualify for this portion of the credit, at least 40% of the value of the battery’s applicable critical minerals must have been extracted or processed in the United States or in a country with which the United States has a free trade agreement, or recycled in North America. The 40% amount increases to 50% in 2024, 60% in 2025, 70% in 2026, and 80% in 2027 and thereafter.

Battery Components ($3,750): Starting in 2023 (and after the Treasury issues guidance on this requirement), to qualify for this portion of the credit, at least 50% of the value of the battery’s components must have been manufactured or assembled in North America. The 50% amount increases to 60% in 2024 and 2025, 70% in 2026, 80% in 2027, 90% in 2028, and 100% in 2029 and thereafter.

Additional restrictions apply to vehicle batteries starting in 2024 and 2025. Specifically, starting in 2024, an EV cannot qualify for the clean vehicle tax credit if any of the vehicle’s battery components were manufactured or assembled by a foreign entity of concern. Starting in 2025, an EV cannot qualify for the clean vehicle credit if the vehicle’s battery contains critical minerals that were extracted, processed, or recycled by a foreign entity of concern."
Looks like the pack is assembled in Fremont:

So “at least 50% of the value of the battery’s components must have been manufactured or assembled in North America” looks to be true.

Reactions: Rocket_man