TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SR/SR+ Waiting Room

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by HelixSpiral, Mar 5, 2019.

1. pcgqr1

pcgqr1 Member

SR- poverty edition. got a call from Delivery this morning advising to NOT to start applying for financing yet. Home deliveries only, no service center deliveries. Expect May-June delivery for east coast.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. ineedcoffee

ineedcoffee Member

May/june!?!? You gotta be sh!tting me. Like others i am awaiting a SR+ and have already listed and found a buyer for my current car on craisglist. me and the buyer are both waiting for my model 3 delivery to make the sale final. I was going off the estimated 2 week delivery quote. Highly doubt the buyer will be willing to wait around that long. Great

3. pcgqr1

pcgqr1 Member

Well SR+ will be delivered a lot earlier since it's similar build to MR.

I'm talking about SR- bottom of the barrel no option poverty edition. Looks like no one is ordering SR-. Also I didn't have reservation, non-owner, east coast. Delivery was giving east coast excuses for May June delivery timeframe.

4. Bslate1890

Bslate1890 Member

Absolutely I was worried! For the same reasons you listed I decided to go with inventory on hand to ensure the EV credit.

I work for Tesla internally and I can tell you there is no memo or real predictions on when these cars will actually be delivered. There was an article yesterday morning citing we produced only 550 Model 3's post announcement! The key about the price cuts was that the $2,500 deposit is non refundable. Paying the deposit and not getting the EV credit wasn't an option for me.

Elon was also quoted saying we will not be at "volume production" until Q2. Whatever that means...o_O

• Like x 1
  5. pcgqr1

pcgqr1 Member

I will cancel order if it gets too close to the expiration date in June.

OH NO! looks like SR- orders will miss the EV credit...

• Like x 1
  6. Bslate1890

Bslate1890 Member

Keep in mind if you cancel, they will keep your $2500!

Slight chance Elon makes another price cut to remedy the expiring EV credit, I woudn't count on it though...

If you don't mind spending a little extra money give them a call and look at the MR they have on hand.

• Like x 1
  7. Lemonpie889

Lemonpie889 Member

That's not true. Your 2500 deposit is only non-refundable once they assign you a vin.

• Like x 2
  8. i-am-ai

i-am-ai Member

New to this forum. Ordered SR+ black/black and no options on 28Feb. No movement yet. Called them regarding trade-in and was asked to complete trade-in info after VIN is assigned.

9. Moze1021

Moze1021 Member

Don't they assign you a VIN automatically without your approval? Isn't this just semantics?

10. Bslate1890

Bslate1890 Member

I'm also not sure on the fine print on actually receiving a VIN vs taking delivery for the EV credit. I would clarify with a rep...

IE you receive VIN May or June but it doesn't actually get delivered until July, playing devil's advocate here.

11. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    You could always order an SR or SR+ now, then change your order to an MR in a couple of months if you still haven't been assigned a VIN.

12. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    To qualify for the tax credit by a given date, the car needs to have been put "in service". Meaning you need to have physically taken delivery.

• Like x 1
  13. Big-T

Big-T Member

14. Mixdup

Mixdup Member

They assign the VIN when the car has started production. Yes, it's automatic, but it's only when you're close to delivery. You should cancel as soon as you're sure you can't/won't take delivery instead of letting it float around.

15. tiggerlu

tiggerlu Member

Yeah, honestly - as I'm up in Vancouver, BC - I'm thinking a minimum of 6 weeks, if I'm lucky. Their 2-4 weeks means nothing to me, as they simply cannot predict production / sales / delivery....they're just not there yet with even guessing what that curve looks like.

16. tiggerlu

tiggerlu Member

Nice! I might consider doing that, if I hear nothing in the next 2-3 weeks - which would make almost 4 weeks total wait time since I ordered same as you; SR+, white interior.

If they can give me a mid-range for a marginal difference, it does have better speakers!

Any issues you think with a 2018 vs 2019 VIN? I mean technology wise...the battery is same tech I imagine?

17. Moze1021

Moze1021 Member

Got it...

I'm in a completely different boat and trying to understand how the whole process works. I want to order and take delivery as close to, but not after, June 30th as possible (and also going for a LR AWD).

From what I understand there are a lot of folks who are getting assigned 2018 VINs and rejecting them in favor of a 2019 VIN. So... are they able to get a refund if the 2019 VIN is taking too long?

18. aaroniidx

aaroniidx New Member

Just got off the phone with a rep, who told me (rather confidently) that they are producing SR+ right now and are going pretty fast. I ordered on 3/2 (black/black/aero/no EAP) and was told I can expect my VIN in about a week and a half.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  19. Moyibi

Moyibi New Member

New here... Ordered 3/2 (SR+, black, black, sport, and AP). Spoke with a rep yesterday confirming config details - no delivery date discussed.

20. EV4EVer

EV4EVer Member

Here in Europe we’ll have to wait about 6-8 months more, so, as my friend Harry would say... you’ve got to ask yourself a question: ‘do I feel lucky?’