Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our first road trip in our M3 was on the same day we took delivery last July. I had never driven a Tesla before. It was a 2K round trip. I wish I had time to learn about the car before hand but the trip was a necessity. After driving the same vehicle for many years there were so many habits I had to overcome not to mention learning the screen and where everything is. Of course having a love affair with the M3 made things less frustrating. Have a wonderful Tesla experience. You made the right decision.

I am kind of going to be in the same shoes (of course, unless I refuse delivery for some quality issues endangering the road trip - I hope not). I will have the car for a full week before I start the trip.

Any experiences from inexperience / tips you feel might benefit us?

First post. Tried about 10 gas cars. Last weekend, I left the 10th car showroom, disappointed and almost having made up my mind to go with 2018 Audi A6 (best of the lot I drove), when my wife told me that I should just consider driving a Tesla. We both laughed (thinking how insane that idea is because we were not in the market for a Tesla). As she said it, we coincidentally found ourselves passing by a Tesla showroom in western PA! We decided to go in....within the next 45 minutes, I bought the car.

I ordered the Model 3 in White, Standard Range Plus (Partial Premium), with the Autopilot ($3000) feature. Wait is exactly 6 days. I get it this weekend. I am very excited by reading many positive posts and I am a little anxious by reading all the negative posts/experiences. I am at least glad I am participating (with my money) in something that may be the future for personal transportation.

I opted to spend another $2000 for a partial XPEL wrap (full front and other high impact areas) with a window tint as we are moving to the desert.

This website a great find. I look forward to contributing because our first venture is the 2300 mile drive from Western PA to Reno, NV with my spouse and our dog in the new Tesla M3

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
Hi billionaiire,

Sounds like you gave the competition every chance to sell you a car. Were there any especially prominent good or bad things about the gas cars? Those of us with EV's can't quite look at gas cars objectively any more.

And soon you'll also be seeing those other cars as antiques. But I'm trying to recapture that gas car mindset to better understand where we all are in the process of moving to the future.

Thanks!

• Helpful
In most cases the errors on the cars are made up for by how incredible the car is as a package. Completely blown away that you can have this much for $40,000. The only sad part is the model 3 I have now is going to seem ancient in comparison to what this and other companies can bring to the market in 5-10 years. I feel like the acceleration of what cars are capable of is going to be unlike any other time.
With OTA updates, your Model 3 is going to be relevant and leading-edge for many years.

First post. Tried about 10 gas cars. Last weekend, I left the 10th car showroom, disappointed and almost having made up my mind to go with 2018 Audi A6 (best of the lot I drove), when my wife told me that I should just consider driving a Tesla. We both laughed (thinking how insane that idea is because we were not in the market for a Tesla). As she said it, we coincidentally found ourselves passing by a Tesla showroom in western PA! We decided to go in....within the next 45 minutes, I bought the car.

I ordered the Model 3 in White, Standard Range Plus (Partial Premium), with the Autopilot ($3000) feature. Wait is exactly 6 days. I get it this weekend. I am very excited by reading many positive posts and I am a little anxious by reading all the negative posts/experiences. I am at least glad I am participating (with my money) in something that may be the future for personal transportation.

I opted to spend another $2000 for a partial XPEL wrap (full front and other high impact areas) with a window tint as we are moving to the desert.

This website a great find. I look forward to contributing because our first venture is the 2300 mile drive from Western PA to Reno, NV with my spouse and our dog in the new Tesla M3
Good instincts. You’ll love the car. Thousandaiire

Hi billionaiire,

Sounds like you gave the competition every chance to sell you a car. Were there any especially prominent good or bad things about the gas cars? Those of us with EV's can't quite look at gas cars objectively any more.

And soon you'll also be seeing those other cars as antiques. But I'm trying to recapture that gas car mindset to better understand where we all are in the process of moving to the future.

Thanks!

Correct. I am a tall guy (6'3'') so I was skeptical about Tesla Model 3 since the beginning. Yes, it is about 10% less space than my '16 Subaru Legacy but it will have to do. That Legacy was some car when it comes to roominess.

I tried most leading Sedans. Acura TLX ceiling was too low for me so didn't even drive it. Honda Accord was boring. Kia salesmen were less interested to sell me a car than I was to buy a Kia. I did not drive a Ford because I only wanted a Mustang and it was not welcome in the house as we were in the market for a 4-door. Alfa Romeo was a sheer disappointment. Jaguar was comfortable but felt under powered. Nissan was boring. Infiniti held the second best place and Audi A6 was the only car that I truly liked in the gasoline ICE department. The 2018 Audi A6 were being cleaned out so I was almost going to bite at $37,000 USD. But then the Tesla showroom coincidence took place.

As for your prominence question - There are only two 'real' issues outstanding today with electric vehicles that enables the gas cars to continue on for another decade at the most - 1) range anxiety/lack of standardization 2) production/service efficiency (automaker adolescence). They are real issues even in the United States, let alone in other countries.

As soon as these issues are within a respectable risk threshold, I think gas cars will truly start declining.

Correct. I am a tall guy (6'3'') so I was skeptical about Tesla Model 3 since the beginning. Yes, it is about 10% less space than my '16 Subaru Legacy but it will have to do. That Legacy was some car when it comes to roominess.

I tried most leading Sedans. Acura TLX ceiling was too low for me so didn't even drive it. Honda Accord was boring. Kia salesmen were less interested to sell me a car than I was to buy a Kia. I did not drive a Ford because I only wanted a Mustang and it was not welcome in the house as we were in the market for a 4-door. Alfa Romeo was a sheer disappointment. Jaguar was comfortable but felt under powered. Nissan was boring. Infiniti held the second best place and Audi A6 was the only car that I truly liked in the gasoline ICE department. The 2018 Audi A6 were being cleaned out so I was almost going to bite at $37,000 USD. But then the Tesla showroom coincidence took place.

As for your prominence question - There are only two 'real' issues outstanding today with electric vehicles that enables the gas cars to continue on for another decade at the most - 1) range anxiety/lack of standardization 2) production/service efficiency (automaker adolescence). They are real issues even in the United States, let alone in other countries.

As soon as these issues are within a respectable risk threshold, I think gas cars will truly start declining.

I think after living with a Tesla for a while to which you can charge at home to get a full “tank” every day and use the supercharger network, you will see that your issue #1 is a non issue.

Same with number 2 if you can get the mobile service (which is awesome).

Many people will just need to be shown the way. But it’s fantastic that you are willing to jump in!

I think after living with a Tesla for a while to which you can charge at home to get a full “tank” every day and use the supercharger network, you will see that your issue #1 is a non issue.

Same with number 2 if you can get the mobile service (which is awesome).

Many people will just need to be shown the way. But it’s fantastic that you are willing to jump in!

Reduced demand on gasoline might just have an dimming effect on Middle East - fueled terrorism. Lives on both ends may improve in light of that. I may be reaching here but just a thought.

Reduced demand on gasoline might just have an dimming effect on Middle East - fueled terrorism. Lives on both ends may improve in light of that. I may be reaching here but just a thought.

I think the horses are already out of the barn on that one. Even if we stopped using gas today, there is plenty of money over there. But I certainly don’t like giving them even more. (Yes I realize the US produces oil but it is still a global commodity.)

I am kind of going to be in the same shoes (of course, unless I refuse delivery for some quality issues endangering the road trip - I hope not). I will have the car for a full week before I start the trip.

1. You will have range anxiety. Everyone does. It takes experience to feel comfortable. Better to err on the safe side. Adds time to the trip but eases the mind.

2. I'm 6'3'. The seats are good but eventually I feel it in my hips. Readjusting the 12 way seats while driving helps alot.
3. I think you have EAP Enhanced Autopilot. Use it as much as possible. I use it on local roads as well as the interstates. It greatly reduces stress and is generally a better driver than we are. Do heed Tesla's admonitions to keep pressure or actually resistance on the wheel. Strange things do happen. You may want to set it for Lane change without confirmation. It takes time to be comfortable with EAP and cruise control.

1. You will have range anxiety. Everyone does. It takes experience to feel comfortable. Better to err on the safe side. Adds time to the trip but eases the mind.
2. I'm 6'3'. The seats are good but eventually I feel it in my hips. Readjusting the 12 way seats while driving helps alot.
3. I think you have EAP Enhanced Autopilot. Use it as much as possible. I use it on local roads as well as the interstates. It greatly reduces stress and is generally a better driver than we are. Do heed Tesla's admonitions to keep pressure or actually resistance on the wheel. Strange things do happen. You may want to set it for Lane change without confirmation. It takes time to be comfortable with EAP and cruise control.
The TWCC(cruise control) is really amazing but for a newbie it takes a leap of faith. There are situations where you need to intervene. Curves at lights for example. You will learn.
4. Make sure your tire pressure is set according to the door sticker. Rotate on schedule. I use one of the trip odometers to track that as I don't like stickers and crap on my windshield.
5. Use the interior climate control to maintain climate when you are out of the car while you are traveling. My guess is that it takes less energy in the heat than cooling it than not using it.
6. The navigation system is really good but you can't add waypoints. Sometimes there is an alternate route I'd prefer but to do that you have to have to navigate in segments.
Feel free to ask me questions. Sometimes I may actually know the answer.

The TWCC(cruise control) is really amazing but for a newbie it takes a leap of faith. There are situations where you need to intervene. Curves at lights for example. You will learn.
4. Make sure your tire pressure is set according to the door sticker. Rotate on schedule. I use one of the trip odometers to track that as I don't like stickers and crap on my windshield.
5. Use the interior climate control to maintain climate when you are out of the car while you are traveling. My guess is that it takes less energy in the heat than cooling it than not using it.
6. The navigation system is really good but you can't add waypoints. Sometimes there is an alternate route I'd prefer but to do that you have to have to navigate in segments.
Feel free to ask me questions. Sometimes I may actually know the answer.
Fantastic. Thanks

As an owner of an A6, my wife says she would pick it any day over her husband's Tesla Model X. My car was more reliable and dependable in getting me where I needed to go.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
I think the horses are already out of the barn on that one. Even if we stopped using gas today, there is plenty of money over there. But I certainly don’t like giving them even more. (Yes I realize the US produces oil but it is still a global commodity.)

US is now a net exporter of crude. We are not a net importer. Amazing how fracking has changed things.

US is now a net exporter of crude. We are not a net importer. Amazing how fracking has changed things.

Again.... that does not matter because oil is a global commodity.

The fact that we still consume it, makes the oil that the Middle East produces, more valuable.

Not to mention the wonderful waste water fracking has produced.

No. There's been the odd week with net exports, but still a net importer in every month, according to the EIA. They forecast that the USA will become a net exporter in late 2019, and overall in 2020.

Monthly net imports:
U.S. Net Imports of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Forecast:
The United States imports and exports substantial volumes of petroleum - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)