Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked this question in a "Battery/Charging" related thread, but everyone there was too busy discussing charge capabilities and numbers :rolleyes: so no one answered...

Has anyone here already purchased or can recommend a home charger?

Is it best to go with the Tesla one? or did you go with a generic?

Reactions: rpayton1974
I asked this question in a "Battery/Charging" related thread, but everyone there was too busy discussing charge capabilities and numbers :rolleyes: so no one answered...

Is it best to go with the Tesla one? or did you go with a general
I just installed a NEMA 15-40, which seems to be the best option.

Sooo searching for my source code this morning I had to hits for "5Y".... there was no N though :(
Do you mean "J"? (Tesla VINs start with 5YJ).

However, I was curious... now that I have a VIN and it's clearly displayed on my order page, I thought I'd check the source, searched on "5YJ" and got nothing(!) I'm not sure how that works -- I guess the VIN may be getting displayed based on a dynamic call that doesn't actually write into the source(?) I haven't analyzed the source (and while I work in software, I'm definitely not a web/HTML guy).

The Firefox plugin that's been shared here does display the VIN as well, so the folks who wrote that are able to see it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but whatever I was doing prior to getting my VIN would not have found the VIN anyway.

Will install 14-50 eventually and use the mobile charger. For SR+ no charging benefit for the wall charger so literally just for ease of use.

Reactions: GiFer
Do you mean "J"? (Tesla VINs start with 5YJ).

However, I was curious... now that I have a VIN and it's clearly displayed on my order page, I thought I'd check the source, searched on "5YJ" and got nothing(!) I'm not sure how that works -- I guess the VIN may be getting displayed based on a dynamic call that doesn't actually write into the source(?) I haven't analyzed the source (and while I work in software, I'm definitely not a web/HTML guy).

The Firefox plugin that's been shared here does display the VIN as well, so the folks who wrote that are able to see it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but whatever I was doing prior to getting my VIN would not have found the VIN anyway.

Woops sorry, yes

I installed a nema 14-50 in my garage. All the research I conducted couldn't justify me spending the $500 on the wall connector since the SR+ cannot take advantage of the faster charge rate than the included one. Of course I had to purchase the 14-50 adapter for the included charger.

If you have to put it outside or drive over 100 miles a day I would go with Tesla’s. Since the SR+ is limited to a max 32 amp charge you don’t need a breaker larger than 40 amp. I’m actually sticking with a 30 amp breaker I already have for my trailer and that will still give me 22 mph charging.

Reactions: GiFer
Let’s come up with a list of healthy alternatives to hitting refresh on the Tesla account page hoping to see a VIN populate. I’ll start!

1. Watch Model 3 videos on YouTube until my eyes bleed.

Your turn!
Play with your $175 Tesla Key Fob (Basically an overpriced HotWheels) for hours until you can't anymore...
Or Spend HUNDREDS of dollars buying *sugar* for your imaginary Tesla...