Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had two extraneous $250 orders by the time it was all said and done, a total of $500, and the way Tesla handled it kind of took me by surprise. They took $300 off my down payment, and the other $200 was subtracted from my loan amount (so my 72 months of payments went down $3 per month…
Thanks, I guess the difference is mine is a lease, so when they took the 100 dollars off the total cost of the car, my monthly payments over 36 months went down by 50 dollars total, it didn’t add up to 100.

so basically total cost I paid them went up by 50 :/

Thanks, I guess the difference is mine is a lease, so when they took the 100 dollars off the total cost of the car, my monthly payments over 36 months went down by 50 dollars total, it didn’t add up to 100.

so basically total cost I paid them went up by 50 :/

OK. I was wondering if maybe you might get $50 of your buyout amount at the end of the lease, but Tesla doesn’t even offer buyouts, I don’t think…

Does anyone know if replacing your insurance (my renewal for my insurance is 10/2/21) will move your EDD back? I had uploaded it back in July when I completed my profile. (Current Edd is 9/19-9/30)
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Doesn’t seem like anyone is paying attention. I uploaded mine, seemed fine but it showed as incomplete from the next day until I took delivery.

Reactions: NCee
I’m really starting to consider jumping the SR+ ship for the LR. It would only be about $137 more a month across my 72 month loan. I would get an additional almost 100 miles of range, much faster 0-60 time and of course, I’d get the car sooner because it’s more expensive. Someone please talk me out of it lol

I’m really starting to consider jumping the SR+ ship for the LR. It would only be about $137 more a month across my 72 month loan. I would get an additional almost 100 miles of range, much faster 0-60 time and of course, I’d get the car sooner because it’s more expensive. Someone please talk me out of it lol
Buying a Tesla isn't a great financial move for any of us, generally speaking. It's responsible in other ways, but not so much for our wallets. However, "only about $137 more a month" for 72 months is not an insignificant outlay. I had a loan on a Nissan Frontier when I was younger, and the payments over 5 years for that truck were about $300 per month--you're talking about adding nearly half of that monthly payment for a mere upgrade--again, that is not insignificant. If you were to invest that $137 in an index fund each month over the next 6 years instead, you could end up with about $13,000 in savings based on the historical average return of the S&P 500. Which would turn into $128,000 in 25 years if left in the same fund--a significant boost to your retirement savings.

Most car loans will seem "doable" if you stretch out the payments over 72 months, but (in a normal market) you're putting yourself at high risk for being underwater on that loan for many years, and you'll likely tire of the car before you've got it paid off, which for many people results in rolling the balance into yet another car loan, which means they might still be paying for that LR upgrade in 15 years when they're not even driving the same car.

So your hypothetical options are: 1. invest the money and end up with a hundred grand, or 2. spend the money on a car you probably won't be driving, but might still be paying for, in 6 years.

Did that work, LOL?

I was thinking the same thing. Actually my config would be the same $$ if i dump the FSD from my SR+ Order and go with a LR order without it.

Matter of fact, i've seen quite a bit of LR Performance models hit up and i was almost considering that. My wife would just lose her *sugar* tho. For revenge, she would come home with an over priced Jeep Gladiator or something.

Reactions: martinmac85
Buying a Tesla isn't a great financial move for any of us, generally speaking. It's responsible in other ways, but not so much for our wallets. However, "only about $137 more a month" for 72 months is not an insignificant outlay. I had a loan on a Nissan Frontier when I was younger, and the payments over 5 years for that truck were about $300 per month--you're talking about adding nearly half of that monthly payment for a mere upgrade--again, that is not insignificant. If you were to invest that $137 in an index fund each month over the next 6 years instead, you could end up with about $13,000 in savings based on the historical average return of the S&P 500. Which would turn into $128,000 in 25 years if left in the same fund--a significant boost to your retirement savings.

Most car loans will seem "doable" if you stretch out the payments over 72 months, but (in a normal market) you're putting yourself at high risk for being underwater on that loan for many years, and you'll likely tire of the car before you've got it paid off, which for many people results in rolling the balance into yet another car loan, which means they might still be paying for that LR upgrade in 15 years when they're not even driving the same car.

So your hypothetical options are: 1. invest the money and end up with a hundred grand, or 2. spend the money on a car you probably won't be driving, but might still be paying for, in 6 years.

Did that work, LOL?
Its spouting crap like this that makes all the car salesmen hate you ;)

The devil on my other shoulder is cursing you.

Did that work, LOL?
Yikes… I guess I got what I asked for. See ya guys! I’ll be buying a used Corolla now lol But in all honesty great point! One of the main reasons I’m getting a Tesla is because I have a 42 mile round trip commute everyday and the savings in gas will pay for a significant amount of the loan per month. I know my electric bill will change a bit as well, but I do have access to some free charging sites. So, that’ll help supplement a bit. I do plan to keep the Model 3 for at least 10 years so that’s why I was pondering the $10K upgrade for the added range and features. Decisions, decisions 💸💸💸

Reactions: Baluchi