Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+: Vancouver to Whistler trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with an SR+ (or any other config) driven from Vancouver to Whistler before?

Planning some day trips, just not sure how much of an impact the cold would make...

Fully charged SR+: 360-ish km(?)
Vancouver to Whistler: -121 km (-242 round trip, 90 mins each way)
Heated seats + A/C for 3 hours: -? km
Sentry mode: -10 km(?)
Phantom drain: - 2km
Range loss due to west coast winter: -??? km

I know the trip is definitely possible with supercharging in Squamish and Whistler, but it would be extremely impressive in my mind if I could drop my friends off that night without having to push pause during the day for charging.

Anyone with an SR+ (or any other config) driven from Vancouver to Whistler before?

Planning some day trips, just not sure how much of an impact the cold would make...

I know the trip is definitely possible with supercharging in Squamish and Whistler, but it would be extremely impressive in my mind if I could drop my friends off that night without having to push pause during the day for charging.
Ha.. I kind of considered this for a maiden voyage.. abetterrouteplanner suggests it’s doable as round trip starting at 90% for me from east van. If I want to drive fast and use up more kWh, some supercharging is pretty easy in Squamish on the way home including grabbing a coffee and bathroom break. I will definitely be doing it in my first week of ownership. At least to Squamish and back, hopefully I have time to whistler and back.

Reactions: cadetsea
I don’t know the practicalities, but isn’t it great to live in a place where you might need air conditioning in a one-day drive?

The old “sailing in the morning and skiing in the afternoon” of Vancouver living, with a Tesla drive in the middle.
It’s paradise. Nowhere else like it in the world. My kids are so damn lucky they get to grow up here. I’m so damn lucky I get to drive them around in a Model 3!

Autopilot will make the Sunday drive home after skiing whistler (or anywhere) a lot more appealing.

It’s paradise. Nowhere else like it in the world. My kids are so damn lucky they get to grow up here. I’m so damn lucky I get to drive them around in a Model 3!

Autopilot will make the Sunday drive home after skiing whistler (or anywhere) a lot more appealing.

Poor me. I live on Vancouver Island. I only get to drive from Cowichan Valley to Comox Valley regularly.

I’ve lived in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, and BC.

As I heard a priest one time saying to a bishop, “The biggest ecclesiastical problem I have is the widespread local belief among parishioners that this is Heaven.”

Range Anxiety....

With a day trip, don't turn Sentry Mode on, and you shouldn't have to worry about phantom drain.
Since you've got Superchargers every 60 km, it is a total no brainer.

So, with those givens, if for some reason you are getting low, and assuming that Squamish is where you would stop, then you'd only need to take on about 60 km, or about 10 minutes. And after being in the car that long, getting a drink, relieving the bladder, and stretching the legs would probably already be on the agenda.
Another option would be to charge in Whistler and have dinner with your friends.

If you want to make sure that you can do the trip, drop the speed a little bit. 5 km/hr could have a huge difference for this trip. On the way back, the onboard nav will be your advantage, as, as long as you are routing home, it will let you know if you can make is and if questionable, it will suggest slowing to a speed for which it feels really comfortable.

Your calculations are probably not far off, but no matter you just need to pay attention to the state of charge and try to factor in the unknown. IMHO making a stop in Squamish pre-emptively to grab a coffee and charge for 10 minutes on the way back is the smart move. Who doesn't want a drink or a snack after skiing anyway.

We made the round-trip regularly from East Van in the winter in our LR RWD. Leaving with 90% in the morning, typically returning with around 15% depending on driving style and temps. I can't see you having any issues with doing it on a single charge this time of year, but in the winter, plan on a stop in Squamish on the return leg.
Brilliant! Was it difficult to find charging in Whistler without staying at a hotel? PlugShare, etc. makes me think it's a mess up there, and with all the new EVs rolling out, I don't want to assume I'll be able to find a plug.

Road noise wasn't too bad on the Sea to Sky?

Brilliant! Was it difficult to find charging in Whistler without staying at a hotel? PlugShare, etc. makes me think it's a mess up there, and with all the new EVs rolling out, I don't want to assume I'll be able to find a plug.

Even with and SR+ I will be leaving the j1772 charging spots in whistler to those shorter range ev’s who really need it. From whistler to the Squamish supercharger is a mostly downhill run anyways. I wouldn't look forward to jockeying for charging spots on a busy day in whistler, even the supercharger in the hotel.

• Love
Reactions: malou and cadetsea
Even with and SR+ I will be leaving the j1772 charging spots in whistler to those shorter range ev’s who really need it. From whistler to the Squamish supercharger is a mostly downhill run anyways. I wouldn't look forward to jockeying for charging spots on a busy day in whistler, even the supercharger in the hotel.

Great point, the regen should definitely help any config to reach the Squamish supercharger.

Charge in Squamish instead of Whistler. The Whistler Supercharger is an urban charger with a max 72kW versus 120kW in Squamish. You’ll get better charging rate on the return leg when you’re SOC is low. With 386km of range in the SR+ or about 347km at 90%, you have nothing to worry about. I’d be more worried about traffic and accidents from boneheads using the Sea To Sky as a race track.

As was mentioned by others, you'll use very little charge even in the dead of winter getting from Whistler to Squamish. Charging at the free spots is a fiasco - if you absolutely need to, there is the supercharger at the fairmont, but parking ain't cheap.

One other thing to note, autopilot can't handle the sea to sky very well. Between Whistler and Squampton it's not bad, but between West Van and Squamish it really doesn't handle it well, unless you're traveling below speed limit in traffic.

Road noise is negligible, brand new highway! Enjoy the drive! Love to hear an update when the winter does set in, I know the SR+ is more efficient than the LR. Cheers and safe driving.

Reactions: cadetsea
One other thing to note, autopilot can't handle the sea to sky very well. Between Whistler and Squampton it's not bad, but between West Van and Squamish it really doesn't handle it well, unless you're traveling below speed limit in traffic.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried autopilot (just the basic TACC + autosteer, not FSD or anything) on the sea to sky lately? I wonder if they've made any improvements that make it more usable on the north shore-Squamish leg?

@stevedavies76 when you say it doesn't handle it well, what happens? Do you get into dangerous situations? Does it disengage a lot and ask you to take over?