Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ vs LR AWD $13k price difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

So I had placed an order in March 2021 and had to put my order on hold. So right now I still have access to March 2021 pricing for the SR+ which is $37,990, so $2k cheaper. I can’t make any configuration changes without the price increasing. It’s the basic white, aero wheels, black interior.

A LR AWD would cost $12k more at $49,990 if I went with the same configuration. If you include the WA tax incentive, it’s a $13,200 difference.

In terms of driving I mainly drive from my apartment in the burbs to Seattle (a distance of 10-12 miles each way), in the winter I will drive from my apartment to Stevens Pass which is 1.5 hours or 72 miles. There is a supercharger on the way which is 22 miles in, so between a supercharger and the mountain it’s 50 miles.

I also like doing road trips although I haven’t done as many the past year. I like doing Seattle to Portland, Vancouver BC, Leavenworth, Olympics, and other trips like Seattle to Colorado, California, Arizona. Usually the cross state road trips (not counting Vancouver and Portland) are only once every 2 years, and I will usually do a road trip within Washington state or Oregon/Canada 2-3 times a year.

It seems like with the supercharger network, a SR+ would suffice. I would prefer to save $12k but wanted to hear opinions if SR+ would be sufficient for me.

My main worry is whether I can go snowboarding at Stevens Pass or Crystal mountain with the SR+. I plan on just using the default tires or getting all seasons. I don’t like the hassle of winter tires, especially since in Seattle it never gets that cold to warrant using them. Was wondering if anyone had experience with the SR+ for skiing or snowboarding. I do know that sometimes WSDOT requires non-AWD cars to carry chains. So not sure if that hurts the car in any way.

...I would prefer to save $12k but wanted to hear opinions if SR+ would be sufficient for me...

Range is King! Get the most that you can afford.

In theory, SR+ is fine but paying more for LR means convenience and peace of mind.

I wouldn't count on getting EPA numbers in my real driving either. It's also reduced in cold winter too.

With extra range you can have more options such as skipping a busy charging station and drive to the less busy one.

I've never heard anyone regretted paying for the extra range but I do hear regrets for not paying for more range.

Range is King! Get the most that you can afford.

In theory, SR+ is fine but paying more for LR means convenience and peace of mind.

I wouldn't count on getting EPA numbers in my real driving either. It's also reduced in cold winter too.

With extra range you can have more options such as skipping a busy charging station and drive to the less busy one.

I've never heard anyone regretted paying for the extra range but I do hear regrets for not paying for more range.
Yeah true. I just feel like paying nearly $40k for a car was already a lot to me (this is my first car purchase, I’m 23). I can still max out my 401k as well as my Roth IRA if I get the LR AWD, but $13k is a huge difference.

If the SR+ doesn’t work well in the snow, then I’ll probably go for the LR AWD. The dilemma is that in Seattle you won’t need snow tires (since temps even in the winter can go above 45 degrees which can degrade winter tires from what I understand). So they would only be useful within the mountain.

Yeah true. I just feel like paying nearly $40k for a car was already a lot to me (this is my first car purchase, I’m 23). I can still max out my 401k as well as my Roth IRA if I get the LR AWD, but $13k is a huge difference.

If the SR+ doesn’t work well in the snow, then I’ll probably go for the LR AWD. The dilemma is that in Seattle you won’t need snow tires (since temps even in the winter can go above 45 degrees which can degrade winter tires from what I understand). So they would only be useful within the mountain.
Save some more money and then get it.

A year ago I bought a 2020 M3LR. I debated saving the bucks and going for the Standard Range+, but I also like to go skiing. It's 100 miles each way to my favorite Vermont ski area. And, the winter here can be very cold. When I considered the cold weather drain on the battery, I decided that the LR was essential. Thanks to the virus, I haven't done any really long road trips, just the occasional trip to Boston, 113 miles away. But in the winter, even that round trip would be cutting it close with the SR+. Also, the SR+ doesn't come with AWD which is essential on snowy roads, and even very helpful on wet roads. For me at least those extra bucks were well worth it.

Is the SR also RWD? I'd go for the LR AWD. Even though I have RWD, which was the only thing available at the time, others with AWD say it's much better in winter driving conditions. Cold weather really makes the energy efficiency take a hit, so I'd definitely to with the LR.

Reactions: Shelburne
I have the LR and just added a SR+ too. You've explained that saving $'s is key at this point in your life, so get the SR+. If it doesn't fit your purpose after a year or so, sell it--you won't lose too much money with the SR+ -- at the price you're locked into you'll actually make money!!! In my mind, this is a no-brainer for you. I live in Scottsdale, and travel to Flagstaff which is in the mountains and cold (from 1300 ft to 7000 ft elevation). My LR goes from 100% battery to 30% on the drive (going about 85mph straight uphill). There is a Supercharger about halfway that I never stop at. With my SR+, I would stop for 15-min to top off the charge so I don't risk it. I probably will drive this route 8x a year in my Tesla..so say 24x over 3-years...that's like $500 per stop. The other trips would be stopping more, but sounds like that's only happening once every other year. The key is that you can always sell the SR+ if it becomes annoying.

Reactions: Nine and XPsionic
I took both for rides. Wife thought the LR was too fast and preferred the SR+. I took delivery of my LR last week and did the acc boost yesterday. Shhhh..don’t tell her!

With resell values right now you can’t lose. Go for the LR!

Get what you can comfortably purchase, almost anyone can go into a dealership (or order from Tesla) and purchase a vehicle that can’t actually afford but can buy, finance or lease. Only you know what you can comfortably purchase.

You should only stretch yourself financially when you buy a house or something that will appreciate in value not depreciate like a vehicle in my opinion

Reactions: house9 and XPsionic
Get what you can comfortably purchase, almost anyone can go into a dealership (or order from Tesla) and purchase a vehicle that can’t actually afford but can buy, finance or lease. Only you know what you can comfortably purchase.

You should only stretch yourself financially when you buy a house or something that will appreciate in value not depreciate like a vehicle in my opinion
Yeah I’m just mainly concerned with the winter driving dynamics. Like I could always borrow my dad’s AWD car for snowboarding and my friends do have an AWD car, but would rather have a car than can do everything.

Reactions: cougar1968
Try some simulations in ABRP, abetterrouteplanner, for your trips. Out West, some of the areas have wider spacing between superchargers, which means you'll have to limit your speed in a SR+. In normal weather, 75mph, but in Winter, you may have to go 65mph or less. Plus, you spend way more time at superchargers in a SR+. Just throwing in a sample trip from SeaTac to Denver in Winter shows 25% of the trip time of 25h, is supercharging. In a LR you could do the same Winter trip in 22 2/3hrs with over 1hr less of supercharging. Of course, if you only do one long road trip every couple years, and it's not in Winter, you may not mind, for the cost savings.

Reactions: XPsionic
This may be a bit more of a risk, but buy both. Get your SR+ for the discounted rate and then sell (likely for over purchase price given what you locked in, used car market, and lack of SR+ until next year) to get the LR you want in a few months when your reservation is ready (also gives you a few months to sell the SR+).

Could be risky, but may pay off in the end.

This may be a bit more of a risk, but buy both. Get your SR+ for the discounted rate and then sell (likely for over purchase price given what you locked in, used car market, and lack of SR+ until next year) to get the LR you want in a few months when your reservation is ready (also gives you a few months to sell the SR+).

If you live in a state without sales tax on cars, this would work great. Otherwise, not worth the hassle.

I really don’t want to go through the trouble of that if possible. Too much hassle. I’m sure there’s upside but I would rather just buy the car I want from the get go.

Reactions: house9
I would want AWD, but most concerning is the range. My M3P supposed to get 299 range. But that is before 90% charging. At 90% charging I think the car is showing 246 miles for this hugely a little over 2 year old car with 19000 miles. Realistic range is probably around 200. I'm not thrilled with this as even filling up at home for a 200 mile drive means stopping at an SC for a bit unless the destination has charging. On the way back its even worse as you have to stop twice and charging is even longer. Also, don't kid yourself that the SC will actually be working or not full. At the Disney supercharger, its always at least half full which means you will charge slow, really slow. Slow enough that you will probably want to kill yourself for buying a Tesla (just kidding, a little bit). Bottom line is get all the range you can otherwise you will be miserable with the car. No matter what people say as well, the SC rates aren't all that cheap. If you going to use that alot, you might as well just buy a gas car. Plus as I said previously, it gets annoying sitting around for 20 plus minutes waiting for the car to charge. I live in Florida, we use air alot which doesn't help, but my understanding is Cold is worse.