Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ vs LR AWD $13k price difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly I might rerun calculations and see if I could afford it. If I put $0 down it might be pretty doable to get the LR rn
I don't want to beat a dead horse, I just see myself here. if you need to rerun the calculations and you are considering putting zero down, you probably can't afford it comfortably. The worse thing is in a year when something better comes out to be sitting there saying what the heck did I do this for. Especially on a depreciating car. I've done this twice with houses and am finally at the point when I can actually afford the house and went through a number of times saying "what the heck was I thinking" Tesla's also have a lot of issues as well. Compared to my wife's car, they feel a bit like an economy car, My wife's lexus and prior infinity were much nicer on the interior. The body alignment which I understand has gotten better is ridiculous, the paint is ridiculous etc. The voice system is pretty awesome, certainly IMHO well above most cars, but lacking carplay can be a detriment to many people. Just some things to think about. The autopilot is awesome for what it is, I test drove a number of cars before we got my wife her new car a couple of months ago and none could match autopilot so that is definitely a plus. However, being honestly truthful, if it wasn't for the performance doing 0 to 60 in just about 3 seconds, I don't know that I would be so thrilled at this point. So all I"m trying to say is that I don't know that I'd be rushing to stretch my budget to get this. I'm hoping to pickup the cybertruck in 2 or 3 years that should hopefully alleviate some of the issues and have the range that makes it worth it as well.

I have a SR+ and have no regrets. I take 2-3 road trips a year and my daily commute is 36 miles roundtrip. The road trips take an extra hour for charging for every 5hrs I drive on the roadtrip. The car is 50/50 weight distributed so the rear wheels get plenty of weight on them. So the RWD is no worse than a FWD gas car in the winter. I drove a FWD Honda Accord in St. Louis winters no problem. Save that money and get the SR+ if you're using it mostly for daily commute and the occasional road trip.

I have a SR+ and have no regrets. I take 2-3 road trips a year and my daily commute is 36 miles roundtrip. The road trips take an extra hour for charging for every 5hrs I drive on the roadtrip. The car is 50/50 weight distributed so the rear wheels get plenty of weight on them. So the RWD is no worse than a FWD gas car in the winter. I drove a FWD Honda Accord in St. Louis winters no problem. Save that money and get the SR+ if you're using it mostly for daily commute and the occasional road trip.
I think you need to add some context here as you making it sound much better than it is in reality. You aren't driving 5 hours and stopping to charge for an hour.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I think you need to add some context here as you making it sound much better than it is in reality. You aren't driving 5 hours and stopping to charge for an hour.
No of course not. My bad, I misspoke. I'm saying over the course of a typical 4hr gas car drive you'd have to stop 2 times for 30min to charge in the SR+. Adding 1hr of charging for every 4hrs of driving.

Agreed. But expecting your car to go "299 miles" going 85 mph is unrealistic. Efficiency in any car (ICE or electric) goes down as speed goes up...
Of course, but that is the point, it depends on the speed. Here 80-85 is what people are driving, going slower can be down right dangerous. With my wife's gas SUV, if I got the same speed, we will pull probably 400 miles before we need gas. Big difference in the Tesla where you are stopping 15-20 minutes or so every 200 miles or less.

One other thing that I don't think was mentioned here is not just that one off trip, but what about the Saturday or Sunday when you are out driving around to different places. Then you want to go out to dinner, but you worried about the range. Superchargers aren't all that convenient depending on where you live and they also aren't all that economical. I've had range anxiety a number of times just from driving around to different furniture stores for the day.

Of course, but that is the point, it depends on the speed. Here 80-85 is what people are driving, going slower can be down right dangerous. With my wife's gas SUV, if I got the same speed, we will pull probably 400 miles before we need gas. Big difference in the Tesla where you are stopping 15-20 minutes or so every 200 miles or less.

One other thing that I don't think was mentioned here is not just that one off trip, but what about the Saturday or Sunday when you are out driving around to different places. Then you want to go out to dinner, but you worried about the range. Superchargers aren't all that convenient depending on where you live and they also aren't all that economical. I've had range anxiety a number of times just from driving around to different furniture stores for the day.
And you have a LR, no? Having range anxiety on a weekend drive around seems crazy to me...do you not have a charger at your house?

I have a performance, I believe the LR would be better for range. Of course I have a charger at my house. But that doesn't charge you up too quick after you out for the day.
I have the Tesla Wall Connector at my house and can charge my 2021 LR from 0% to 100% in 8 hours. Of course you are never at 0% and rarely need 100%, so real world charging from 20% to 80% is 4-5 hours. I didn't get the SR+ for all the reasons you are explaining and the P is closer to the LR than the SR+. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't really understand the dynamic you are presenting as even going 85 mph you would have to drive A LOT on a Saturday to have range anxiety. Maybe I don't understand the South Florida area well enough but I wouldn't think you would need to drive a lot to get to all the places you need to go on the weekend (you're not in the middle of nowhere).

Reactions: XPsionic
I have the Tesla Wall Connector at my house and can charge my 2021 LR from 0% to 100% in 8 hours. Of course you are never at 0% and rarely need 100%, so real world charging from 20% to 80% is 4-5 hours. I didn't get the SR+ for all the reasons you are explaining and the P is closer to the LR than the SR+. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't really understand the dynamic you are presenting as even going 85 mph you would have to drive A LOT on a Saturday to have range anxiety. Maybe I don't understand the South Florida area well enough but I wouldn't think you would need to drive a lot to get to all the places you need to go on the weekend (you're not in the middle of nowhere).
Everything is like 20 miles this way, 20 miles that way, it all adds up, plus car sitting around, sentry mode etc. I'm only starting at 246 miles currently at 90% and even that goes down quicker so probably about 220 true miles. As you said, you usually aren't going that low on the percent and I don't really like to test it. I've been down under 5% I think once as I was driving home from the kids camp as I wanted to test it. Get home with 136 miles left and you going to dinner 35 miles away. That 136 miles is probably realistically 112 in my car or slightly less. Now wife decides she wants to go somewhere after dinner. Not really going to happen. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it happens. I wouldn't want to be driving an SR+ when I'm already worrying about it with my car. Just my 2 cents, everyone is going to be different.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Feel like I’m getting mixed answers 😅 I guess you’re right though, I don’t think I can comfortably afford the LR AWD. I can afford the SR+. Just figuring out if it’s worth it

All decisions have their price. You'll be fine with SR+ with some inconvenience and probably regrets not having more range. Inconvenience and regrets don't mean that it's not doable. You can totally.

Hi everyone,

So I had placed an order in March 2021 and had to put my order on hold. So right now I still have access to March 2021 pricing for the SR+ which is $37,990, so $2k cheaper. I can’t make any configuration changes without the price increasing. It’s the basic white, aero wheels, black interior.

A LR AWD would cost $12k more at $49,990 if I went with the same configuration. If you include the WA tax incentive, it’s a $13,200 difference.

In terms of driving I mainly drive from my apartment in the burbs to Seattle (a distance of 10-12 miles each way), in the winter I will drive from my apartment to Stevens Pass which is 1.5 hours or 72 miles. There is a supercharger on the way which is 22 miles in, so between a supercharger and the mountain it’s 50 miles.

I also like doing road trips although I haven’t done as many the past year. I like doing Seattle to Portland, Vancouver BC, Leavenworth, Olympics, and other trips like Seattle to Colorado, California, Arizona. Usually the cross state road trips (not counting Vancouver and Portland) are only once every 2 years, and I will usually do a road trip within Washington state or Oregon/Canada 2-3 times a year.

It seems like with the supercharger network, a SR+ would suffice. I would prefer to save $12k but wanted to hear opinions if SR+ would be sufficient for me.

My main worry is whether I can go snowboarding at Stevens Pass or Crystal mountain with the SR+. I plan on just using the default tires or getting all seasons. I don’t like the hassle of winter tires, especially since in Seattle it never gets that cold to warrant using them. Was wondering if anyone had experience with the SR+ for skiing or snowboarding. I do know that sometimes WSDOT requires non-AWD cars to carry chains. So not sure if that hurts the car in any way.

SR+ is perfect for what you described. No way I'd pay 12k more for 100 miles or whatever it is in range in your example.